Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Some Pics and Info on my Sim-Pit progress

OK, So it's not much progress yet but I have to keep telling myself this is a weekend project . . .

I whipped up a small website to document the sim and blog my progress at www.mycessnasim.info. I've actually made a lot more progress than what's pictured on the site, but don't have any pics of the most recent work. But I'm hoping to update the pics later this week.

Beyond what's shown on the site I have a back wall installed, the doors, hinges, and latches installed, seat rails and seats, rudder bars and pedals, and I recently acquired an upper engine cowl. The fuselage is now in my micro garage which is too much of a disaster area to take pics in so as soon as I can role it outside this week I'll get more pics and update the site.

Comments and feedback are always welcome. Several of you directly or indirectly have contributed to the progress I've made so far and to much of the planning for the future work. MANY THANKS!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    https://www.facebook.com/mycessnasim PC: Intel Core i7 Haswell @ 3.8GHz, 8Gb Ram, Win 7 64Bit, dual SSDs, GeFroce 780 SIM: P3Dv4.1, FSUIPC5, Link2FSMulti, ASN16, Orbix, REX, BFF Force Feedback

2. Thanks Matt Olieman, No Longer Active, AK Mongo thanked for this post
    500+ This must be a daytime job

Re: Some Pics and Info on my Sim-Pit progress

I like your site Tom.

Your desktop setup is pretty neat in itself, and I really like what you did with the ch yoke buttons and levers mounted to a new panel. All of my buttons are currently sitting in a plastic bag waiting for a solution.

Having the OEM panels and pedestal in the pit sure solve a lot of problems with reverse engineering, although I can't imagine the challenge it must be to retrofit things neatly behind the cessna cutouts.

What kind of performance are you getting out of your i5 rig? I am debating whether it is worth the extra money to go 17 2600K or 15 2500K. Apparently the i5's are overclockable to nearly the i7 level.

I look forward to more updates!

Reid
    http://juneaucessnasim.blogspot.com
    N58243 (virtual)- Low and Slow...

Quote Originally Posted by AK Mongo View Post
    . . . What kind of performance are you getting out of your i5 rig? I am debating whether it is worth the extra money to go 17 2600K or 15 2500K. Apparently the i5's are overclockable to nearly the i7 level. . . .
    Running two monitors with my i5 tends to tax it quite a bit. I have used all sorts of tips and tricks I've found here and other sources to tune and tweak the machine and FSX short of overclocking. I can get 20 to 24 FPS with spikes to 29 but I also get some screen stutter or jitters if I get anyplace north of about 25 FPS. I've been told that might be a video card issue related to memory but I don't want to spend money upgrading the pc for the desktop pit since that will take away from the busfget for the fuselage conversion.

My plan is to go with an i7 for the visuals but I also need to do a great deal more research on video cards between now and when I make the purchase.
    https://www.facebook.com/mycessnasim PC: Intel Core i7 Haswell @ 3.8GHz, 8Gb Ram, Win 7 64Bit, dual SSDs, GeFroce 780 SIM: P3Dv4.1, FSUIPC5, Link2FSMulti, ASN16, Orbix, REX, BFF Force Feedback

Hi,
    Why did you cut the tail section off the plane?, sorta removed some of the character.
    The thing I like about my pit is if I am sat in the cockpit, I look behind me and I am still in a plane, the realism is errrm unreal.
    I still have a long way to go but I am entering the enjoyable stage - the demolition is over and the paneling is done, just need to chose carpets and wall coverings and seats and visuals and electronics and lights and........ never mind.
    Allan

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor

Why did you cut the tail section off the plane?
    Probably space restriction, many cockpit builders with cessna chops usually curtain off behind with a black curtain. Seen it done many times...
    GA or the Highway!

Quote Originally Posted by notgotaclue View Post
    . . . Why did you cut the tail section off the plane? . . .
    That was one of the more difficult decisions. The biggest issue was available space indoors at my home. The second was the fact that the view to the rear, while I completely agree that it adds to the realism, is only of modest value (unless maybe your a fighter pilot). It'll be expensive enough to get visuals wrapped around to 180 plus degrees in front, trying to get visuals to the rear presents a space and expense challenge that puts it out of reach for me.