25+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Who makes the Best Sim Instruments? Pro & Cons

I want to build some kind of realistic simulator for IFR training at home using real ( steam or simulated) instruments and avoid a keyboard as much as possible . I am considering starting with at a Cessna172 style panel as much as possible as that is what I am use to. To get going what are the alternatives
    pros and cons ?
    So far I have looked at Simkits, VRinsight, Goflight,Saitek etc. and to be honest most look pretty good, though I'm sure there are differences.

I have a good fast computer,and Saitek Pro Yoke, rudder peddals and throttle quadrant( not happy with these toys to be honest) .

Re: Who makes the Best Sim Instruments? Pro & Cons

I am in the throws of the same evaluation only in my case it's to build out the MIP on an actual Cessna 172 fuselage that I am using for my sim pit. I will be following this thread with great interest as this is one of the bigger cash investments on the horizon for me and I am still undecided.

I didn't see Flight Illusions on your list and I have read good things about their hardware and support. Be sure to check them out as well.

I'm with you on the Saitek hardware. I have some of their panels (radio, AP, switch, etc.) on my desktop sim pit and while it serves a purpose there, it will never see the inside of my sim pit build. I'm not real thrilled with the quality of the components.
    https://www.facebook.com/mycessnasim PC: Intel Core i7 Haswell @ 3.8GHz, 8Gb Ram, Win 7 64Bit, dual SSDs, GeFroce 780 SIM: P3Dv4.1, FSUIPC5, Link2FSMulti, ASN16, Orbix, REX, BFF Force Feedback

25+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_G_2010 View Post
    I am in the throws of the same evaluation only in my case it's to build out the MIP on an actual Cessna 172 fuselage that I am using for my sim pit. I will be following this thread with great interest as this is one of the bigger cash investments on the horizon for me and I am still undecided.

I didn't see Flight Illusions on your list and I have read good things about their hardware and support. Be sure to check them out as well.

I'm with you on the Saitek hardware. I have some of their panels (radio, AP, switch, etc.) on my desktop sim pit and while it serves a purpose there, it will never see the inside of my sim pit build. I'm not real thrilled with the quality of the components.
    Flight Illusions are certainly right there on the top of the heap with Simkits for realistic components and quality......I suspect. That being said I have a real
    issue with pricing for simulator instruments that are priced equal to the real world product. Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting overpricing I'm just stating a fact.

To be honest I will likely go with something like the VRProPit and their radio stack for now. I may actually switch my own 172 from steam guages to glass panel so why not go the same way for the simulator at home ? If I go with two monitors for instruments at home I could always change the overlays if I want to simulate some kind of Glass Panel displays. As long as it functions and operates like the real one I will be happy, I'm just not keen on a keyboard.

25+ Posting Member

Bear in mind that there is a 5-6 week wait at flight illusions, once you place your order. Most other vendors have their stuff sitting on a shelf.
    I guess thats the price you pay if you want the best.

Frank Cooper

25+ Posting Member

5-6 weeks, wow that is a long time. Must only make the product on demand or is importing from abroad. Not something you would expect for higher
    end product. I must now have a look at their site and bookmark the same for future reference.

Quote Originally Posted by roxiedog13 View Post
    5-6 weeks, wow that is a long time. Must only make the product on demand or is importing from abroad. Not something you would expect for higher
    end product. I must now have a look at their site and bookmark the same for future reference.
    I e-mailed them a while back about the possibility of doing some custom gauges when I was considering a Cessna 337 Sky Master build. As I understand it from their reply they manufacture on an as needed basis and did confirm they are willing to do custom gauges.

That approach may explain the longer lead time.
    https://www.facebook.com/mycessnasim PC: Intel Core i7 Haswell @ 3.8GHz, 8Gb Ram, Win 7 64Bit, dual SSDs, GeFroce 780 SIM: P3Dv4.1, FSUIPC5, Link2FSMulti, ASN16, Orbix, REX, BFF Force Feedback

25+ Posting Member

Yeah, I think you hit the nail on the head, mate.

They only make up to order. I guess that helps them keep their overheads low.

I'm not in any all fired hurry anyway, having just waited 6 months for a TQ...hahaha

Nothing much, in this industry comes to you quickly.

Frank Cooper

25+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_G_2010 View Post
    I e-mailed them a while back about the possibility of doing some custom gauges when I was considering a Cessna 337 Sky Master build. As I understand it from their reply they manufacture on an as needed basis and did confirm they are willing to do custom gauges.

That approach may explain the longer lead time.
    This only confirms that I need to stay away from the steam gauges and go with a few monitors using overlays. As long as it represents "clearly" the instrument desired in an accurate manner and can be adjusted like the real world gauge then I'll be happy. Will be looking at the VRinsight option today.
    I assume this will work with their radio stack .

25+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by tennyson57 View Post
    Yeah, I think you hit the nail on the head, mate.

They only make up to order. I guess that helps them keep their overheads low.

I'm not in any all fired hurry anyway, having just waited 6 months for a TQ...hahaha

Nothing much, in this industry comes to you quickly.

Frank Cooper
    At these prices though you would think some product should be put on the shelf. My guess is that this company
    is just a small mom and pop operation or likely a side line from their real business.

What is a TQ , I'm still a newbie to the sim world but in the fast lane on the learning curve?