10+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Hardware for Displays

I'm working on my initial 737 design - thinking of running two PCs - one for FSX and a single visual display, the other dedicated to the avionics displays exclusively. I was thinking of building something from scratch to run the first, since FSX is such a bear. My question is with regard to the avionics displays (probably going to start with the cheap Aerosoft software just to start). Do I need a lot of performance from a PC if it's just running these? I would think that a standard graphics card would be fine, along with a newer, but not necessarily fast processor. Tell me if my assumptions here are wrong, but I would think that my old Dell with a new graphics card for dual monitors would be sufficient to run the PFD (output split to show the same thing on the CPT and FO monitors) and the EICAS on a third monitor. I just don't want to invest in building another higher performance PC if it's overkill.

Thanks!

75+ Posting Member BuildABoeing's Avatar

Re: Hardware for Displays

I am running ProSim and SIOC on one secondary computer, and it has two monitors that are my MIP-screens.
    It is a Pentium D (that is like a P4).
    It works okay. Not the fastest refresh rate when all ProSim programs are open. But good enough for me. I mean.. The Primary Flight Display does not need 50+ FPS.
    Best wishes, Peter
    Building a B737NG - Blog: BuildABoing

10+ Posting Member

Re: Hardware for Displays

Quote Originally Posted by BuildABoeing View Post
    I am running ProSim and SIOC on one secondary computer, and it has two monitors that are my MIP-screens.
    It is a Pentium D (that is like a P4).
    It works okay. Not the fastest refresh rate when all ProSim programs are open. But good enough for me. I mean.. The Primary Flight Display does not need 50+ FPS.
    Thanks - yeah I figured it was less resource needy than FSX and the outside displays.