Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Newish Newbie - So many questions...

Hi Guys:

I joined the forum here ages ago, but the home pit project never really got off the ground what with having to make a living and all getting in the way of things.

Anyway, i am re-exploring the possibilities again, and in doing so have been discussing things with the fabulous Peter Cos over at FDS. In my ideal world, i would just throw the money at him and tell him to send me a full 777, but i can't afford that, so i shall have to start small and work up.

Anyway, i apologise now as i am sure that you have all answered the questions a thousand times before, but a cursory scan and search through the forums didnt really tie up the questions i have into a neat bundle.

So, apologies for rambling on, but this is just stream of consciousness stuff here; Questions, in no particular order...

For reference i would like to build either a 747 or 777. Realistically, it'll probably be a 777.

1. Where the **** do i begin!

2. How does it all fit together? Lets say i buy all the hardware through FDS, where does the Flight Model come from?

3. I understand that Project Magenta and Sim Avionics are the people to talk to for the hardware interfacing, do they provide the Flight Model and Flight Dynamics also? or does that information come through an add on like say, PMDG or PSS etc...

4. Networked systems. Whats your average network layout? What talks to what?

5. Where do the sounds come from?

6. Visuals? Is that just a case of your PM / SA software creating a point in FS9/X that then essentially just slews about to ensure that you have the right visual picture?

7. Weather, again - am i relying on the instructor station to create that (PM or AS) or am i looking at something like Active Sky to create the WX?

8. Addition of 3DOF or even 6DOF - What does an 'average' 777 sim weigh? Is a motion platform something that is easy to add (and i use easy in its widest possible interpretation) at a later stage?

9. Realistic Throttle and Fuel Flow behaviour. Kind of a flight dynamics question again, but if i were to want to motorise things like Throttles, is that something that can be done with current technology at a reasonable cost (again, i use reasonable in its widest possible interpretation)

10. Seats - I dont want to have to buy real 777 seats, but i do have a company i work with a lot that could probably make some decent replicas. How could i start going about getting information together on that?

11. Should i buy shares in a manufacturer of pain killers now or do i start building the pit and slowly watch the rates climb, buy in, and then sell the shares as the pit nears completion?

Sorry for the stream of consciousness ramble. They are just a few of the questions i have at this stage. I appreciate any assistance in advance that any of you may be able to offer me.

Cheers

Paul

300+ Forum Addict autocadplease's Avatar

Re: Newish Newbie - So many questions...

1. Where the **** do i begin!
    A lot of people start with the main instrument panel (MIP)

2. How does it all fit together? Lets say i buy all the hardware through FDS, where does the Flight Model come from?
    Most people use a payware or freeware add-on which has better flight modelling that the default FS aircraft.

3. I understand that Project Magenta and Sim Avionics are the people to talk to for the hardware interfacing, do they provide the Flight Model and Flight Dynamics also? or does that information come through an add on like say, PMDG or PSS etc...
    I am not aware of them providing actual flight models/dynamics, that is more of a function of the FS add-on aircraft. They do have some config files to tweak some aircraft.

4. Networked systems. Whats your average network layout? What talks to what?
    Computers networked together using 10/100 ethernet connections just using Windows. Most software needs FSUIPC/WideFS to communicate with FS. Usually the server is the FS computer.

5. Where do the sounds come from?
    Usually FS, but some software like PM and SA have separate sound programs that can run remotely

6. Visuals? Is that just a case of your PM / SA software creating a point in FS9/X that then essentially just slews about to ensure that you have the right visual picture?
    FS provides the outside views.

7. Weather, again - am i relying on the instructor station to create that (PM or AS) or am i looking at something like Active Sky to create the WX?
    FS creates weather and can download real time weather (although nowhere as good as Active Sky). PM weather can download realtime satellite echoes and display them on the ND, but does not create weather. I use Active Sky and PMWeather together.

8. Addition of 3DOF or even 6DOF - What does an 'average' 777 sim weigh? Is a motion platform something that is easy to add (and i use easy in its widest possible interpretation) at a later stage?
    Do a search on motion platforms, unless you have a lot of money, it is a big undertaking.

9. Realistic Throttle and Fuel Flow behaviour. Kind of a flight dynamics question again, but if i were to want to motorise things like Throttles, is that something that can be done with current technology at a reasonable cost (again, i use reasonable in its widest possible interpretation)
    Yes, the realism is very high today. Servos have made things like autothrottles affordable.

10. Seats - I dont want to have to buy real 777 seats, but i do have a company i work with a lot that could probably make some decent replicas. How could i start going about getting information together on that?
    Check out the galley for some ideas on seats. They can be built.

Some comments:
    PM & SA are really not hardware interface programs. They are software programs that provide instrument displays, flight management systems and autopilots - you can use them without any additional hardware. Think of them as a very fancy FS panel.
    Hardware interface programs are like FSUIPC, FDS InterfaceIT, SIOC, etc. which communicate between the hardware (via an I/O card) and the software. But FS still drives / provides data to everything so it all works.
    Grant D.
    Nelson,B.C. Canada
    Win7 32bit, FSX, PM Boeing, TH2GO, GEX, VoxATC

3. Thanks darrenw, Paul Smith thanked for this post

Grant:

Many thanks for your kind and prompt response. I am really looking forward to getting stuck into this project. But finding a resource like this site is going to become a huge help.

I like your username too. I'm a big AutoCAD user in my working life

Cheers

Paul

300+ Forum Addict autocadplease's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Smith View Post
    I like your username too. I'm a big AutoCAD user in my working life
    Cool
    I work in the mechanical construction industry (since my flying career didn't pan out) as a mechanical quantity surveyor. I use autocad at least an hour a day.

I would suggest looking at the photo gallery to get a sense of what can be done (pictures are better than words!). And then we are all here to answer your questions.
    Grant D.
    Nelson,B.C. Canada
    Win7 32bit, FSX, PM Boeing, TH2GO, GEX, VoxATC