Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Intro and question

Hi all, I've been a forum lurker for a little while now and thought I had better say hello.

My names James and I live in Oxfordshire UK. Building a 737ng home cockpit is something I really want to do.But, having my own heating and plumbing business plus a young family spare time is virtually nill at the mo. So, I guess I'm just in the pipe-dream faze and am just looking whats out there. Hopefully, I'll be able to start building within the year.

Also, has anyone experienced this in the UK [URL="http://www.i-pilot.info/?gclid=CMztnY29mZ8CFSU_lAodUzEfLQ"] My wife has bought me a 60 minute session!

Best regards James

500+ This must be a daytime job Sean Nixon's Avatar

Re: Intro and question

Hi James, welcome.

I'm a sparky, got my own business too. Trust me, you just need to make the time otherwise it'll never happen. I'd been 'lurking' around in the background researching for years, but finally took the plunge just before xmas. Got a bit carried away and bought far too much gear, but at least I've got enough kit to keep me busy until the credit card is back in the black!

I heard about iPilot for the first time just before xmas too, I think someone posted a link on here. You'll have to let us know how it goes, do a little 'trip report' type thing for us. And don't forget your camera. I don't know of anyone that's been there yet.

Regards

Sean

Hi Sean, I'll certainly take the camera along and write a small review. It's about time I gave something back!

I've just realised my join date was Oct 2008. I can't believe I haven't posted in that time!

How far have you got with your build?

Best regards James

Executive Assistant Geremy Britton's Avatar

Hi James, nice to have you wish us. Always been expensive to fly the real thing i always though. And i had that constant dilemma of spending a few hundred pounds to sit in a good sim for the day or spend the few hundreds pounds on making my own sim look that way. So i personally have never been in the full motion sim, but i've got all the inspiration i need for visiting other peoples simulators which is always great.

See my signature, check the link it might help you out
    Geremy Britton
    Executive Assistant, MyCockpit Inc
    Head of GLB Flight Products
    www.geremy.co.uk

500+ This must be a daytime job Sean Nixon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jiminblack View Post
    How far have you got with your build?
    Hi James

I'd been doing the research, wondering how much it would all cost, wondering, like everyone, where to start for several years. Back then I never really had the space, but have moved house twice in that time. I now have a large double garage (fundemental in the house purchase!) into which I can house the sim.

In November 2009 I saw a CPFlight MCP/EFIS and some radios, etc. for sale in the UK. As I had pretty much made my mind up that I would like to take the Engravity/CPFlight route, this sealed the decision and I bought them.

Since then I have aquired the Engravity Captains and Centre desktop panels, landing gear lever, MIP737 interface unit and second EFIS unit.

I also have a CH yoke, Saitek rubber pedals and a home made throttle quadrant.

On the PC front, I was so taken aback when I saw some members on here's curved screen and near 180 degree visuals, I purchased 3 projectors and a Matrox TH2G. I built a 30ft curved screen last weekend, consisting of 3 lengths of 20mm plastic conduit for the support rail and 3 Asda (Walmart) King size sheets. Using Sol7 correction software, I can say the results are outstanding and would highly recommend the multi-projector route if you have the space.

So now I have purchased enough kit to keep me busy building for a little while.

Sean