Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

A question about the 747 MCP

I would like to attempt at building the 747 MCP. I was wondering if there is an indeph guide or some type of video tutorial that goes through the process of creation, wiring, and interfacing with FS2004. The only experience I have with wiring is doing car audio installations.

I've been looking at various images at different forums of people making their own MCP and wiring them. The thing that gets me is the wiring because from some of the images I've seen, there's alot of wiring involved. More than what I'm used to anyways lol.

Anyways, any suggestions would be helpful.

Cheers,

Lee

Hi Lee,

fully understand your wish to build a MCP. This is by far one of the more complicated things in Cockpit building. Not only the wiring but also the machanical part as in the end it should not only work as a MCP but also the look and feel is of importance.
    Why don´t you start with some switches etc. in order to get the clue behing interfacing Hardware with FS.
    For the MCP I would rather recommend to buy one from the various manufactureres in flightsimmulation.
    Depending what you are willing to do by yourself have a look to: www.fsbus.de (this is a fairly simple fully selfmade interface program (hw and sw)) or look at opecockpits etc. where you can buy interface modules.
    Believe me, besides bought modules there is a lot more you can put your hands on to build your own cockpit.

Hope this helps a bit

Best rgds

Peter

Executive Vice President, MyCockpit

Mycockpit.org Peter H... Good advise

There are lot's of options, but like Peter H. said it really depends on the look and feel you are comfortable with.

Example the Go-Flight MCP-Pro (which I have, just to play with, not in my cockpit) is an excellent piece of equipment and close to the actual MCP, but not exact. BTW, I use FDS panels for my A340 Cockpit.

There lots of options... and you'll find lot's of help here Glad to have you aboard

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Trevor Hale's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MattO View Post
    Go-Flight MCP-Pro (which I have, just to play with, not in my cockpit)
    Hey Matt, What does a Bus Driver have a 737 MCP for...?

LOL

LMAO

Wanted see what the other side was like While my bus is in the garage

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Trevor Hale's Avatar

Well, when your finished oogling over the other side, I have a home for that MCP, and at least you would be able to get your coin back... You retiree's need as much of that as you can get

Lol

Hi Lee,

fully understand your wish to build a MCP. This is by far one of the more complicated things in Cockpit building. Not only the wiring but also the machanical part as in the end it should not only work as a MCP but also the look and feel is of importance.
    Why don´t you start with some switches etc. in order to get the clue behing interfacing Hardware with FS.
    For the MCP I would rather recommend to buy one from the various manufactureres in flightsimmulation.
    Depending what you are willing to do by yourself have a look to: www.fsbus.de (this is a fairly simple fully selfmade interface program (hw and sw)) or look at opecockpits etc. where you can buy interface modules.
    Believe me, besides bought modules there is a lot more you can put your hands on to build your own cockpit.

Hope this helps a bit

Best rgds

Peter

Ya know, thats probably the best idea right now. Just go out and buy one. The more and more I look at WIP pics of other people building their MCP's the more I get intimidated by the wiring aspects. Why couldn't the wiring be as simple as wiring an aftermarket headunit?? lol. The GoFlight MCP looks pretty good and its reasonably priced. I was also looking at the PMDG version of the CDU. WOW, thats a little pricey. Maybe that one will be simpler to wire.

Example the Go-Flight MCP-Pro (which I have, just to play with, not in my cockpit) is an excellent piece of equipment and close to the actual MCP, but not exact. BTW, I use FDS panels for my A340 Cockpit.

WOW! Your A340 project looks awesome!! Just curious, how much money have you invested into this project so far?

Hey Matt, What does a Bus Driver have a 737 MCP for...?

LOL

You guys crack me up lol. Thanks for the warm welcome guys

Quote Originally Posted by visualchaosfx View Post
    Hi Lee,

WOW! Your A340 project looks awesome!! Just curious, how much money have you invested into this project so far?

You guys crack me up lol. Thanks for the warm welcome guys
    Yeah Lee, we crack each other up.... some sanity to our madness

Thanks for the compliment Regarding how much.... Hate to say... it varies so much depending who's doing it and how and where they get the parts from. So I hate to give out the $$$$$. All I can say to that is, I've seen projects from a few thousand and the latest B777 builder is expecting to go as high as $500K. It all depends on what you're comfortable with.

Quote Originally Posted by MattO View Post
    Yeah Lee, we crack each other up.... some sanity to our madness

Thanks for the compliment Regarding how much.... Hate to say... it varies so much depending who's doing it and how and where they get the parts from. So I hate to give out the $$$$$. All I can say to that is, I've seen projects from a few thousand and the latest B777 builder is expecting to go as high as $500K. It all depends on what you're comfortable with.
    I figured it would be around $5K. Honestly thats a resonable price. I can't remember what site it was but they had a prebuilt Cessana cockpit.... well not the whole cockpit. Just the Panels rudder pedals, yoke and stuff and it was going for $14,000.

I figure for right now, because of the limited room I have and budget, I could just start off with the GoFlight MCP and set up a desktop cock pit. I already have 2 17" monitors and TrackIR. I'm flying the PMDG 747 and the virtual cockpit looks awesome spanned across 2 monitors. I was gonna break down and get the $1200 CDU but decided not to.

What I could start out doing, and to keep me motivated, is start creating the panel thats below the MCP. I got the hook up for LCD screens because my friend has a car audio business so I can get them from him sometime this decade lol. Although, for the panel, I would like to have it look like a 747 panel, but try and do a little customization to it. Give it a more smooth futureistic look. I have some experience in fiberglass speaker box building. It would be something different ya know because I don't think anyone else has done that. The only thing is that the overall size of the panel maybe a little bigger than the real 747 panel.

For the base material of the panel, I was thinking of using 1/4" MDF. Wow I got a lot of ideas floating around in my head lol.

Do you know where I can get panel blueprints that I can use for reference?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast