Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

DIY Projection Kits

Hello All -

Has anyone build their own DIY LCD projector? There is a lot of info on the internet and several stores like http://diyprojectorkits.com and http://www.lumenlab.com that offer the supplies. Based on old LCD monitors and Fresnel lenses it looks very doable and inexpensive (very import to simmers on a budget!).

Since it is so inexpensive - what about building 3 projectors and using a TH2GO. Thoughts?

Thanks in Advance,
    Daniel

Hey All-
    I thought I would forge ahead and see if it is truly feasible to build a projection LCD to use with the Flight Sim. (my wife thinks I am nuts!) Just wanted to share a small success that proves this is viable option.

I disassembled a 15" Benq FP547 LCD monitor (free from work - burned out back panel), removed the back panel lighting unit and put the LCD monitor glass on an overhead projector (purchased from Craigslist for $30). I hooked up my laptop to the RGB connector and Volia! Projection screen LCD monitor. I think I will need to do some lighting enhancements and build a custom enclosure - but for less than $50 it will be worth it.

Got any pictures? I haven't gone to the links you posted, but have tried this before and was not sucessfull. The LCD didn't function after disassembly. But, it is supposed to be an inexpensive alternative. I think 3 together would be OK, but use the same brand of LCD.

But good info none-the-less.
    Rodney -
    Real 727-200 pit
    Last Flown as N392PA
    FS9

300+ Forum Addict

Daniel it's certainly doable. The real questions have to do with performance expectations and what sorts of projects are appealing to you. You can get workable results on a tight budget. IMHO, it's unlikely to challenge the performance of commerical units. Of course, that's no reason not to do it. Especially if you can get the parts really cheaply. If you enjoy the project, go for it.

Tom's Hardware has an article on a DIY LCD projector. Making a cursory search I found this video (but not the original article) about it: http://www.tomshardware.com/diy-proj...video-271.html

You might find some of the surplus projection lenses from Altronics helpful: http://www.alltronics.com/cgi-bin/category/146

Oh, and please post some pictures.

5. Thanks ddimm thanked for this post

Check out this link.
    http://www.baseportal.com/cgi-bin/ba.../Lumenlab/main
    It has the LCD models that can easily be converted with no flat cable issues interfering with the display.

The Benq FP547 was easy to take apart - you just need to be careful of the tabs on the sides on the LCD panel.

I have most of my supplies (lights, fresnels, lcd, triplet lens) and will start building this weekend - pix to follow.
    Thanks!

500+ This must be a daytime job BHawthorne's Avatar

I've followed the projector building sites for a few years now. The problem I see is that the builds are rather large and tend to be based on 15" LCDs. I'm also not sure on the lumens these DIYs put out. All said and done I'd prefer just getting a projector on eBay for $300-500. Afterall, you can replace the projector bulbs on commercial projectors on the cheap now too from the same sources they get the DIY bulbs.

The only plausible reason why I would do a DIY projector would be to achieve 1920x1200 in a cost effective manner. And/or implement a fisheye lens into a custom projector. Neither of these 2 things can be done affordably via commercial solutions.

Hrrrm, 1920x1200 fish-eye projector.....yummy.

I have to admit i have bookmarked this thread because this is one avenue i will be deffinitly exploring, i have seen with my own eyes what the potential is with going this method and have been exploring in detail on how to do this, however it is a long way off for me so i am forced to put this on the backburner for now.

But I will give this a try for sure before commiting a whole heap of money on 3 new projectors.

500+ This must be a daytime job BHawthorne's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phil744 View Post
    I have to admit i have bookmarked this thread because this is one avenue i will be deffinitly exploring, i have seen with my own eyes what the potential is with going this method and have been exploring in detail on how to do this, however it is a long way off for me so i am forced to put this on the backburner for now.

But I will give this a try for sure before commiting a whole heap of money on 3 new projectors.
    Heck, I already have 5 projectors in various resolutions. It even interests me, not for the fact you can DIY, but for the fact you can DIY to your exact requirements. Commercial stuff is great, but it's very generic in design. Take for example what I mentioned before, 1920x1200 fisheye projection. If I had to guess, you've have to pay at least $15,000 for something like that. In DIY, you'd pay $400 for the smallest 1920x1200 LCD you could find and $100-200 for some fisheye lens and go from there. My guess is there'd be a ton of trial an error, but certainly no $15,000 in trial and error.

Quote Originally Posted by BHawthorne View Post
    I've followed the projector building sites for a few years now. The problem I see is that the builds are rather large and tend to be based on 15" LCDs. I'm also not sure on the lumens these DIYs put out. All said and done I'd prefer just getting a projector on eBay for $300-500. Afterall, you can replace the projector bulbs on commercial projectors on the cheap now too from the same sources they get the DIY bulbs.

The only plausible reason why I would do a DIY projector would be to achieve 1920x1200 in a cost effective manner. And/or implement a fisheye lens into a custom projector. Neither of these 2 things can be done affordably via commercial solutions.

Hrrrm, 1920x1200 fish-eye projector.....yummy.
    Same as, I bought my LCD projectors from Ebay, I imported them Tax free from china via EMS, and only payed about 320 (per piece) EUROS for them to my door. Their small neat, and brilliant picture. And the replacement bulbs just cost me about 20 euros from the net, and Im sure If I were to look hard, I could find the same MH bulbs here in town cheaper. They support many resolutions and have a very crisp, bright, clear picture. Best buy for my needs. Heck, I even bought 8" touch screens from ebay too for the CDU's, very cheap compact and fit perfect into any housing you make, again, imported from china for 160 EUR per piece. Saves alot of money compared to the hardware units and time.

Thank god I didnt fork out 1500 euros for one projector. And then pay about 400 euros after 2000-4000 hrs for a new lamp.

Here are some pix of the "proto-type" of the DIY projector using the overhead projector and the LCD monitor. It works great when there is little surrounding light(I think because there are not enough Lumes put out by the projector). Currently it's about 2800 Lumes - I am going to try to replace the bulb for 4000 Lumes and hope for better lighting results.
    Attached Images Attached Images