Thread: Throttle feel

150+ Forum Groupie Atomic_Sheep's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Throttle feel

Hi,

I'm just wondering about how to make throttles for a non auto throttle aircraft which have a nice smooth feel and whereby the throttles don't flop about i.e. don't move around due to vibrations from their positions. Simply having a lever on an axle isn't really going to cut it but I doubt real throttles have hydraulic actuators specifically for the feel aspect. I would imagine that it would be a relatively simple mechanical system but I can't fathom how to make it.

Re: Throttle feel

This might not be what your looking for but I made some low friction spacers for my collective with a hole saw on a hand drill and a kitchen cutting board. The cutting board is really durable and when compressed by bolts and washers on a threaded rod you can adjust the tension with good accuracy. My wife is still wondering where her cutting board went!!

Shawn

Intersting though I don't quite understand how you made it. Do you have a pic you want to share?
    Arjen
    -----
    "There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch." (Nigel Powers in Goldmember)

500+ This must be a daytime job 737NUT's Avatar

Very simple, polyclutch.com I have used several of these and they work great!

Rob

150+ Forum Groupie

Hi folks I used the same method, all levers sit on a commomn threaded bar with nuts and washers between to give correct spacing. The washers can be brass or nylon or ptfe, and by using locking nuts they can be clamped against the levers to give friction. I think you can see this in the attached photo of my 767 throttle. regards
    geoff
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Goldmember View Post
    Intersting though I don't quite understand how you made it. Do you have a pic you want to share?
    There are three spacers on the pivot for my collective. If you have a drill press you can put the spacer on a bolt and use a file to turn down the size of the disk. I can adjust the friction by simply tightening the bolt.

Shawn

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    There are three spacers on the pivot for my collective. If you have a drill press you can put the spacer on a bolt and use a file to turn down the size of the disk. I can adjust the friction by simply tightening the bolt.
    Shawn
    Cool! Thanks.
    Arjen
    -----
    "There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch." (Nigel Powers in Goldmember)

There are three spacers on the pivot for my collective. If you have a drill press you can put the spacer on a bolt and use a file to turn down the size of the disk. The washers can be brass or nylon or ptfe, and by using locking nuts they can be clamped against the levers to give friction. I think you can see this in the attached photo of my 767 throttle.

Just a thought, what would be the result if you convert a Saitek or other general cheap throttle? It has all the electronics and it's small enough to fit in a 737 TQ (-ish thingie). Just cut off the original levers and make new ones that stick out of the home made TQ replica... You could even make the lever moving by adding servos and springs or rubber bands. If the autothrottle is off, the servos move along with your manual movements; if A/T is on, the servos move the levers. The servo don't mind why they move because their position comes via FSUIPC, either via the levers or via the A/T. If you have strong servos, you could program friction to make it feel heavier. This is something I'd like to try but I'd like to hear anybodies thoughts or experience.
    Arjen
    -----

150+ Forum Groupie

Can the moderator check ddpatientaction this post looks very suspicious it's an amalgam of 2 previous posts
    regards
    geoff jones

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast