10+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Making a curved screen for Nthusim

Can I just bend some sort of heavy duty paper that will hold a curve and then run Nthusim? I am currently just projecting onto the wall.

300+ Forum Addict

Re: Making a curved screen for Nthusim

You can basically use whatever material you want, but you have to think about the way the projectors will reflect the light back to your eyes. Some material will absorb and some reflect too much. Therefore, once you figure that out, you can build you curve; although, whatever you use you must think about expansion/contraction due to heat and cold. Also, will the material be all one piece or multiple pieces to form the curve?

If you're using multiple pieces, you have to think about the seams and where this pieces come together, they must be smooth otherwise you will see every seam, as well as any screws, indents, defects in the material and even poorly prepared painted surfaces (if painted).

I have used plastic sheeting, painted MDF (fiber board), and in the end finished with a custom 39ft x 9ft projector screen. Yes, it is a big screen! Funny thing is I only paid $400 US for it this past year. The company is in Wisconsin, USA and makes really good screens for very low cost; however, for some strange reason no one else has ordered from them even though I have posted a lot about them.

For another strange reason people tend to build their curved screens, where as you can just build a simple frame and attach a screen to it. When you add up the materials, the paint, and the time; getting a projector screen is cheaper and especially, if you make mistakes with building your own curved screen...it will be that much cheaper.

Finally are you using one projector or three. Your picture is really small and I cannot tell. If you have the room build for three now. Otherwise, you will be tearing down your first screen for a bigger one later...

Here is the info for the projection screen maker. If you call him and explain what you want, he will make it for you within about 3 days.

http://stores.ebay.com/Carls-Place-Projector-Screens

Take a look at this:

http://stores.ebay.com/Carls-Place-P...=p4634.c0.m322

Now, just imagine using PVC tubing and curving it for the frame (like shown, but it's flat in the photo)? You would have an awesome screen for less cost and less time (the major thing is time isn't it?).

Good Luck,

BSD

3. Thanks Sean Nixon thanked for this post
    500+ This must be a daytime job Sean Nixon's Avatar

My first screen was made of king size bed sheets and plastic tube. I made it real quick, just to see if curved screens could really be made to look as good as the pictures I'd seen here. It was crude, but did the trick...

http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/show...tup?highlight=

10+ Posting Member

Ok so I went to home depot and found some 4x8 white board...it looks like it will do the trick.

I also checked out a place that specializes in industrial plastics. They had "hips" or high impact polystyrene I believe. It is super light but plenty stiff enough to hold a curve with no support. They come in sheets of 4x8 or 5x10. I think the back side is dull if the glossy side is too glossy.

So what do you guys think?

Is this the stuff in the same area as the pegboard? dull brown on one side and gloss white on the other? If so, that is what i use and it works fine. The key is to paint the dull side with screen paint and use that side. The shiny side is too bright, and paint does not adhere to it.

10+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by fsaviator View Post
    Is this the stuff in the same area as the pegboard? dull brown on one side and gloss white on the other? If so, that is what i use and it works fine. The key is to paint the dull side with screen paint and use that side. The shiny side is too bright, and paint does not adhere to it.
    Yes it is basically pegboard. I went back to the industrial plastics to double check the "High Impact Polystyrene" and it turns it was not glossy as it appears on the previous photo. So, I purchased a 4x8 roll of the thinnest they had...about the thickness of a penny so it was real easy to work with...had it up in about 10 minutes with only some scotch tape.

Here are some pics of the end result...I have not configured with Nthusim.

BEFORE

AFTER

Nice. I like the fact it rolls up... I may look into it as my rebuild progresses. I have to build modular now as I'll be packing everything up for a move to Germany in couple of months. I'm trying to maximize buying the hard to get stuff (and more expensive stuff) here before I get overseas.

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim

Quote Originally Posted by fsaviator View Post
    Nice. I like the fact it rolls up... I may look into it as my rebuild progresses. I have to build modular now as I'll be packing everything up for a move to Germany in couple of months. I'm trying to maximize buying the hard to get stuff (and more expensive stuff) here before I get overseas.

Thank you for the ideas, y'alls setups look great.

Warren did you end up building a modular screen?

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by OmniAtlas View Post
    Thank you for the ideas, y'alls setups look great.

Warren did you end up building a modular screen?

Cheers.
    No, I ended up taking the same material over with me and reusing it. I had to cut it into 7ft sections to fit in shipping crate so there are two joins in it you can see. Not a big deal as you don't notice it.