Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    150+ Forum Groupie
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

To SOUTH AFRICAN builders - plzzzzzz

Hi guys (and gals)

I live in South Africa (Midrand) and i am interested to know who has built part or all of a cockpit.

1. What interfaces did you use?
    2. did you import or source locally?
    3. if locally where?

Thanks a ton in advance.

Executive Assistant Geremy Britton's Avatar

I'm taking a guess, but if someones on here they are building a cockpit i would say .. right?
    Geremy Britton
    Executive Assistant, MyCockpit Inc
    Head of GLB Flight Products
    www.geremy.co.uk

150+ Forum Groupie

Quote Originally Posted by 737 Gez View Post
    I'm taking a guess, but if someones on here they are building a cockpit i would say .. right?
    I would say that is a pretty good assumption. But it is just that - an assumption - as i was directing the question to south africans as i know a lot of guys that sim but haven't built cockpits etc due to costs and R/$ exchange.

Heli Builder

Quote Originally Posted by shearder View Post
    I would say that is a pretty good assumption. But it is just that - an assumption - as i was directing the question to south africans as i know a lot of guys that sim but haven't built cockpits etc due to costs and R/$ exchange.
    Hi,

the cost is a bummer with the exchange rate at the moment. That's why I am starting small with a PC9. I am building my own interface cards with a PIC microcontroller so buy mostly from RS Components. They are in Kyalami Business Park there in Midrand.

I find the BU0836 range of joystick controller good value for money.

Depending on what you are planning on building, most stuff will have to be purchased from international sources. If you do build a sim like a B737 keep in mind you will pay a lot on shipping charges. And the Rand is about 60% undervalued at the moment (Based on prices of a Big Mac worldwide) you will pay a lot more for your sim than what others are paying.
    Fritz -> Helicopter Cockpit Builder
    (FSX | TH2Go | Arduino | Air Manager Avionics | CNC)

150+ Forum Groupie

Quote Originally Posted by fweinrebe View Post
    Hi,

the cost is a bummer with the exchange rate at the moment. That's why I am starting small with a PC9. I am building my own interface cards with a PIC microcontroller so buy mostly from RS Components. They are in Kyalami Business Park there in Midrand.

I find the BU0836 range of joystick controller good value for money.

Depending on what you are planning on building, most stuff will have to be purchased from international sources. If you do build a sim like a B737 keep in mind you will pay a lot on shipping charges. And the Rand is about 60% undervalued at the moment (Based on prices of a Big Mac worldwide) you will pay a lot more for your sim than what others are paying.
    Hi Fritz

Thanks for your feedback dude. Yeah we are stuffed as far as costs are concerned so when someone says "YEAH but it's ONLY $150" hmmmmmm... I see you have made your own PC boards etc for your radios - if i am correct. Are you using any 3rd party interface? Do you have the diagrams for MCP for example for heading, course etc LED readouts? I am not staying true to form in so far as a "realistic" cockpit is concerned - i just don't have the money - but i want some sort of realism purely by not relying on the mouse all the time and while flying to sometimes pause to do stuff and then continue... know what i mean.

IF i knew what i was doing i would probably invest in a PIC programmer too but I don't lol. Do you have your own CNC machine?

HI there!

Hi there Shearder

I live in Bloemfontein and is going cockpit crazy! Welcome to MC!
    I still cant chose wich cockpit to build, but have purchaces a couple of stuff(All overseas)!
    1- MCP (Opencockpits)
    2- Efis (Opencockpits)
    3- Multi-radio (Opencockpits)
    4- CH Yoke
    5- CH Throttle Quadrant
    6- Seitek Rudder pedals

I would strongly suggest that you buy a ready-made MCP. The OC MCP are brilliant, once you get the sioc going for your favourate add-on. The "system Logic" behind the unit is very important!

Mine is set to the PMDG 738, and everything that happens on the PMDG's MCP happens on the OC MCP. I don't know how good your programming skills are, but mine is worse than the crime in central JHB!! I would never be able to programme such a unit, thats why I say get a ready-made one!

Enjoy your journey into cockpit building!!

Conri du Toit
    Conri du Toit
    CEO
    South African Airways Virtual
    www.saavirtual.org

Heli Builder

Quote Originally Posted by shearder View Post
    I see you have made your own PC boards etc for your radios - if i am correct. Are you using any 3rd party interface? Do you have the diagrams for MCP for example for heading, course etc LED readouts? ...

Do you have your own CNC machine?
    Sorry no diagrams at the moment. I am working on the radio still. My stuff will mostly just work for the Pilatus. I build my own stuff because I love the building part. Sometimes my own stuff might be more expensive than maybe something that can be purchased ready made. But in the case of the radio I know I can build it for at lease 25% of what I've seen for sale on one website.

I am planning to build a CNC, but can't get hold of Steppers and Controllers that fits the price and delivery to Namibia.

Conri actually gave good advice about what to buy if your building a jet sim. You will need to decide on what you want to build and then spend lots of time on research (here on MC.org). Ask questions, there are a lot of helpful folks here. Best is to make sure 100% what you need before buying. Use the Search function. Lots of your questions might have been answered already.

Have you looked at Pete Dowson's FSPUIC already? Also look at the TripleHeadToGo from Matrox for your visuals. Axiz sells it in SA.
    Fritz -> Helicopter Cockpit Builder
    (FSX | TH2Go | Arduino | Air Manager Avionics | CNC)

Hi,

Building a Cessna 172 and Robinson 22 using FSBUS and Opencockpits. Building own gauges and display system.

Buying electronic components from Mantech and Communica. Hardware from various sources, including Maizey, Non-Ferrous Metal Works and Model Mania.

Johan van Wyk

150+ Forum Groupie

Quote Originally Posted by Conri View Post
    Hi there Shearder

I live in Bloemfontein and is going cockpit crazy! Welcome to MC!
    I still cant chose wich cockpit to build, but have purchaces a couple of stuff(All overseas)!
    Hi Conri

Yes, trust me, if i wasn't retrenched I would go all out. I have been off since January - tough lol i know...

Anyways, I really like the MCP on opencockpits. In fact, if i had the money i would buy TOOO much.

However, the answer you gave confirms what others are saying - import - nothing really locally.

150+ Forum Groupie

Quote Originally Posted by fweinrebe View Post
    I am planning to build a CNC, but can't get hold of Steppers and Controllers that fits the price and delivery to Namibia.
    Now that sounds like an idea for when i start working again!!

Conri actually gave good advice about what to buy if your building a jet sim. You will need to decide on what you want to build and then spend lots of time on research (here on MC.org). Ask questions, there are a lot of helpful folks here. Best is to make sure 100% what you need before buying. Use the Search function. Lots of your questions might have been answered already.
    Yes Conri gave some good advice too. I have followed some advice and also some research i have done. So, what i did yesterday is go out and buy a whole lot of switches LEDs, MOM buttons and wire, PC board and I will start making a NON-realistic MCP with just the buttons etc - no readouts. I am going to use an old redundant computer case, lay it on its side and have the top facing me with all the switches on. I will also be using the powersupply in it to deliver the 12v.

Have you looked at Pete Dowson's FSPUIC already? Also look at the TripleHeadToGo from Matrox for your visuals. Axiz sells it in SA.
    Oh i have!! GREAT stuff. As soon as i start making money again i will buy FSUIPC software. As far as the triple head to go is concerned, i only really have 1 monitor. Maybe a 2nd if i drag this 14" alongside my 19" LCD. AXIS is 5 mins away from me. Also in Midrand.

Thanks again guys!! EVERYONE has been great.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast