10+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

How difficult is it really?

Hello all: As a complete newbie into the realm of cockpit building, please be patient with me. I'm trying to make a decision whether to assemble/build some of my own panels vs. just buying the ready-to-go modules such as GoFlight.

Here's what I'm considering from Opencockpits:
    http://www.opencockpits.com/catalog/...cPath=23_25_41

I'm looking for some advice on how difficult it is to start out by trying a Boeing 737ng style comm panel...for someone who doesn't want to do any soldering or delve deeply into electrical circuit building, if I purchase the required parts, is it going to be fairly straight forward on how to assemble everything so it works with my PC & FSX??

Or is it probably going to be an exercise in frustration, running back to the computer to keep purchasing online parts I didn't know I needed, referencing electrical engineering websites, etc??

I'm exaggerating a little bit, but I hope you can understand my point. I'd like to feel the satisfaction of building my own stuff (and hopefully it's somewhat cheaper too!) yet if it's a major learning curve I have to go through, I might just sacrifice by paying more and having a pre-built plug&play module that I can start enjoying immediately (http://www.goflightinc.com/store/gf1...dule-p-40.html).

Thanks for your input...I really look forward to hearing from the bright minds in this community.

~Alan

150+ Forum Groupie verticallimit's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: How difficult is it really?

Quote Originally Posted by GlobalGentleman View Post
    Or is it probably going to be an exercise in frustration, running back to the computer to keep purchasing online parts I didn't know I needed, referencing electrical engineering websites, etc??

Thanks for your input...I really look forward to hearing from the bright minds in this community.

~Alan
    Hi Alan

Let us just assume that your quote matches.
    Making cockpit will provide challenges, just look at all the questions here at Mycockpit.org.

Everything is relative, some have difficulty to learn how to ride a bicycle, and some it comes very easy.
    But building a cockpit you can hardly avoid coming into contact with electrical, computer networking, programming, makanics, and a lot of time at the PC searching for solutions, but this is also a part of the charm by building your own cockpit.

Like me you can still keep the simulator running while you build, so you can fly a tour when the building gets too stressful.

This is not to scare you, it's more for you to expect new challenges, and personaly think is worth it.
    Sincerely,

Claus