Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    75+ Posting Member Mr. Midnight's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

fsx /vista/ xp pro

i have two copies of fsx all brand new in the box, bought one and won the other.

my last set up i had six coms networked toghether thru wide view, using fs9 and made several copies to run on my other coms.

do to a license with fsx i will have to go out and buy 1 more copy maybe two more copies , no problem. (gotta do what you gotta do)

im sold on wideview and seen what and how it works, its amazing how it looks.

anyway will fsx work just as good with xp pro or is fsx made for vista or will it work better with vista.

i like vista for my home com and laptop, but i dont really care about the looks on my sim.

my plan is to use tripleh2go for the front and wideview for the extreme side views.

thanks....Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Midnight View Post
    anyway will fsx work just as good with xp pro or is fsx made for vista or will it work better with vista.

my plan is to use tripleh2go for the front and wideview for the extreme side views.

thanks....Robert
    Robert, You will more than likely get many proponents of both OS's. The choice is really up to you. The thing with FSX is that it is CPU intensive so all three of your computers should be at the same or relatively close CPU/RAM/Video build. If you have a couple that you want to try the side views on, and they are not what I stated, who knows it may work for you. But remember WideView is using resources too to try and sync the views. You might touch base with Jon Boe over at the FDS forum. I think he is doing this with projectors+TH2Go+WideView. There are posts here on taming FSX, and some over at FDS too. Builders have spent considerable time in documenting the good and bad. But in the end, it's all about what suits you. Hang onto your seat, the opinions/views are coming your way.
    Rodney -
    Real 727-200 pit
    Last Flown as N392PA
    FS9

150+ Forum Groupie

I don't normally jump on this bandwagon but let me say that Vista is absolute tripe. In fact the whole Vista - FSX thing is one of the biggest f-ing scams of the century. No other company other than some appalling faceless geeky company could make such promises about what they can deliver, then completely fail to do so, and claim their 'shots from the game' are in fact artist impressions.

While I type I'm installing FSX for the n-th time. Unlike a mature garden, the longer I've had Vista the more unsettled things have become. It's a pointless platform for Flight Simulator, as I believe FSX runs much better on XP Pro, which of course everyone hated when it came out. Oh well
    VANCOUVER
    Jet fighter / single pilot sim, plus thinking of a 777 as a secondary sim.

Executive Vice President, MyCockpit

Hi Paul, I keep hearing the same story over and over again. Although I'm not completely sold on FSX, but...... I had a neighbor, a AAAAAAAAAA+ computer geek and an online gamer. Had the best, fastest computer with VISTA. Showed me some programs with fantastic scenery, taking loads of computer power. I gave him my copy of FSX and asked him to test it for me.

I asked him to turn on all the bells and whistles. I went over his house the next night, he had it installed, running all the bars all the way over, getting about 30 FPS and the most beautiful scenery I've seen on FS.

He said the major problem with people setting up Vista Machines, is incompatible hardware. So take it from there.

But I must tell you with my current FS computer (Windows XP), FSX doesn't fly worth a hoot. Even with low settings. When I use it with FS9, I get a steady 22 FPS.

Matt Olieman

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Midnight View Post
    i have two copies of fsx all brand new in the box, bought one and won the other.

my last set up i had six coms networked toghether thru wide view, using fs9 and made several copies to run on my other coms.

do to a license with fsx i will have to go out and buy 1 more copy maybe two more copies , no problem. (gotta do what you gotta do)

im sold on wideview and seen what and how it works, its amazing how it looks.

i like vista for my home com and laptop, but i dont really care about the looks on my sim.

thanks....Robert
    Hi Mr. Midnight,

FSX is something between XP and Vista. It run better in XP but also run well in Vista only in DX10 mode.

DX10 is complicated. FSX can run with a lot of problems mainly visuals. What a mean. If you have a scenery or aircraft that made with dx9 then you will not see it or you will see a white screen.

So, if you want 100% compatibility, you go with XP.
    With best regards,
    Achilles
    http://www.thefsps.com

Well,

Some tips for FSX.

FSX is a CPU requirement program and not a GPU. It is all about rendering and rendering is coming out of the cpu. The gpu just display to the screen all the images.

If you have a good CPU then you can fly FSX. If not, stay at fs9.

The only cpu that is running fsx as fs9 is the new qx9770 overclocked at 3,84Ghz.

The only motherboard that can run the qx9970 fully compitable at 3,84Ghz is Asus rampage extreme.

If you have those two compenents then you need a fast ram. DDR3 1600 Mhz and more.

The pre-last think is the hard drive. Velicraptor or solid state disc.

And the last that counts is the gpu. For one screen an gtx280 or ati4870x2 will be more than ok. For 3 screens you need tri-sli gtx280 or crossfire 2 x 4870x2.

Result. Unbeliavable frames.

And a link with a hardware similar to this but more older.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=zGEOhgLJfSg
    With best regards,
    Achilles

7. Thanks mlscotti, Matt Olieman thanked for this post

Excellent information. Regarding the video, exactly what I experienced at my neighbors computer.

Thanks for sharing

Matt Olieman

75+ Posting Member

Hi All,
    As many of you demonstrate here is that "the jury" is still out on XP versus VISTA!

Indeed there are well argued reasons and points well made from all sides!

What has to be remembered is that DX10 which supports next generation graphics is a complete rewrite of MICROSOFT graphics support and works only with VISTA.

DX10 is where the future is and "futureproofing" should be a consideration when making significant investment.

It is also worthwhile looking at Ken Salters ALACRITY PC to help with framerate performance improvement on both XP and VISTA!

Hope that this helps!

Bill.

Achilles, what do you think the kind of performance I'll get with the above hardware and and using a Q6700 it's a 2.66Ghz and I don't know how much I can overclock it.

Matt Olieman

Quote Originally Posted by Prof Bill View Post
    Hi All,
    What has to be remembered is that DX10 which supports next generation graphics is a complete rewrite of MICROSOFT graphics support and works only with VISTA.
    Bill.
    Hi Bill,

You know, this is not very accurate. Microsoft ONLY says that DX10 is only with VISTA. I tell NO!!!!!!

Take a closer look. DX10 is avaliable for WP at least as a project. So, it is matter of time to have DX10 at Xp officially.

http://www.technospot.net/blogs/down...-alky-project/
    With best regards,
    Achilles

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast