Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    75+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: Progress of My 737-500

Quote Originally Posted by POTKC View Post
    What are the major differences between what you're doing and the later CL cockpits with the engine info on the two awkwardly-sized displays? Apart from the displays themselves, I mean. And how easy/hard would it be to adapt your computer drawings into the later variant?
    Hi,
    Well depends on the variant you are converting it to, the option list for the 737 runs quite long. Relatively speaking, it shouldn't be too difficult to modify the analog ADI and HSI openings to fit the EADI and the EHSI on the later variants. Regarding the autopilot module, that could stay the same. The engine panel would be a bit tricky to convert, yet do-able. Generally speaking, the panel sizes themselves are the same, some of which are even used in the NG's.

Thanks for your interest,
    Henri

10+ Posting Member

Thanks for the reply. What I meant was the exact same cockpit (737CL) except the later variant, with the engine information displayed digitally instead of on 'steam gauge' - style dials as you've got there. As far as I know that should be the only difference if doing a -500 panel. Do you know if there are any differences between the overhead panel of the -500 and that of the -300 and -400? I seem to remember the pressurization panel being slightly different, or is that not a thing?

EDIT: And yes, I would be very grateful if you could put your panel graphics in the file library. Are they already at 1:1 scale or do they require resizing to be printed as you have done?

EDIT 2: Following a bit more research, I have found that the pressurization panels on the -300 and -500 are the same, and it is the -400 that is different.

Actually, the engine gauge types and other cockpit differences are not specific to to whether it's a 300/400/500. It all depends on what the airline asked for. All of them initially had the typical CRT ADIs/HSIs and the LCD engine displays, but certain airlines opted for partial or full analogue to more easily move -200 series crews into the -300/400/500. So really, you can choose whatever layout appeals to you.

75+ Posting Member

Hello all,
    Sorry for getting back late,
    Yes, Avro748, you are correct in that Airlines had a wide variety of options, and really it's specific to each 737. In my case, I'm going for the Analog option, which airlines such as VivaAerobus did on some of their early classics. I believe SouthWest did the same up until the NG's.

Anyhow, regarding my drawings, I have implemented some changes, as the MCP was actually slightly off, here is a preview:

Now done on CAD software, I should be able to mill out accurate windows for the displays once I find somewhere I can do it as I don't currently have access to a CNC.

Once I have this all ready, I'll upload it to the file base here on MyCockpit for download
    Also been experimenting with some MCP Knobs to 3D print, funnily enough I have access to one of those!

Thanks for your interest,
    Henri
    Attached Images Attached Images

75+ Posting Member

Also, POTKC, not sure if this is what your after, but I also created a full size vector sketch of the Overhead panel. What type of 737 are you planning on? I have a couple resources for the Classic I have acquired.

Thanks,
    Henri
    Attached Images Attached Images

10+ Posting Member

Oh, so the analog instruments can be considered less 'native' to the CL than the CRT ADI/HSI? Also, would it be possible to implement said ADI/HSI on a single screen mounted behind the two cutouts in the MIP on each side? That would probably allow graphics to be displayed straight from the sim. I see you're going for the analog engine instruments - according to Airline2Sim's 'IXEG 737 first look' video, where a -300 F/O says so specifically, the analog ones are easier to read than the later LCD engine displays...how are you planning to implement your engine instruments? Screen behind the MIP, plug-and-play modules, converting gauges from a real aircraft, or is it too early to say?

75+ Posting Member

Yes, the analog displays were not an extremely popular option, yet they were still native to the classics (not retro-fitted). It would be possible to use screens to show the ADI and HSI, yet it would not have the 3d effect 'real' steam gauges give as such (in my opinion). If you are planning on the EADI and EHSI, then yes, monitors would work quite effectively. Regarding engine displays, if I am able to find a set for a cheap price, I'll go with that and interface that, yet as of now I'm focusing on one thing at a time, and as you said, it's probably too early to say at this stage .

10+ Posting Member

A tip regarding engine gauges and other stuff as well - if you go to http://oncealoft.com (not affiliated with them, it's just a good site), you'll find literally tons of stuff for cockpits. They've got hundreds of gauges, all for $35-$45, with the description saying something along the lines of "email us and we'll find whatever gauge you need", so I'm pretty certain you'll be able to fine the engine instruments there. Just leave some for me. They also have a 737CL MIP (just the metal bit, no instruments) for about $500, with all the correct cutouts for the version you seem to be going for, judging by the images on the first page of your thread.

75+ Posting Member

Hi POTKC,
    Oncealoft is a great site, I haven't been in contact with them but I hope to source some parts from there eventually. I was hoping to laser cut my MIP panels out of metal or acrylic to save some cash, buy if that's the route you're going down, it'll look magnificent with all original parts! It is certainly great to see someone else working on a classic, there isn't as much information out there as the NG's, that's for sure.

If you need them, I have the measurements for an electronic EADI and EHSI sourced from a real maintenance manual, I can pm you the page if you like.

Henri

10+ Posting Member

Yes, please do, that would be amazing! Thank you! I've also located a -300 MIP for sale for about $200 on cockpitbuilders.com, however the classified ad is from several years ago, so I'm not sure how relevant that is. I might just go with the cutting-it-out-of-wood strategy, as that should be pretty cheap to do.

How are you planning to do the FMC CDU? Real units sell on eBay for $1800, and simulator plug-and-play ones (for the NG, but it's pretty much the same, right?) seem to be pretty expensive too...the cheapest I've found is a 'barely used' one for $400 + shipping. What's your idea for that?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast