Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

I am an idiot - and not a small one....

Hi,
    To take my mind off the trials and tribulations I recently had with my yoke I decided to wire up my overhead to a bodnar card.
    I have a "real" overhead which came out of a business jet, as you can imaging the back looks a mess of wires so I decided to remove the old wiring and just leave myself all the switches to connect the bodnar card to.
    So I was happily snipping away, removing every strand of old wire I could find, when suddenly the realisation dawned on me. I had totally butchered all the wiring for the overhead backlighting. It was all ready to be connected to a power source with no work at all on my part.
    I stood and looked at my handy work, it looked like a badly shaved hedgehog with a skin condition.
    I didnt know whether to scream or cry, but resigned myself to a sit down in the conrner rocking back and forth saying "no" over and over again. I had even pulled out some of the led's to "see what there were".
    If there was a prize for "Muppet of the Year" I would surely win.......and dont call me Shirley.
    I tried to see a way to salvage it but I am an expert at removing perfectly good backlighing wires so it was trashed....
    On the positive side I now have a nicely wired up overhead panel with more swicthes than I know what to do with....it is just bereft of light..... I didnt know I would get so excited flicking a switch that says "No Smoking" and hearing the comforting Ding sound.
    I can also start my engines whilst sat on my mouse...
    Allan.

2. Thanks Norwegian737project thanked for this post
    500+ This must be a daytime job Sean Nixon's Avatar

Re: I am an idiot - and not a small one....

So that's how you got your username!

4. Thanks Geremy Britton thanked for this post

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Nixon View Post
    So that's how you got your username!
    Normally I am just clueless, hence the name...... but that is the most idiotic thing I have done.
    What was I thinking - I thought the wires were just part of the switches so started to butcher them, I almost cried when I realised what I had done.
    I am trying to convince myself that as I am relabling the switches for my use then the backlighting would be covered with the labels. Weak argument but I am sticking with it...
    Allan.

150+ Forum Groupie

Dude, what the bleeeeeeeeeep-bleeeeeeeep-bleeeeeeeeeeeeeep do you think you are? Ya think ya better than me???? HUH??? Why should YOU be let off easy when I had to wire E_V_E_R_Y_D_A_R_N_T_H_I_N_G_Y up myself? Backlighting, annunciators, switches, encoders, LED displays, servos, 12v bus for overhead lights...

Stop your yappin' and get back to RETROFIT those old, dusty wires with shiny, new ones! Only you will know, but that is a detail.

That's why we invented the slogan "**** happens". Too late now, just fix it. And become the (probably) sole expert on wiring up real backlighting. I don't think our "group" has one of those.

Hey, we've all been there. Just the other day, I was cutting parts for a oxy panel replica I'm working on. Was finished with a piece, just HAD to "straighten" a little with the plunge router on one edge (could've just as easily - and with more control - have grabbed the hand file...).
    4-5 hours later, I had a brand new part made...

notgotaclue,

eventually you would have had to strip out those wires anyway and replace the existing bulbs with LEDs. This is exactly what i did as these lamps (in my simpit) run at 23volts, they get very hot, and i don't have replacement bulbs. With LEDs you face none of these problems, and you can usually rig the lamp assembly to fit into the existing annunciator slot.

150+ Forum Groupie AVIATor-Olav's Avatar

My lightplates all operate at 5V. I use the real "bulbs" and wouldn't consider replacing them with LEDs, unless they start to burn out off course. Having said this, I had to wire up all the light plates in my OH panel as they had all been cut before I got it. notgotaclu; any chance you've been state side taring down 727's? Someone has been very eager with the snipper over there!! It didn't take long to rewire the lot though, and it all lights up beautyfully now!

I don't mean this in a bad way, but reading your posts with the yoke and now the OH panel has been quite amusing! I'm only laughing 'cause I know all to well what it feels like!

I have spent all day yesterday putting all the backlighting back in using leds.
    After my initial temper tantrum it would have been a crime not to redo it. It is coming along niclely, even though I say so myself and I may even post a picture or two of the overhead when I have finished.
    Maybe a change of name is in order to gotaslightclue.
    Allan.

500+ This must be a daytime job

Allan

If you are doing a straight swop of LED`s for incandescent bulbs, have you included resistors to limit the current? If you have, then great! It was just that I would hate you to find that on power up that there was a big POP after your earlier trials and tribulations

David

Quote Originally Posted by fordgt40 View Post
    Allan

If you are doing a straight swop of LED`s for incandescent bulbs, have you included resistors to limit the current? If you have, then great! It was just that I would hate you to find that on power up that there was a big POP after your earlier trials and tribulations

David
    Hi,
    I bought some off ebay already wired with the resistors. I would not have the patience to solder (or as the Americans say "sodder") 100 resistors. As it is they just connect togther easy, peasy, lemon, squeezy.
    Allan.

500+ This must be a daytime job

Allan

That is fine then - I was just being cautious, having blown up LED`s myself

David

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast