Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    500+ This must be a daytime job

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: Interfacing a Basic ASI Gauge

Hi Jack,
    Welcome to the world of Sioc. David is correct, you really need to sit down and read thorughly the manuals provided by O/C. By reading all of their docs
    you will get a better understanding of how all of this fits together. From your questions there appears many hole in your understanding. Believe me we all have gone thru this and will tell you that much satisfaction will be gained by better understanding.This will lead you to being able to dissect and modify others code to suit you. O/c forum site has a sub section of examples, when you better iunderstand SIOC this section will be invaluable .
    Hope this helps, just remember there are many users here but first one has to get a basic grasp on what happens overall when one trys to interface hardware with fsim.
    Rgds
    Les

500+ This must be a daytime job Boeing 747 Flyer's Avatar

I have sat through the entire SIOC tutorial, SIOC II is broken (dead link).

I have read the SIOC manual.

I know exactly what the "var" and "length" entires are, but I just don't know how you GET them (ie where).

Var is of course the variable, and length is the associated length entry appropriate to the PM offset (according to the SIOC tutorial).

Furthermore, I think a lack of FSUIPC resources is also a contributing factor. I have searched and searched for the "advanced users manual" which apparently provides a list of FSUIPC offsets, but I couldn't find it. So I downloaded FSInterragator, and managed to obtain the Offset code for IAS on the ASI, however still couldn't find the variable number or the relavent information to proceed further.

I have put substantial effort into trying to understand all the SIOC scripts mentioned in this thread, and I think going from zero knowledge to knowing how to properly scale and things is rather difficult.

The SIOC manual hasn't been updated since 2004, and still refers back to the very old SIOC versions, very, very confusing.

The SIOC PowerPoint presentation teaches me nothing (I actually watched it twice previous to making this thread), it only explains things like where SIOC is used, what it does, when to use it, not HOW or what to do.

It is extraordinarily difficult for me to understand all this when I have absolutely no scripting/programming experience.

Jack

Progress

The var number is your choice you can have Var 0001, Var 9999 etc etc - you just cannot have two of the same number

Do you have a registered copy of FSUIPC - the list of offsets is in it

Read this link to understand how to access information from FSUIPC

http://www.lekseecon.nl/howto.html#readFSUIPC

David

Hiya David,

When you say in FSUIPC, are you referring to in-sim FSUIPC or the provided manuals?

According to the link to Nicos site, the offsets are in the "Programmers Manual", I will try and find this.

Jack

Do you have a registered copy of FSUIPC - http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.html

I am not certain what is inside Nico`s "Programmers Manual" , may well be fine, but the authority is the FSUIPC list of offsets

David

I've had a go at making my own SIOC script using the built-in Config_SIOC tool.

Take a look at this:

As you can see, I've inputted all necessary information... But when I hit okay, nothing happens! Shouldn't a line of SIOC script appear?

By the way, of course these are not the true values, I am just making a default example. The L, C, and R values will change along with the Device number, etc.

Jack

Jack

Where is your script? You should make up scripts using a text editor and then complie using sioc. Please read the Howto section on Nico`s site - http://www.lekseecon.nl/configsioc.html.

David

500+ This must be a daytime job kiek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Boeing 747 Flyer View Post
    It is extraordinarily difficult for me to understand all this when I have absolutely no scripting/programming experience.
    I believe that in this case you should not try to write a script for a Servo, much to dificult for a beginner...

The FSUIPC for programmers manual is in the FSUIPC SDK (to be downloaded from Pete Dowson's page)

If you push OK in the GUI tool of Config_sioc you wil have add a line to the SIOC script. You can get that script by Exporting it to a txt file. In your example you only have defined the Servo definition var, you should also write an algorithm doing someting with that var. That is the difficult part...

And, like fordgt40 says, it is much easier to use the Notepad editor and to write the script using that text editor, after that comple it with config_sioc.exe.
    Last edited by kiek; 06-20-2010 at 06:48 AM.

Okay Nico, I will try that.

Right, I've poured all of my knowledge into the following very simple script.

Whilst it does bear similarities to other scripts posted here, I did make this one completely by myself.

It is not finished, I have not defined the scaling or anything like that... One step at a time.

Code:
    // *****************************************************************************
    // * Config_SIOC ver 3.7B1   -     By Manolo Vélez    -    www.opencockpits.com
    // *****************************************************************************
    // * FileName : sioc.txt
    // * Date : 20/06/2010

Var 9004, name Servo4, Link USB_SERVOS, Output 4, PosL 1, PosC 511, PosR 1023, Type 2     // Servo Motor

Var 9005, name IndAirSpeed, Link FSUIPC_INOUT, Offset $02BC, Length 4     // Value of Indicated Air Speed * 128
    Progress?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast