10+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

My Portable Saitek Setup

I have a unique simpit requirement - I must share the computer and computer space with my wife. Okay, that's not so unique. Well, this is my wife's full-time, work-from-home, office... thus, I'm not allowed to keep my "flight sim crap" laying around when I'm not flying. To make things even more interesting, our only space for a computer/office is in a little closet that was originally designed to be a pantry/storage room just off the laundry room. In fact, there's not even a power outlet in this room, I had to drag in two long-corded power strips.

So... after a year or so of spending the majority of my "simulator time" setting up and tearing down the gear, as opposed to actually flying, I decided to come up with some sort of "permanent mount" setup that I could just carry in from the garage when it was time to fly and carry back out when I was done. My biggest challenge was that I needed to get my invention (whatever it was going to be) down a narrow hallway, around a "snake turn" (quick left then right) and through a 30" doorway. It was going to be tight.

After a bit of research, I settled on a design that I purchased from Roger Dodger Aviation (the Floor Unit Frame). It looked about the right size, and since it was made out of PVC pipe, it would be light weight and easy to carry back and forth. This ended up working perfectly (with a slight modification for my size restrictions), and I was able to mount my CH Yoke/TQ/Pedals and a modified keyboard (also a Roger Dodger specialty).

Here is the finished frame:

And here is what I successfully carried back and forth for many months:

This worked great for a while. Then I began acquiring a few Saitek panels... and then a few more. They all managed to squeeze onto that frame, but it was becoming unwieldy. And then I read this post by Rcolle. And a flash of brilliance struck me! I could do THAT! But, I needed a Saitek yoke, too, because it was flat and would allow a MIP monitor to be placed over it. So, new Saitek yoke acquired, I set out on my quest.

I was bankrupt on the sim budget by this time, so I had to get creative. An old Sauder bookshelf that was gathering dust in the garage presented the perfect opportunity. Since it was a decorated veteran of 3 garage sales without a single buyer, I figured I did not need to seek the wife's permission. Out came the skill saw, a few wood screws, and the power drill, and the bookshelf was soon converted to a passable cockpit. Here are a few pictures of the various stages:

Boards hacked up and cut to size:

Saitek gear mounted:

Clever use of the bookshelf's "cardboard backing stuff" to cover up the holes for potential future use:

And the whole contraption, carried into the closet, fired up and working:

I left an exact measured size on the right avionics stack for an additional Saitek radio panel. I'm not quite sure what to do with the left side "extra space", but I have a wireless "ten-key" keypad that I use for simulator events (pause, screen capture, TrackIR re-center, etc.) that needs to be mounted somewhere, and I would love to setup some sort of iPad mount. I've found the iPad to be very handy in the "cockpit" for maps, digital AFDs, general web browsing on those long flights, etc.

So, thanks to Rcolle for the inspiration; Roger Dodger for the plans, and this forum for putting me in touch with both. While it's not the best "pit" on here, it works wonderfully well for my unique situation.

150+ Forum Groupie verticallimit's Avatar

Re: My Portable Saitek Setup

Fine solution, and it looks nice.
    Sincerely,

Claus

Your workshop is far too clean and organised.
    To be a real workshop it must have at least and inch of sawdust on all surfaces and power tools left plugged in and balanced dangerously on a kitchen stool. Trailing wires are optional but recommended.
    Also NEVER EVER put the hammer and screwdrivers back where they belong. It is great fun hunting for them when required.
    Allan.
    P.S. Dont forget to keep all your assorted screws in a big metal container so you have to search for ages to find the right size.

150+ Forum Groupie

Quote Originally Posted by notgotaclue View Post
    Your workshop is far too clean and organised.
    To be a real workshop it must have at least and inch of sawdust on all surfaces and power tools left plugged in and balanced dangerously on a kitchen stool. Trailing wires are optional but recommended.
    Also NEVER EVER put the hammer and screwdrivers back where they belong. It is great fun hunting for them when required.
    Allan.
    P.S. Dont forget to keep all your assorted screws in a big metal container so you have to search for ages to find the right size.
    LOL An absolutely perfect description of my garage/workbench area!!
    Bill
    P3D/ IFly737 Pro

10+ Posting Member

Looking good!