Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast
    500+ This must be a daytime job Boeing 747 Flyer's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: Large number of flickering/ghost inputs on Master Cards

Just to confirm, I have tried plugging another open ended IDC cable into J3 and there is indeed some flickering even with no switches connected! I did not notice it the first time around because it did not command "ALL ON" enough times. The plot thickens!

500+ This must be a daytime job

Hi David/Jack,
    Now you have your P/S, hook that up be careful to get Polarity right.
    If you still get your flickering then I think we need to see EXACTLY what your
    test setup is. Beg, Borrow, steal a Camera.
    All I know is that I can repeat your problems when I have a lousy or no P/S
    connected to exactly the same setup as you. ie usb exp/ 1 m/c /1 display card.
    Let us know what happens.
    Les

Hi Les,

I am trying to work out how to get this PSU wired up. Unfortunately it has come with no documentation and half a ton of molex connectors. The fan does not start when turned on (although I suppose this is because it has to be plugged into a motherboard or something similar to get it spinning).

I see a few pages you back mentioned using the "red" wires, may I ask which ones? There are 3 red wires in total. Also, you mention touching the black and green together, is this by action of a momentary push button (like PC ON) or is a latching type required? On another note, there appears to be about 5 black wires and one green wire.

Sorry to be a pain, I have absolutely (!) no experience with these PC PSUs so am a bit lost even after reading some online documentation and guides.

Cheers,

Jack

No problem Jack,
    On the 20 pin molex connector there should be a green wire and a black wire beside each other. Link these two for
    the power supply to be on always when Master power switch is on. Or put a latched switch so you can turn it of and on at will.
    There will be cables coming out that have 4 pin Molex connectors with Red -Black-Black-Yellow.
    You want one of the Blacks(-V) and the Red(+5v). The yellow is 12v, do not use.
    You can test the p/s by turning on the Master switch then link the Black and Green and the fan should work.
    Sometimes you may have to load the 5v line with a resistor if you have no load on the 5v line.
    Test the 5v line with your multimeter.
    Good Luck
    Les
    P.S I have been doing some more testing on my main unit and here I can see the
    Monitor .The only time I can see some inputs flicker(very quick) is when I turn off
    All ON. It doesn't happen all the time. But at no times does any input actually Turn Green
    in the Upper 0-72 input box.
    Does your one momentarily turn green or is it flickering green all the time ALL ON sent.
    Can you go into your sioc directory and run Contralador .exe and hit Start button and check your switches work and then command an ALL ON. Do you get any switch numbers appear. I do not, but I still get Sioc Monitor to show this quick flick as said earlier.
    Then repeat it with your dummy cable connected to J3

Hi Les,

Still no luck with this PSU. After connecting the black and green together, the fan fires up for a split second and then it goes dead. Simultaneously there is 5V across the output and then it goes dead.

It does this every time I try to turn it on, so not sure what has happened here.

Jack

Jack,
    Connect a low value resistor between 5v and gnd. It probably needs a small load. The green and black have to be
    permanently connected.
    Les

Hi Les,

That's exactly how I have them connected. 30 Ohm resistor between 5V and GND and green & black are permanently wired. The whole thing boots for a second and then dies. I can get it to repeat this by disconnecting and then reconnecting the green & black wires.

In fact, if I touch the green and black together and then apart really quickly (like On/Off/On/Off/On/Off) I can get the fan to spin and get 5V from the output. It just won't stay on.

My ATX p/s does not need any load.Try a 10ohm resistor , it may need a bit more current. Looked up the net and some have used a 10 ohm here.
    If no joy just connect it up to your m/c(Check polarity) and see if its better.
    Les

Jack,
    How did you go with your p/s. Both of my ATX p/s here only require the Black and Green
    joined and everything starts up. No need for a load on these, maybe you have a Bad P/s.
    I suppose you could pinch 5v off your p/c P/s, is that a possibility?.

I have done some more testing and are able to reproduce I think what u r.
    Wasn't able before as I was using my Laptop for testing.
    I surmise that the problem lies not so much with the P/S Output but noise and layout.

During my testing which comprised my main PC with FSX and SIOC and connected to my
    Panel. Panel I think necessary because this will be real situation. I found that leaving the 5v
    physically disconnected and cockpit Panel P/S turned off then I got flickering inputs. However
    if I now Switched on the Cockpit P/S and still left off the 5v plug to the M/C this flickering
    stopped. Also leaving the Switch off on the Cockpit Panel p/s but plugging in the 5v plug to
    the M/C fixed it also. This was with NO ALL ON set.
    The effect I was getting would have randomly operated switches on your panel.

I also connected a separate 5V 2 amp supply to the M/C without switching it on but did not
    help in any way.
    So for my one connecting a PC P/S stopped all of the flickering. I even went into FSX and
    had everything running, pulled up SIOC Monitor and did an ALL ON with no ill effects.

My conclusion is that a PC P/S is needed and wiring layout maybe a major part of your
    problems. Grounding issues can cause problems like this bought about how negatives
    of supplies are used and routed. Lets just hope you can get a PC p/s to run.
    I am not sure I can do much more testing on my system as I have already had two near
    disasters.
    les

Hi Les,

I found the problem; on my PSU, in addition to wiring the green & black together, there is also a brown wire that needs to be taken into account (unlike most of the other PSUs). I have sorted this now and the PSU is working fine, I am just wiring a simple digital voltmeter and ammeter in series with the PSU so that I can see at all times what the voltage across the MCs and & current through them is.

I'll report back when I'm ready to connect the PSU to the MCs.

Cheers,

Jack

11. Dislikes johanathan disliked this post
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast