PDA

View Full Version : Your Departure and Arrival 'norms'

Tomlin
07-31-2007, 09:31 AM
I was just wondering, who here mostly flies from their 'home base' or begins at what may seem to be more interesting airports. This thought comes up time to time, but especially as I have been adding more high detailed scenery to my FS9 lately and I try to keep flight times below 2 hours.

EDIT***

This is in response to Bob's comment re no choice for those who fly from the last place they landed. That was an excellent choice, but I just honestly didnt think of that one! Actually, this is what I used to do all the time and I would agree Bob, I believe this is a very popular method too. I would go back and add it as an option, but I dont see how to.

Thanks,

ET

Bob Reed
07-31-2007, 09:40 AM
As a rule of thumb..If I am just flying, (unless it is a flight for my VA which I treat differently) I fly from where ever I landed the plane last.

sas550
07-31-2007, 10:33 AM
Since I always fly Vatsim I check wherever there are controllers and traffic. Mostly Europe.
Since I discovered Vatsim flightsimming took a whole new turn. It's just to bleak to fly offline now. Off course I do it when I have to check something.
For those that haven't tried online flying, if you're wife thinks you're wasting to much time at the sim, don't bother go online since your marriage will be put to a hard test ;).

Old one but makes me ROFLAO everytime.
http://www.marleentimmer.com/worteldrie/flash/emer.html

Michael Carter
07-31-2007, 11:19 AM
As a rule of thumb..If I am just flying, (unless it is a flight for my VA which I treat differently) I fly from where ever I landed the plane last.

Same as Bob. Air France is mainly a hub and spoke system, so it's out and back most of the time. Flying a KLM codeshare adds a bit more variety.

When I fly GA, I'll fly to or from wherever strikes my fancy at the time, but it's always in Europe. There are a lot of places I like to go that Air France/KLM doesn't.

Geremy Britton
07-31-2007, 11:28 AM
Well basicly i like to fly from places i know (UK) and sometimes if i've already travelled somewhere by plane in the real world as a passenger it's always nice to fly the same route in the simulated world as a pilot :D

Gez

Tomlin
07-31-2007, 11:44 AM
Same as Bob. Air France is mainly a hub and spoke system, so it's out and back most of the time. Flying a KLM codeshare adds a bit more variety.

When I fly GA, I'll fly to or from wherever strikes my fancy at the time, but it's always in Europe. There are a lot of places I like to go that Air France/KLM doesn't.

Michael,

What airlines are still actively using 727's these days in pax service?

James Twomey
07-31-2007, 12:11 PM
For myself, I have a set route that I fly. I go from KSEA to KSAN, then onto KPHX, to KDFW to KSFO back to KSEA. Like Bob, I just start were I just last landed.

James

Tomlin
07-31-2007, 01:26 PM
I guess I need to put in a bit of answer myself besides my vote on the poll.

The 'realist' in me has seen me start almost always from the airport closest to where I live in the real world but back when I was flying the NG exclusively, I had to ensure that I was flying from the 'correct' airport when flying for Delta or ATA. Often I flew the ATA and a BBJ just so I could have more flexibility in my routes since both are 'charterable'. Now with the Learjet, it really opens up the possibilities of tons more airports, but I also have gotten to where I dont have time to fly long legs anymore so I almost always try to fly either to or from a nicer add-on airport. A good example of the 'realist' in me is how I LOVE the Flight Zone PDX scenery, as well as the FlyTampa KSEA, and it's the perfect distance, but it's on the other side of the country and no where near where I live, so I struggle. I also struggle with what time to fly the sim in- I usually almost always fly it with the real world time. Unfortunately, that means I cant see the scenery anyhow since I fly at night most of the time! :-)

Michael Carter
07-31-2007, 01:54 PM
Michael,

What airlines are still actively using 727's these days in pax service?

As of October of last year:

Aero Africa
Aerogal
Aerosur
African Express Airways
Afrik Air Links
Air Horizon Togo
Air Libya
Ariana Afghan Airlines
AZAL Azerbaijan Airlines
Boston-Maine Airways
Buraq Air
Champion Air
Chanchangi Airlines
Fly Linhas A駻eas
Freedom Air Services
HBA - Hewa Bora Airways
Iran Air
Iran Aseman Airlines
Iraqi Airways
JAT Airways
Jatayu Air
Jordan Aviation
Kallat Elsaker Air
Kinshasa Airways
LAB Airlines
Libyan Arab Airlines
Mega Airlines
Miami Air
Nationwide Airlines
Naturelink Charter
Nomads
Platinum Linhas A駻eas
Roush Air
Santa Barbara Airlines
Starjet Canada
Syrianair
TAME Ecuador
Tigris Air
Trans Air Congo - TAC
Turan Air

It has been mostly relegated to cargo operations in the US. No major foreign carrier operates them any longer for passenger service. TAME and LAB are probably the two largest outside of the United States. They do both cargo and pax service.

Tomlin
07-31-2007, 03:09 PM
Yeah, that is what I was thinking. Still, a VERY classy girl I say. In fact, how cool was it that I met a very good friend once just because he and his wife were on a DL 727 that was open for tours at the Jacksonville Blue Angels airshow once.

Ive never flown on one, but I still like 'em.

Also, there is a really big retro fit operation at KJAX for 727s. Im sure that some of those airlines you mentioned have recieved some from that company there at JAX. I used to go down to their security gate and have a peek when I still lived in the area.

ekezz
07-31-2007, 04:58 PM
@sas550: that site you put in, amazing. believe it or not, but I have worked with the lady called Marleen Timmer for many years. Is surprising to find her website mentioned over heren.

Anyway, I guess w'll have to take this poll to the homepag if you dont mind.
pls adv

AndyT
07-31-2007, 05:07 PM
Like Bob, from where I landed last.

I am flying around the world in the G1000 Mooney and right now I'm in the USA zig zagging back and forth across the country. I plan on landing in each state at least once.

Bob Reed
07-31-2007, 05:47 PM
Well looks to me like that is not a choice in the poll.. And also looks to me like how most of us fly.

sas550
07-31-2007, 05:49 PM
@sas550: that site you put in, amazing. believe it or not, but I have worked with the lady called Marleen Timmer for many years. Is surprising to find her website mentioned over heren.

It's a small world at times. But it's just a link I picked up at Scandinavian-VA's forum. Posted there by Egbert Drenth who then was the manager for SVA. Great flash though.

Michael Carter
07-31-2007, 06:13 PM
Just finished a short flight out to the French coast to Brest LFPB. Nowhere to go from there except back to de Gaulle.

I don't mind though, but I used to fly a lot of round robin's at Delta.

KATL, KMEM, KSTL, KORD, KLEX, KATL was my favorite route.