PDA

View Full Version : Motion Platform builder wannabe.

kranky
07-11-2007, 11:57 PM
My first post. Of many I hope.

I'm a student at UW-Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA. I'm currently a Senior expected to graduate this december with a degree in Mechanical Engineering. My background in aviation stems from my time spent in the military as a Harrier mechanic. After that I also worked for the airlines for some time. Then I decided to head back to school.

Well about a year ago my friend and I started this organization at school call the Aeronautic & Aerospace Oranization and it has been quite successful. We've taken on the task of building a flight simulator.

To date, we've purchased an old fuselage from a junkyard. Eventually inside of it will be the flight controls and radio stack we purchased from Flight Link. All this with me inside of it will be on top of what I hope to be a 3 DOF motion platform.

If you're still reading this, I'm impressed and you're obviously b0red. I have pictures if anyone is interested. If all goes well you will see me around here.......a lot. I'd like to keep a record of our progress on a website. We'll see though, there are only so many hours in the day.

Til then...

Kranky

AndyT
07-12-2007, 12:10 AM
kranky,

Wheres the pix man?! Dont tease us like that! ;):D

QF6228
07-12-2007, 12:30 AM
You can count me in for 1 that is interested..
Bring on the pictures, I would love to follow ure progression.;)

Damien

wannabeaflyer
07-12-2007, 07:45 AM
Pictures Pictures You can never have enough pictures LOL:-) belive me having seen the contarption i have built and it works. cant help but think i must have the wirdest 2DOF platform out there but at fine tunning stage now and always on the lookout for different ways of achieving our dream of motion as Andy T says dont tease post pictures and Please LOL:-

Trevor Hale
07-12-2007, 07:57 AM
Welcome to Mycockpit.org

Your project is ambitious. Good for you. Remember All that weight sitting up in the 3DOF Platform will take a lot of Hydro to move around. You won't need a money tree for the sim, just for the Hydro Bill LOL.

Great Job, and keep us posted. If you would like set up a photo gallery, so we can watch your progress.

Best regards,

Trev

kranky
07-12-2007, 10:23 PM
Don't get too excited. I don't have much to show right now. But here are some pics of our computer, controls, and the junk fuselage. Lots of work ahead. :)

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb169/kranky22/?action=view&current=982a5c80.pbw

Westozy
07-12-2007, 10:37 PM
Great pics Kranky, welcome to MyCockpit

Gwyn

Bob Reed
07-12-2007, 10:47 PM
Hey Kranky nice start! Good luck and welcome home!!!!

AndyT
07-13-2007, 12:01 AM
177 Cardinal. Very sweet.

jmig
07-13-2007, 08:15 AM
Congratulations on going back to school and getting your engineering degree. It takes a special person to go back, when mom and dad aren’t paying for college.

Welcome also, to the community of pit builders. The photo’s are impressive. Best of luck.