PDA

View Full Version : PM-systems startup checklist for 737NG

emroom
06-05-2007, 08:01 AM
Hi all,

I am considering PM-systems but I have some trouble getting it started up. I use the PMDG 737-700 which starts with (some checks omitted):

1. turn on battery;
2. turn on AFT Left 1 fuel pump;
3. start APU;
4. when "bus gen" lights turn on, switch on both bus generators;
5. make sure engine bleed air is off;
6. turn APU bleed air on.

After this, the checklist continues, all the way until engines are started. However, with PM-systems there seems to be another sequence of events required, because the APU-related gauge has its needle stuck to "zero" and the lights do not turn on.

I am using a modified panel.cfg for the PMDG 737-700, that has everything removed after the first [window] section, and also all gauge lines for this first section.

Is there a checklist available? Am I doing something wrong? Should I also remove the first [window] section from the panel.cfg?

Thanks in advance,
Best regards,
Edwin.

--
Edwin Room
Zaandam, The Netherlands.

rippey
06-05-2007, 09:00 AM
Did you make sure the standby power switch in PMSystems is in either auto or bat? I can't remember if that switch is modelled by PMDG, but it is in PMSystems. When you start the APU does the low oil press light illuminate and then extinguish?

emroom
06-05-2007, 09:58 AM
Yes, Standby power is set to "auto".

When PM-systems is started "cold & dark" on a cold & dark PMDG 737-700, I follow this sequence:

1. Battery switch "on";
2. DC Sel to "battery";

result: display shows 28 DC Volts;
result: all fuel pumps show "low pressure" lit; hyd pumps show "low pressure" lit (4 times); lights next to the "bus trans" switch are all lit ("transfer bus off", "source off") and also the two blue generator lights are lit ("Gen off bus").

When I start the APU, nothing happens with the "low pressure" light above the APU EGT gauge; it was off and it stays off.

Could it be related to the two blue "GEN OFF BUS" lights, which are lit, while they should not be?

Thanks anyway,
Edwin.

rippey
06-05-2007, 10:25 AM
I think the two blue Gen off Bus lights should be on for the main generators...unlike the two blue lights for the APU generators which only light if the APU is up and running and the apu gen bus is offline. If the low oil press light doesn't come on, it sounds like the apu just isn't starting up. I wonder if it is a conflict with the PMDG panel...I am also using the PMDG, but I use the stock microsoft 737 panel with it, I haven't tried it the way you described. Sorry I couldn't be more help!

Bob Reed
06-05-2007, 10:32 AM
What do you mean a "cold and dark" PMDG. You can not use PMSystems with the PMDG panels.

emroom
06-05-2007, 01:10 PM
I think the two blue Gen off Bus lights should be on for the main generators...unlike the two blue lights for the APU generators which only light if the APU is up and running and the apu gen bus is offline. If the low oil press light doesn't come on, it sounds like the apu just isn't starting up. I wonder if it is a conflict with the PMDG panel...I am also using the PMDG, but I use the stock microsoft 737 panel with it, I haven't tried it the way you described. Sorry I couldn't be more help!

That could be the problem, indeed. How do you use the default panel? just copy the panel.cfg from the default aircraft?

@Bob: what do you use, if you do not use PMDG panels? The same solution that rippey suggests?

Thanks,
Edwin.

Bob Reed
06-05-2007, 01:28 PM
Well... I use the PM software..... Try it with the default 737 and see what happens. There is a way to remove all the panel files from the PMDG. There is a utility on PM's web site (at least there used to be) that help you do it.

emroom
06-05-2007, 02:50 PM
Well... I use the PM software..... Try it with the default 737 and see what happens. There is a way to remove all the panel files from the PMDG. There is a utility on PM's web site (at least there used to be) that help you do it.

I have found a panel zip file (http://www.projectmagenta.com/downloads/builds/pm737panel30.zip) that is basically an almost empty panel.cfg, which might work with pm-systems.

I will try that file, or else I will try with the default 737.

Thanks,
Edwin.

rippey
06-05-2007, 04:04 PM
the sim is powered down right now so I can't see the exact wording, but to use the default panel all I did was edit the PMDG panel.cfg file for the model I was using to something like

ALIAS=b737_400\panel or something like that

one line...if you look at some of your PMDG panel.cfg for the different variations you can see how they use the 'alias' command.

emroom
06-06-2007, 01:28 AM
Thanks Rippey,

I will give it a try.

Best regards,
Edwin.

emroom
06-06-2007, 03:05 PM
Thanks for your cooperation, Rippey and Bob,

But I have not been able to get the APU started with the Demo version of PM-systems. I tested with the default 737, with a panel.cfg from the PM website, with a panel.cfg only containing:

[fltsim]
ALIAS=b737-400\panel

But the APU EGT gauge needle does not move, the LOW PRESSURE light stays off.

No luck for me...
Best regards,
Edwin.

aluver
06-07-2007, 02:21 AM
Didn't you forget to check APU bleed ? ( must be off before starting APU )

ralmav
06-07-2007, 01:43 PM
Hi,
important for starting the APU:
The Isolation valve switch must be in the Auto position if itīs off you canīt start the APU.
hope this helps
Ralf

emroom
06-07-2007, 03:25 PM
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your help. I finally got it running.
The problem was that I was used to use PMDG737 where the APU switch has 2 possible values: off and on.

I assumed this was the case with PM-systems as well (I do not have OVH hardware). So what I was doing all the time was setting the switch one position down, from off to the center position.

After reading the Logic file for the 737, I figured that this APU start switch has THREE modes!!! So by clicking with the mouse just a little more to the bottom of the panel and there it goes, low pressure light lits and extinguishes, and EGT needle is rising. Finally...

After this, starting the engines was easy...

Again, thanks for trying to help me out!

Best regards,
Edwin.