PDA

View Full Version : Navigation lights too big when using a beamer

Hans Krohn
05-12-2007, 11:11 AM
Hi,

I started to use my new visual system with 3 beamers. 12 x 3 feet projection area... the new level of immersion is still blowing my mind. Or to put it another way: My wife started to stop by and actually watch me fly for a while :-)

Just one small problem (ther is ALWAYS a small problem in cockpits, isn't there...?):

With the beamers, the navigation lights on the airplanes and approach lights on the airports are way too big. Is there any known way to reduce their size?

Thx and best regards,
Hans

Bob Reed
05-12-2007, 11:22 AM
Yes there is a way to fix that... But I do not remember how. Maybe someone here does?

JBaymore
05-12-2007, 11:38 AM
Yeah...... for part of it in the fs9.cfg file. There is something like runway_lights_scalar or something like that....can't remember right now. If I remember correctly you cahnge the value there and it increases/decreases the size. Ther are other obviously named "scalar" entries too that cover some other stuff.

WHen I get a chance... I'll check and get back on this.

EDIT:

Here is one section of the fs9.cfg

[DISPLAY]
UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=20
TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=100
TextureMaxLoad=5 //added 10/30/06 tried 10 and down
RUNWAY_LIGHTS_SURFACE_SCALAR=1.2
RUNWAY_LIGHTS_VASI_SCALAR=1.0
RUNWAY_LIGHTS_APPROACH_SCALAR=1.0
RUNWAY_LIGHTS_STROBE_SCALAR=1.5

best,

.....................john

brianwilliamson
05-12-2007, 01:23 PM
Try these out. They are on Avsim :
xenon3.zip
airport_lighting_v2.zip
aht5.zip

Cheers...............Brian W.

bindook
05-12-2007, 04:23 PM
ok guy's , is it possible not to have a fs9.cfg file?? as i can't find mine. Done a search in the whole pc ....nothing!!!

Michael

Bob Reed
05-12-2007, 04:30 PM
No not possible.. Do you have the PC setup so you can see hidden and system files?

pylet
05-12-2007, 05:52 PM
It's a pain to find... mine is located here, C:\Documents and Settings\Lyle\Application Data\Microsoft\FS9.

Good luck.

bindook
05-12-2007, 06:27 PM
found it........how come it was never found when i did a search????

NicD
05-12-2007, 06:35 PM
RUNWAY_LIGHTS_SURFACE_SCALAR=1.2
RUNWAY_LIGHTS_VASI_SCALAR=1.0
RUNWAY_LIGHTS_APPROACH_SCALAR=1.0
RUNWAY_LIGHTS_STROBE_SCALAR=1.5

yep - thats them. They change the 'bloom' of the light source. With a smaller number you get more of a pinpoint of light, larger numbers create a wide light bloom. Projectors and the TripleHead2Go seem to accentuate the bloom effect.

sbecker777
05-12-2007, 11:14 PM
you have to have "show hidden files" checked in Folder Options...
Steve

Hans Krohn
05-13-2007, 05:25 AM
Thanks, guys!
I will try this out and report on the results.

But all the answers seem to refer to runway lights only. How about the position lights on the AI aircraft? They display the same blooming effect...

Regards,
Hans

Westozy
05-13-2007, 07:14 AM
Looking forward to your next videos Hans!

Hans Krohn
05-15-2007, 04:13 AM
Hi all,

I made the suggested changes in the fs9.cfg file and also used new textures for the aircraft lights from "aht5.zip", available on Avsim. Runway lights look very good now, but the AI planes still are awash in light (looks like angles moving around the airport, not planes :-) )

Still have to figgure out how to fix that...

Videos will follow shortly. But not with my webcam anymore - it does not synchronize well with the projected images. But my digital camera delivers nice clips, albeit bigger in size.

Regards,
Hans

Trevor Hale
05-15-2007, 08:00 AM
Hi all,

I made the suggested changes in the fs9.cfg file and also used new textures for the aircraft lights from "aht5.zip", available on Avsim. Runway lights look very good now, but the AI planes still are awash in light (looks like angles moving around the airport, not planes :-) )

Still have to figgure out how to fix that...

Well you know Hans, If your not happy with the results, you could just send me your 3 projectors. I would be more then happy to deal with 120 degrees of view but AI planes that have washed out lights. ROFL!

Good Luck

mauriceb
05-15-2007, 11:12 AM
Hi,

I started to use my new visual system with 3 beamers. 12 x 3 feet projection area... the new level of immersion is still blowing my mind. Or to put it another way: My wife started to stop by and actually watch me fly for a while :-)
Hans

Hans
Sorry to slightly hijack this thread, but just a quick question about your visual system. Are you using TripleHeadToGo for an expanded front view or do you use 3 PCs with WideView?
Thanks,
Maurice

Bob Reed
05-15-2007, 11:15 AM
Hi Maurice. I can answer this for Hans. He is using the Triple Head to go.

Hans Krohn
05-15-2007, 12:32 PM
Thanks, Bob!

Indeed, it's the TH2G with 3 Benq 721c beamers. The three screens span a monumental 12 x 3 feet.

Trevor:
just to set the record straight: I am not TOTALLY unhappy with my setup, I just don't think it is yet my time to fly with the angles ... LOL

Hans

mauriceb
05-15-2007, 12:45 PM
found it........how come it was never found when i did a search????

When you do a search, you have to go in the "More Advanced functions' and select 'search hidden files & folders' .

Maurice