PDA

View Full Version : Online flying!

Bob Reed
05-09-2007, 11:03 AM
In case you missed my post in the other forum. We are starting a little meeting every once in a while of some of us flying on a server together. If you are interested in joining us please let us know!

BlackWidow
05-09-2007, 08:28 PM
Bob, I missed that post I would defintly be interested in flying online with anyone form this forum. How do i get involved with that? Thanks

Mike

Shamrock224
05-09-2007, 09:01 PM
Hi Mike,
You can connect on FS Multi-player host 71.163.49.235.
Flying at KPHX tonight.

Cheers,
Greg

Shamrock224
05-09-2007, 11:22 PM
Mike,
Thanks for joining us tonight, sorry about the weather, I put that in to test Trevor's little puddle jumper!

From tomorrow, the password for the FS multi-player server will be "ifsbi". There'll also be a teamspeak server at the same IP address and with the same password.

To check out where we're flying any evening, download FSHostSpy from http://www.chocolatesoftware.com/fshost/.

Cheers,
Greg

garyk007
05-10-2007, 12:34 AM
Hi all

I have been interested in online flying for a while now, but always been a bit nervous of making a fool of myself with proceedures etc.

So the question is, can anyone join in the online flying?
And what do we need to know?

Also what time is it?
I am in OZ so I will have to work out the time.

Thanks

Bob Reed
05-10-2007, 01:13 AM
We have been flying every night. There is nothing to know to get started. We so far have just been getting together and flying around the same AP. We are using Teamspeak for radio now as well. So we can talk and fly a the same time. We may at some point do a more structured type of flight but for now we are just having fun.

garyk007
05-10-2007, 02:16 AM
Thanks for the info.

I am assuming that night time is around gmt -8 to 10?

see you in the air.

Trevor Hale
05-10-2007, 07:25 AM
Hi Gary,

OZ is +12 Hours from EST So that would put you at GMT out 7:00pm is your 7:am etc. Some of our other members in OZ find it easier to meet up on weekends.

I look forward to meeting with you online sometime.

Trev

Trevor Hale
05-10-2007, 07:27 AM
Mike,
Thanks for joining us tonight, sorry about the weather, I put that in to test Trevor's little puddle jumper!

I would be glad to fly in anything you can throw at me. LOL As long as your Nerd Gatherer :oops: is able to fly in it, I can fly in it. ROFL!

Sounds like a challange to me.

Westozy
05-10-2007, 08:35 AM
I got you back Trev in the 58 thread!!! lol (Nerd Gatherer, now where did you hear that?)

BlackWidow
05-11-2007, 07:55 AM
I have really enjoyed the online flying I think it gives us a chance to get to know our fellow builders a bit more then just reading there post's. I highly recomend joining in on the flights. Hope to see you all there soon.

Westozy
05-11-2007, 08:12 AM
When I get a new PC + net I'll be in.

Gwyn

Trevor Hale
05-11-2007, 09:09 AM
For those Interested, We will be doing an Online flight tonight. KDCA-KLGA-KDCA

Start and push from the gate at 9:00pm Est. Comms will be on Teamspeak and Gwyn... You could join us on TS and chat with us even if you can't fly with us on the internet.

Bob Reed
05-11-2007, 09:37 AM
Ok folks. Here is the email from Greg. Looking for a 9:00pm EST ( no I do not know what the Zulu time would be!) departure. See ya at the Gate.:

Hi Guys,
So, the flight for tomorrow is KDCA-KLGA-KDCA.

Flightplan for KDCA-KLGA is;
PALEO V44 AGARD KORRY3 - FL210

PAELO is the initial departure fix, there are no standard departures for KDCA, V44 is the airway to AGARD and KORRY3 is the STAR, we break off the KORRY3 arrival at DIALS for the expressway visual into RWY31.

Flightplan for KLGA-KDCA is;
LAGUARDIA1 BIGGY J75 MXE V378 BAL DCA - FL220
LGA1 is the standard departure, J75 and V378 are airways, no STAR into KDCA, it will be vectors.

There's freeware scenery for both airports on AVSIM.

I will set the wx in the FSHOST session so that winds favor RWY31 at LGA and RWY19 at DCA.
Study those charts, both approaches are challenging with very sharp turns on short final.
Can I suggest a 9pm departure time from DCA?

Don't forget the beer!

Cheers,
Greg

Tim
05-11-2007, 12:42 PM
This sounds interesting. I currently use Vox-ATCX so on-line might be fun.

Can someone post a short rundown as to what we must do to be able to join the session?

- Are there programs to download, sites that we must register at, etc.

- Do you fly FS9 or FSX?

- What type aircraft? Currently I fly a Dash 8-400.

Many thanks,

TIM

Bob Reed
05-11-2007, 12:52 PM
Hi Tim. Only program I know that you will need is TeamSpeak. Download it from here http://www.goteamspeak.com/ No registering. Just go to file in FS and click on multiplayer, type in the Ip and click on search. Click join after it finds the server and type in ifsbi when asked for the password. I think the Dash-8 is fine there will be at least 2 737-700s and a Falcon 900

Bob Reed
05-11-2007, 12:58 PM
Oh and Tim, I can't help you with FSX but both are supposed to work.Just don't know how there is more to it!

Tim
05-11-2007, 02:02 PM
Bob,

So I take it to mean most fly FS9? I still have it installed. Would be a good opportunity to use the RXP GNS 530 again.

TIM

Bob Reed
05-11-2007, 02:07 PM
Well all of us in our little group of builders is still using FS9 but if Ray joins in, in his 777 he is using FSX. The server we are running Will do both in the same session but there is more to connecting with FSX and right now I am not up on the procedures for it to work.

Tim
05-11-2007, 02:46 PM
Thanks Bob. I'll give it a try tonight.

TIM

PS: I've been a home cockpit builder since 2001. First was an A320, now a generic twin turboprop.

JBaymore
05-11-2007, 03:30 PM
I tried to check in yesterday to see what was happening,.... but got a message that a password was required? Is that true?

best,

..................john

Bob Reed
05-11-2007, 03:31 PM
Hi John... ifsbi is the pass word.. Just trying to keep surfers out... It is the same for TeamSpeak too.. ifsbi

Shamrock224
05-11-2007, 04:43 PM
The fshost server was down for a couple of hours today, my wife turned offf the pc :-)

I've moved it to another machine that's always-on, along with the teamspeak server so both should be accessible again now.

A tip when connecting to the server, your frame rate setting in FS directly impacts the frequency of online updates to and from the server, I found setting mine to 30FPS give good fluid motion of the other aircraft in the session, please don't set higher. You may all already know this but I didn't, and it does make a real difference!

Cheers,
Greg

JBaymore
05-11-2007, 05:41 PM
Thanks for the password Bob.

And most FSHost flight servers request that you lock to 20 fps for that reason. Which iis where i keep mine online....and mostly offline too.

best,

................john

Tim
05-12-2007, 10:08 AM
I did not make it to KDCA last night. FS9 was not cooperating with the RXP GNS 530.

I did check in with TeamSpeak at about 10:20pm est. I suppose everything was shut down by then.

One question. What do you use to plan the flight? I let FS9 flight planner do the route. Nothing near what you guys were flying. I took me awhile to find the waypoints, drag the track line to the new waypoints and then delete the FS9 selected ones. Is there a better way?

Thanks,

TIM

Bob Reed
05-12-2007, 10:14 AM
Sorry about last night Tim. Seems it was the night of problems. There was a problem on the internet that kept us from doing the flight the way we had planned. Here is the place I get my routs from: http://www.simroutes.com/

BlackWidow
05-12-2007, 10:20 AM
I use FS Navigator. I find it very helpfull to locate waypoints and its great to help identify airports and ILS' and such. I use it when im not flying with a FMC

Michael Carter
05-12-2007, 11:06 AM
Charts. Remember those old-fashioned fold up monstrosities you had to deal with in the cockpit?

And you never could get it to fold where you needed it for your route of flight. :roll:

I still use 'em. ;)

You can also get prefered routing from either the VATSIM Center sites or IVAO.

Tim
05-12-2007, 11:57 AM
The specified route in the post above was not the problem. It was getting the fp into FS9 flight planner.

Do you guys actually load the route you will be flying into FS9 Flight Planner?

I did use the Vatsim Chart Finder to grab the KDCA airport chart and for Korry3 star and KLGA rwy 31 expressway visual.

TIM

Bob Reed
05-12-2007, 12:09 PM
Hi Tim.. No the 3 of us use PM's FMC I think BlackWido was using something too but I am not sure what it was.... Maybe FSNav?

BlackWidow
05-12-2007, 02:01 PM
I was using FSNav, but not to fly by until i switched to the lear before that i was flying the Wilco fleet Legacy and it has its own FMC. if i needed to input a waypoint in my FMC and it would say it was invalid I would go to my FSnav and find a waypoint that was close to the one i didnt have that way I could stay on a somewhat same flight path as everyone else. honestly I have had many problems with using the AP and Fly Flight Plan within FSNav so i do not use it for that I love the fact that it is basicly a moving map with lots of excellent functions. Sometimes i will make the window small enough to fit on the cockpit and use it as a moving map (kinda like GPS). Anyway hope this helps I beelive there are some free flight planning software out there and In SimRoutes there is an option to save the flight as a FS9 flight plan

Tim
05-12-2007, 02:54 PM
Hi BW,

I use the RealityXP GNS 530. I can input waypoints similar to an FMS.

My problem was trying to get the route into FS9 flight planner. I understand the replies to mean that when you guys are flying on-line, you do not use the FS9 flight planner for ATC. Is that correct? You use an FMS for the route and fly just without ATC.

This is my first look at on-line flying so I'm slowly learning.

TIM

Bob Reed
05-12-2007, 03:10 PM
You have it right Tim.. The built in ATC does not work with multilayer anyway so we are not using atc just flying the rout. Hope this clears it up a little.

BlackWidow
05-12-2007, 10:49 PM
Tim you should just come and join us for a flight to see how it is and then you will see how we each do it. Besides its alot of fun.

Tim
05-14-2007, 04:28 PM
Mike,

From tomorrow, the password for the FS multi-player server will be "ifsbi". There'll also be a teamspeak server at the same IP address and with the same password.

To check out where we're flying any evening, download FSHostSpy from http://www.chocolatesoftware.com/fshost/.

Cheers,
Greg

Hi Greg,

I took a look at FSHostSpy but did not see any possible server names for you guys.

What is the server name when you guys are on-line?

Regards,

TIM

Bob Reed
05-14-2007, 05:01 PM
Well the server is down right now and I am trying to find out why. To find it normally all you have to do is type http://71.163.49.235:81/ and if it is up you should see the info page. Will let you guys know what I find out.

NEVER MIND.... server is there no idea why I could not hit it...... The name of the server is WorldFlight USA In FSHostSpy.

Tim
05-14-2007, 06:39 PM
Found it.

Thanks Bob,

TIM