PDA

View Full Version : Which software for PFD/ND/EICAS?

Paul G
05-06-2007, 09:23 PM
Hi,

I've been building about a year and have a couple of computers to drive everything. I plan to have FSX on a single machine that will take care of visuals, and all the instrument on a separate machine, networked to the FSX machine.

Regarding glass cockpit instruments, there appears to be the following choices:

Project Magenta (expensive)
AST (quite expensive)
FSXPand (cheap)

My plan is to have FSXPand take care of the PFD and ND and just split the video signal between 2 monitors. But for EICAS are there any alternatives to PM and AST? I know FSXPand have capability to display some EI gauges, but not all systems by a long way.

Your advice and comments are most welcome.

Thanks

Paul

Michael Carter
05-06-2007, 11:40 PM
Well, I don't know if this would work for a glass airplane, but I experimented a bit with MS Panel Studio before I found out I cannot place monitors behind a Boeing 727 instrument panel. It looked promising, really. It would have worked too, if I could have placed monitors behind my MIP. I have too many indicators in the way for a monitor. I'll be using Flight Illusion guages instead.

You might want to try the same panel Studio thing with a glass cockpit setup. Gwyn has a 737 flight deck. Hopefully he'll chime here shortly and add some input. He's not using PM or any other high dollar software.

NicD
05-07-2007, 12:40 AM
There are some freeware EICAS ones around - beta versions. You can download one from the Open Cockpits site if I remember right.

Westozy
05-07-2007, 07:04 AM
Chime, chime,

The PMDG, 1 PC method - http://aerosimsolutions.googlepages.com/pcconfiguration

Chin, chin...

Paul G
05-07-2007, 12:50 PM
Thank you guys. These are more options than I had originally considered. I'll let you know what I decide and get some images posted.

Cheers

Paul

pmillerrusso
06-18-2007, 09:43 PM
I am planning to use the software from www.cockpitware.com (http://www.cockpitware.com) - right now its a free download for PDF / ND. It interfaces with IOCP and IOCARDS.

Bob Reed
06-18-2007, 09:57 PM
Hey Paul also remeber that if you are building a 737 there is not a lot to the ECIAS. Almost nothing on the second page (lower) and very little other then engins gauges on the main page.

JBaymore
06-18-2007, 10:02 PM
You can try FreeFD for the PFD and the ND displays. The price is right. ;)

If you can wait a bit.... check out Ellie Systems new payware offerings that will be out soon. Ellie Systems involves Don Lafontaine of FreeFD fame.

For another payware option, check out FSXpand.

I am currently using FreeFD for the PFD and ND and FSXpand for the EICAS.

best,

......................john

Bob Reed
06-18-2007, 10:11 PM
I do not think I am at liberty to give out prices yet, look around on the site they may be there but I think people will be VERY happy...