PDA

View Full Version : Attaching LCD screen to mip

paulj
05-04-2007, 08:33 AM
Hi guys,
I'm looking for some suggestions on how to attach my lcd screens to the mip.
The normal screen stand is too big and would protrude beyond the mip if I used it so I'm looking at directly attaching the lcd screen to the panel.
I've got a couple of ideas in my mind of creating a bracket of so sort but thought I would ask this here first.
cheers

Paul

Michael Carter
05-04-2007, 09:25 AM
Well, several ideas come to mind that I'm kicking about. I have only a small screen I'll be using for one instrument, but the ideas may work for larger screens as well.

The bracket idea you have is one I've thought about as well. Using the original instrument panel holes to mount the bracket in an 'X' design. Could be cut from aluminum or PVC II depending upon weight. Or just use two brackets straight up along the sides that the monitor will slide down into. Could use 'U' channel too of the correct width.

Another idea I may use for my small screen is 3M 77 spray adhesive. Possibly not enough strength for a full-size monitor, but would work well for a 5" TFT.

Then there is always Velcro with high strength adhesive backing. This stuff is surprizingly strong after the bond sets up. I've actually pulled plywood apart trying to remove adhesive backed Velcro strips.

Will you be removing the TFT from the framework or are you working with a fully assembled monitor?

paulj
05-04-2007, 09:37 AM
I think I will go with a fully assembled monitor.
I looked at removing the framework but I have all the setup buttons on the bottom of the frame not the front face,looks like a bit of trouble to remove the monitor from the frame.
Brackets straight up both sides sounds about right,although I had not considered velcro and that might be easier if it holds enough.
Will give it some more thought.
thanks
Paul

Michael Carter
05-04-2007, 10:11 AM
If you allow the bond to cure for 24 hours before using it you'll need pliers to remove it. It'll hold.

AndyT
05-04-2007, 01:55 PM
U channel with regular velcro should handle it no problem.

mauriceb
05-04-2007, 03:20 PM
Here is how I did it.
Maurice

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d38/mau_ben/P1010741.jpg

paulj
05-04-2007, 08:04 PM
Thanks Guys,
You have given me a couple of ideas.
This is the best FS forum around:;

Paul

Michael Carter
05-04-2007, 09:57 PM
We like to think so! :lol:

Prof Bill
05-05-2007, 08:13 AM
Hi Maurice,

I have just seen your LCD screen mounts!
Excellent!
I used exactly the same type of design in the multiple screen (5) Baron 58 and purchased the angle brackets (shelf brackets) in the local hardware store where they also sold the screw feet M6 thread that also had a black articulated ball foot at one end. This meant that I did not have to bend anything!
They sell all shapes and sizes which means it is easy to find what best suits your individual purpose!

Bill.

NicD
05-05-2007, 09:20 AM
Looks good Maurice - did you use steel for those, or are they aluminium? Hand bent/drilled ?

mauriceb
05-05-2007, 09:51 AM
Looks good Maurice - did you use steel for those, or are they aluminium? Hand bent/drilled ?

Hi Nic,
These are steel 90 degree shelf brackets from Home Depot (big hardware/lumber store for those who don't know Home Depot:) .
I decreased the angle in a vice with brute force and then drilled holes where necessary. I then used some furniture feet with a threaded rod and a nut on each side of the bracket so that I could adjust the pressure on the screens. Simple & super easy to install/remove LCD screen.

Maurice

mauriceb
05-05-2007, 09:55 AM
also had a black articulated ball foot at one end. This meant that I did not have to bend anything!
Bill.

That would be the best way to go if you can find articulated ball feet. I didn't so I did it the 'harder' way :-)

Maurice

Paul G
05-24-2007, 04:26 AM
I used elasticated cord to secure mine. Sounds crazy but it's incredibly strong and allows monitor to be easily removed while applying constant but safe pressure to the back of the monitor. I used two lengths for each monitor, creating a V shape on its side. Managed to stick the monitor cables through as well. I contemplated all kinds of solutions including shelves, as well as an LCD arm, but the elastic was by far the simplest and most effective. The cord cost me less than $5

By the way, because the monitor bezel creates a gap between screen and cutout, I used self-adhesive door edge insulation material to create a border on the inside. This bridges the gap making each cut out look like an independent screen, and reinforces the curvature of the cut-out. It also provides a nice soft surface to contact with the screen. Cost about $10.