PDA

View Full Version : Encoder trouble

BlackWidow
03-06-2007, 11:55 PM
Hello All

OK I have a various assortment of Rotary encoders and Pots. I have hooked each type to my phidgets and no matter which one i use (except for the 60mm sliders that i purchased with my 8/8/8 card ) As soon as I turn the roatry I either enable the USB phidget card or disable it.

For example turning the dial all the way to the left the computer makes the same sound as if I were to unplug the phidgets card USB cable and on the FS2Phidgets software the light turns red if I rotate the dial the opposite direction the computer make the same sound as if I plugged in the USB cable and the FS2Phidgets software shows Green. What am i doing wrong? I have tried wiring the encoder different and have tried every encoder/Pot I have and all of them do this except the slider that came with the 8/8/8 card.

Thanks

Michael

Bob Reed
03-07-2007, 12:12 AM
It is not hooked up right. I am not sure what to tell you. You need to find a tutorial and see what you are doing wrong.

BlackWidow
03-07-2007, 12:16 AM
I used the cable that came with the sliders it has three wires Black Red White. no matter where i place the (insert color here) wire I get the same result. on the phidgets card I simply plug in the cable and have striped the wires and place them on the encoder.

Bob Reed
03-07-2007, 12:19 AM
What are you wiring it to? Rotary encoders need electronics to work. It does not work like a pot. You are trying to hook them to where you hook the pots?

BlackWidow
03-07-2007, 12:26 AM
Bob Im not sure what you mean by "electronics to work". one type of rotary I am using says AB Type J (not sure what this means) and another I am using says CLAROSTAT on one side then on the other side it says LSC-805-6 Im sure theses probably mean nothing to you but jus tin case you know what they mean LOL. the second one i described when i frist hooked it up i saw the read out at 28 then it stoped in the FS2 Phidgets software.

Bob Reed
03-07-2007, 12:32 AM
Well I do not know a lot about Phidgets, but, they have a rotary encoder controller. You have to use a controller on rotary encoders. Encoders use voltage to track speed and direction and you need the controller to read that data. Here is one of there boards. http://www.trossenrobotics.com/store/p/3236-Phidget-Encoder-High-Speed.aspx

Bob Reed
03-07-2007, 12:35 AM
PLEASE!!!! Tell me I am reading this wrong. It is NOT $55.00 for the controller for 1 encoder??!!!!!!

BlackWidow
03-07-2007, 12:38 AM
WOW thats expensive AHHH i see what you mean by electronics. i guess i will be using sliders LOL

BlackWidow
03-07-2007, 12:39 AM
ARGHHHHH now when i try to go to configure to see the slider configure page i get a Runtime error 91. AHHHH SIM BUILDING LOL

Bob Reed
03-07-2007, 12:44 AM
Reboot the computer....

BlackWidow
03-07-2007, 12:48 AM
Will do (the sure fire method to any trouble shooting) LOL

BlackWidow
03-07-2007, 12:52 AM
Well the reboot did not do anything I still get a Error 91

BlackWidow
04-15-2007, 02:25 PM
Just need to update this post. I have just recently started with Phidgets agian after i have reworked my panel and have succesfully programed the FDS interfaceit software. I am now trying to get my sliders to work and I am still getting error code 91 I have unistalled all phidgets software and reinstalled I am runing 4.2.3 and even tried to upgrade to 4.2.9 but I cant get that to install (another issue im sure).

When I am at the Analog Input screen i try to assign the engine_1 Throttle Lever and i get the error code but if i assign the engine_1 Fuel Lever i can configure the slider with no problem. I can not configure the Prop Lever either. any ideas of what the problem is. Thanks

Matt Olieman
04-15-2007, 02:50 PM
Shortly after 4.2.9 was uploaded to the library, Alan discovered a bug and it was replaced with a corrected version. You may of downloaded the bug version before it was corrected. I don't know what the bug was, but just in case re-download it and see what happens.

BlackWidow
04-15-2007, 03:00 PM
Matt I used the download link on this forum to download the newer version i just downloaded it toaday not more than 40 min ago and i get the error is there another place to get it from maybe the one on this forum is still with the bug. Thank for the response.

Matt Olieman
04-15-2007, 03:07 PM
I screwed up... It was my job to replace it and I didn't do it right... OOPS!!! Please try it again, I hope that will work for you..

BlackWidow
04-15-2007, 03:14 PM
Thanks downloading it now

BlackWidow
04-15-2007, 03:24 PM
Ok not sure if I did something wrong so i downloaded the 4.2.9 another time and when i restarted the FS2Phidgets I saw at the top of the program that it still said 4.2.3 so i unistalled the program reinstalled the download and restarted FS2Phidgets and it still says version 4.2.3 is this what its supposed to say or have i done something wrong.