PDA

View Full Version : high power servomotors

fc747
07-12-2006, 12:09 AM
Hi!

I'm using an 747 200 throttle quadrant in my project, with the original autothrottle chain in place - I was hoping to use the 4servomotor card (using one channel) to control the movement - with my setup, there's just a single motor that drives the throttle shaft.

As the load here is much more than the hitec/etc motors can handle, I wanted to know if it is possible to use the 4servo card to drive a heavier motor (thru an amplifyer?) - I would really like to use the fs2Phidget software package here -

Please let me know if this is at all possible?

Thanks!

Farrokh Chothia.

mauriceb
07-20-2006, 09:53 AM
I would think that any servo could be attached to the Phidgets servo board. Since the power is not & must not be supplied by the controller even with the high power Hitec servos available here, I imagine that if you found a suitable servo that required a much higher voltage than the maximum 6V suggested for the Hitec, then I can't see why that wouldn't work. The control signal on the yellow or Orange lead is just that, a control signal. The power for the servo itself is supplied independently by an external power source.

I would think that the only concern you should have is whether the control signal coming from the servo controller gives the right pulses and pulses duration for the servo you want to use. The power for the servo itself is really not an issue.

Having said that, here is a disclaimer ;) . I am not an expert about servos by any means, but I have used them successfully in my homemade 737 throttle assembly. So, don't take my words as absolute truth, but since nobody else has answered, I thought I should give you my 2 cents :)

Regards,
Maurice

fc747
07-20-2006, 11:10 AM
Thanks Maurice -

Will give it a spin and report in the next few weeks - i guess the trick is to get the right servo.....

BTW, is the spoiler motor power cutout circuit your creation? - Haven't tried it, but sounds cool - hope to make it that far ahead -

And of course I won't be sending you the bill for the barbecue'd card...

C,

FC

mauriceb
07-20-2006, 02:17 PM
Thanks Maurice -

BTW, is the spoiler motor power cutout circuit your creation? - Haven't tried it, but sounds cool - hope to make it that far ahead -

And of course I won't be sending you the bill for the barbecue'd card...

C,
FC

I did post a circuit I designed to cut off the power to the servos, but I'm not sure which one you are talking about? I had a very early design which I refined later. My latest is located here if you are interested:
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d38/mau_ben/Servocircuit.jpg

By the way, no way you can fry the card it if you don't power the servo from the card output. but if frying happens, I'll send you my address shortly :D

Maurice