PDA

View Full Version : 2 questions about LED 64

Steve Daly
04-11-2005, 08:04 PM
I'm just starting planning of my simpit and have a couple of questions about the LED64...

Is it possible to drive more than one LED from the outputs?

What I am actually trying to do is setup some gear indicators which change colour, green when down/locked, red in transit and off when up. Each indicator has 2 LEDs, I could use as many as 12 outputs (2 Green EA and 2 Red EA) for this but it would be better to use only 6...2 reg or green LEDs per channel.

I know I could buffer the output, but it would be simpler if not needed.

2nd Question

Is there a "Lamp Test" facility built into the LED 64 or the software?

Wiring up the required diodes wouldn't be hard...just tedious. :)

Steve

fitchett
04-16-2005, 06:59 AM
You can make a small optimization by wiring the red/green pair into a common cathode, reducing the number of wires from 4 to 3. This still gives you the capability of turning both on at the same time. It's possible to build circuitry can drive two LEDs using two wires, using an H-bridge topology, but we did not use this on the LED-64.

Chester

JBaymore
04-16-2005, 08:57 AM
Hi Steve (SilverFox). Good to see you here too in addition to SimV.

Great question. It would be nice to have a "system test" available in the pit.... wiothout wiring all those diodes to the individual annunciators.

I'm looking forward to hearing if this is a function supported also.

best,

...................john

Steve Daly
04-16-2005, 07:10 PM
Hi John! :)

Thanks for the answer Chester. I guess I'll rig up some transistors as buffers to sink the required current for the LEDs. :)

The "Test" facility is probably something that we should ask be fitted into FS2Phidget...just designate a "test" switch and it drives the outputs of the LED64. Not hard to implement in the software after all.