PDA

View Full Version : Howdy from Altus

nrasch0402
02-06-2007, 04:43 PM
"Howdy" - the traditional Oklahoma greeting...

I have sort of been lurking around these forums for a few weeks. I think its high time I actually posted something.

I am an aspiring 737NG builder but am constrained by the fact I am active duty - Air Force and as of this monment, live on base. However, I have come to realize through all of your posts that i can "baby step" my way to a fully enclosed sim all the while having fun and continuing to fly.

I started my Air Force career in F-16 avionics and have been an avionics "geek" (an affectionate nickname, coined by one of my buddies) ever since

That said, I think my first purchase will be the FDS-NAV-B1 module, as it is plug and play...anyone have expierence with it they care to share?

Just out of curiosity, are there any US-based (preferably in the Texas-Oklahoma-Kansas-New Mexico-Arkansas or Atlanta area...) 737-NG simbuilders out there that would entertain a tour/mentoring session?

Trevor Hale
02-06-2007, 04:51 PM
Welcome to the Neighborhood

I am sure it will be quite a challange for you building a project on base. I think we all know what you mean when you mention Baby-Steps.
Most of us start out that way :) Good luck, and enjoy your stay here.

Best regards,

Trev

Bob Reed
02-06-2007, 05:04 PM
And another one bites the dust.... good to have you on board. I think the unit you are talking about is USB plug and play and I am sure it works fine. Baby steps is a very good approach! And keep it Small and portable while you are very mobile. There is a lot you can do to "build" your pit now. Like you are doing look at what you want, lots of research (and you might be in a relay good spot for that!) build a temp system with things like your radios in it, something small that sits on the desk or right beside you on the floor. And Keep knocking I think there are a few builders around you.

nrasch0402
02-06-2007, 09:11 PM
Thanks guys for the warm welcome...I am looking forward to taking fs from a simple hobby to an obsession

W9XE/Project777
02-06-2007, 10:04 PM
nrasch0402

Welcome to Mycockpit.org. We started Mycockpit.org aka IFSBI in November of 2005 to become a central gathering place of information for cockpit builders like yourself.

Over the pass few months we have been upgrading the site and still have a long way to go. Membership has doubled in the past 3 months. New to us is the Project Magenta forum which has been around FS since conception. There Usegroup data is being converted and transfered here.

Phidgets is another forum that's in the process of moving their forum. Hopefully in a few days you will see much more data from them. They build interface hardware for robotics but many of their items work for flight sim.

You will find more information on builders under the Builder Links page. we keep adding to the database as we go along. Just moved to our own HUGE server that is much faster and will help with expansions.

I have been by Altus a few times. If I remember it's around Oklahoma City. I live about 10 miles west of Whiteman AFB Missouri, home of the B-2. Probably have heard about here :rolleyes: I was in the USAF as a Flight Engineer on HH-1H Helicopters for 37th Aerospace Rescue and Recovery for many years. Job converted to civilian contract so got out and stayed here doing same until they removed the missiles out of Whiteman. Many retired in the area. Neighbor across the street is a B-2 pilot and a new neighbor next door is in Air Traffic Control. Hope to get some time in a B-2 sim some day. Once I get a good start on my B777 the odds may get better. Do have some time in a Level-D 737-500 and last year 777-200. 8)

Not sure who may be close to you. I know someone in the Dallas Tx area but many haven't filed out a detail location in there signature.

About US suppliers for sim parts. Well very little at this time but you never know. There are a few links in here you might find some of what you are looking for. As for the FDS Com/Nav board I did see it last year at IFC Denver. I think it may have went home with one of our members.

Welcome aboard, as as many questions as you would like. We will do our best in help guiding you to what your looking for. :D

nrasch0402
02-07-2007, 10:59 AM
Ahh yes, good ol' Whiteman. In my current job (JAG-Area Defense Counsel) I work quite closely with the Whiteman folks as we are in the same Judiciary Circuit.

Altus isn't too far from OKC. It's about 2 hrs from my driveway to the terminal at Will Rogers. I have quite a few connections in the aircrew side of the house here and have spent time myself in the C-17 [level d] and C-5 [level C++] (RIP - they are moving the Jumbo schoolhouse down to San Antonio) sims. If you ever get down here, let me know and Ill see what I can do to get you in to the sims here. I should let you know up front though that both Boeing and FlightSafety are big on security and require proof of citizenship (birth certificate, passport, etc...) but understandably so...