PDA

View Full Version : Autoland with PM 737

Hans Krohn
02-05-2007, 12:00 PM
Hi,

I upgraded my PM components to the latest versions.

Last night, trying to do an autoland at Gander, I saw for the first time a message in the PFD, saying something like "Single Channel...". When I pressed CMD-B nothing happend, i.e. I did not get the second AP and no "Autoland" message in the PFD (so I disconnected the AP and landed manually).

Can anyone tell me if there were changes in the MCP logic concerning autoland? If so, what changed exactly?

Thanks in advance for any hints.
Regards,
Hans

dcutugno
02-05-2007, 12:14 PM
For FULL autoland you will need to have both NAV1 and NAV2 on same ILS freq.

Bob Reed
02-05-2007, 12:18 PM
Hey Hans. Yes the CDU only autotunes Nav1. You have to tune Nav2 yourself and then you should be ok.

Hans Krohn
02-05-2007, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the quick answer!

I have read about this before....

But I must admit I never bothered, because sofar I got away with it! I had autoland without even touching the radios.

I'll try doing it right tonight. It seems like a safe assumpiton that the autotune function does NOT tune both Nav radios for an autoland, correct?

Hans

Hans Krohn
02-05-2007, 12:20 PM
Hi Bob,

our messages must have met in cyberspace! :cool:

Take care,
Hans

dornier
02-06-2007, 04:19 AM
Hi Hans and other users,

When talk about the Autoland, I encounter a few times of ILS signal loss at about 1 to 2 dme from localizer (very last moment). It was Autoland 3 by PM744. Then the A/P fail to Autoland and bank left and..........I take over the control and fly manually.

Don't know whether it is a PM issue or FS9 issue.

Moreover, is that PM doesn't actually perform the "FLARE and Rollout" in operation?

Alkit

Hans Krohn
02-06-2007, 04:52 AM
>> flare and rollout

I guess so. After all, I have done many successfull autolands in the 37!

Hans

Bob Reed
02-06-2007, 11:11 AM
Yes, Flare and roll out work in PM. There is something else going on if it is not working for you. I will ask you the same thing, are both NAV radios tuned to the ILS?

Peter Nielsen
02-08-2007, 10:13 AM
I think what PM are trying to emulate is a SINGLE/DUAL Autopilot Operation

Ie before we could activate both AP's at what ever Altitude and now one will have to follow the SINGLE AP down to 1500ft prior to engaging the DUAL AP for a full autolanding.

APP mode allows automatic engagement of other autopilot channels on an ILS LAND 3 approach. Single, dual or depending of a/c type triple autopilot operation is permitted.

Approach mode is used only where a full ILS localiser and glideslope is available. A single autopilot can operate only one stabiliser trim motor. Both trim motors are desireable on approach but particularly during an automatic go-around; otherwise pitch trim occurs at half speed. Boeing therefore designed the autopilot such that with an autopilot engaged selecting APP also armed the other autopilot(s) for automatic engagement at 1,500ft RA.

i found this link which details quite neatly the Auto Pilot SOP for a B757 but looks rather similar to the rest of the Boeing Family..

http://www.757.org.uk/sops/sop7.html

Peter

Hans Krohn
02-09-2007, 04:54 AM
Hi Peter,

thanks for the info and the source!

I tried some approaches last night and found out that the latest version of the PM suite really simulates all details of autoland as described in your post.

Turning the NAV2 manually and setting both course selectors to the runway heading did the trick for me. Even the automatic change from single ch to autoland at 1500 ft is there. Very nice!

Thanks again,
Hans

Tony
02-09-2007, 12:52 PM
Hi All,

Auto landing proves to be impossible now except with both NAVs set ?
But how do I do that without radios ?
I have autotune on, but the plane banks heavily approching the strip.....
In other words: What is the procedure for
"SINGLE CH display and handling implemented for 737 NG"

Tony

Hans Krohn
02-11-2007, 11:43 AM
Hi Tony,

Single channel means you will have to disengage the ap, usually latest at RA 100ft. In reality, it is often done earlier, say at 500ft.

About the ap initiating steep banks while trying to catch the localizer: Try setting up an approch where you have the plane aligned with the extended runway line at least 10 miles out. I have not yet seen an approach plate where the IAF is any closer than that to the TDZ!

Anyway, more distance will give the system enough time to stabilize.

If you want to do (or need to do) turns very close to the runway, better hand-fly the plane. (good luck with that :-)

Best regards,
Hans

Tony
02-12-2007, 03:54 AM
Thx Hans.

That is understood.

Going for some serious amount of practicing