PDA

View Full Version : Historical Data

Charlie Kilo
08-15-2017, 09:27 AM
Hi all,

For those who are restricted to flying later in the day or at night, when real world traffic is often less busy than during the day, flying with historical traffic may be a benefit.

I emailed Balthasar (the Realtraffic developer) today suggesting that even just a rolling 24 hours of saved historical data would allow people to fly with real traffic from any time over the past 24 hours, even if's actually the middle of the night.

He seemed very interested by the idea and said he'd look into it. No promises were made but hopefully we can look forward to seeing this feature at some point..

Cheers,

CK

kiek
08-15-2017, 01:59 PM
Hi CK,

Well i.m.o. you loose all the fun of flying in real time traffic. There is also no longer synchronisation with FlightRadar24 or FlightAware...

I don't think it will be possible for Balt to compose a stream for each individually (at the time you want). It has to be a compromise, like say 12 hours delay.

But we'll see.

Nico

Charlie Kilo
08-15-2017, 04:03 PM
Hi Nico,

I completely agree and when I can fly with real time traffic I do (and always will).

However, a lot of the time I'm restricted to flying at times of day that mean some areas of the world have little or no traffic (Heathrow after 10pm for example). Yes, I can fly in areas of the world which are busy at the time but that leaves a lot of areas never visited because there is never any traffic, which makes it even more unrealistic than having delayed traffic. There's no fun to real time traffic when there's none of it around!

Anyone living in the USA who wants to fly in Europe after getting home from work for example, or anyone here in the UK who wants to fly in the middle or far east.

Also worth consideration are those who decide to fly at a different time of day in the sim to the actual time wherever they are. One could argue that even though it is midnight and dark outside in reality, if you set your sim to midday, it is actually more realistic to have midday's traffic than just night time cargo flights in broad daylight.

I think such a feature would be a massive step in progressing both Realtraffic and PSXSeeconTraffic.

There's no reason why real time shouldn't be the advertised prime way of operating for maximum realism wherever possible.

Cheers,

CK

kiek
08-22-2017, 03:06 PM
Hi CK,
At the website of RealTraffic you will find a public beta 5.0.2 with historical data of the last 48 hours.!!
Please test it and tell Balt what you think.
Nico

Charlie Kilo
08-23-2017, 06:48 AM
Hi Nico,

I've been testing this for a few days, it looks pretty good! Not sure what thread to post in but I'll comment further in the tread you started.

Cheers,

Charlie