PDA

View Full Version : Enroute Traffic Depiction/Injection

vkupchyshyn
03-07-2017, 06:07 AM
Dear Nico,

First of all congratulations for such an amazing product and a huge thank you for your time and dedication in developing a program which pushes the immersion so much further!

I have one question which, I understand, might be more related to RT than to your program - but maybe you could enlighten me. When I am sitting on the ground in major airports, unless it is for crash detection reason, I can see almost each and every live plane in the vicinity (RT radar shows the same amount of planes on and around the airport as Flightradar).

But when I fly, only a few planes are depicted around me (more often behind me than ahead). When I check RT radar i see that this is indeed all the planes it is picking up (subject to lateral and vertical limitations that I set in the specific airplane). At the same time Flightradar is showing tens of additional planes around which are, for some reason, not depicted by RT and therefore not injected by PSXseecon Traffic into the sim. If the program is able to read ALL the traffic when on the ground, what is limiting depiction in the air?

Thanks again!

Kind regards,
Vlad

kiek
03-08-2017, 04:50 AM
Hi Vlad,

RealTraffic shows ADS_B traffic only. Maybe FR24 is ADS_B + MLAT?

Regards,
Nico

vkupchyshyn
03-08-2017, 05:13 AM
Hi Nico,

Thank you for your reply.

You might be right, as I don't quite know the difference between the two. But it seems improbable as when sitting on the ground you clearly see Real Traffic depicting all (or almost all) the traffic departing and arriving in sync with FR24. Moreover, when you take off you continue seeing all the traffic that you are following until they disappear when they get out of range. I even managed to follow a plane on the same route from EDDF to CYYZ and it was depicted all the time and only disappeared in the middle of the NAT in sync with FR24 but never reappeared when it reappeared on FR24 closer to Canadian cost. So they never reappear when they should be in range again and as said only few crossing/incoming traffic is depicted in flight on Real Traffic compared to FR24. So I don't think it's is a matter of transponder type.

Kind regads,
Vlad

bvanhout
07-08-2017, 08:51 AM
Hi Nico,

Firstly thanks for the great programme. What a difference it makes to P3D.
I think the problem I am experiencing is similar to Vlad.
The aircraft type and registration are seen and displayed on RT (this correlates with FR24), however the aircraft are not generated by PSXseecontraffic.
Secondly the aircraft that are displayed only appear in P3D inside of 10nm.
I am not sure if there are some things I need to set that I haven't.
Thanks again
Brian

kiek
07-08-2017, 09:00 AM
Secondly the aircraft that are displayed only appear in P3D inside of 10nm.

What do you mean, visually or at your TCAS?
Visually P3D may be right, but on your TCAS you should see live aircraft, depending on your user airplane, upto 60 nm.

(I assume you have set the lateral range in PSXseeconTraffic to a value greater then 10 nm...)

Regards,
Nico

kiek
07-08-2017, 09:02 AM
The aircraft type and registration are seen and displayed on RT (this correlates with FR24), however the aircraft are not generated by PSXseecontraffic.

Do your mean RealTraffic with RT? If so, if they are not generated by PSXseeconTraffic they maybe out of the range limits that you have set (laterally or vertically)....

bvanhout
07-08-2017, 09:11 AM
A/C are only displayed visually within 10nm, is this a P3D limitation.
The image shows the settings in PSXseecontrafic

http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12418&stc=1

kiek
07-08-2017, 09:35 AM
A/C are only displayed visually within 10nm, is this a P3D limitation.
Yes, it is.

Possible Pitfall: always press enter after you have filled in a new lateral range.. otherwise it does not become active.

bvanhout
07-09-2017, 09:07 AM
http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12419&stc=1
Nico,
In this image you can see there are 5 a/c within 15nm on RT, however the Dash 8 and CRJ2 are not tracked by PSXseecontraffic.
Regards
Brian

kiek
07-09-2017, 09:38 AM
They were skipped because they have no callsign as you can see in the RealTraffic window...

I might change that in the future..

Arjen ter Avest
07-10-2017, 12:46 PM
Would it be an option that if there is a match based on registration that it will be included, even if there is no callsign?

kiek
07-10-2017, 01:23 PM
Would it be an option that if there is a match based on registration that it will be included, even if there is no callsign?
That could be an option indeed, but it is technically difficult and relatively time consuming to implement and it needs extra administration.

In the past I called these guys UFOxyz's. However, arcraft with no callsign do not occur often. You will see a few when they start up at the ground, but a few minutes later the callsign is filled in. That's why I decided in the past to skip the UFO solution and just wait for the real callsign to appear...

Arjen ter Avest
07-10-2017, 03:35 PM
It indeed is a bit of administration, but very worthwhile in my opinion.

I have currently this in the log:

10859 Registration codes for a livery

Brian and myself are adding new airliners to my site daily.

Best regards,

Arjen

bvanhout
07-10-2017, 03:48 PM
I must agree with Arjen.
I would like to make an appeal for a version that uses this data, (dare I say it, even at some cost to the user. Possibly a lite version and an enhanced version). The current version works extremely well in the not so "technically challenged" areas of the globe, but many Flight Sim enthusiasts still like to fly in Africa, South America and Asia where all the modern facilities are not always available.

Regards
Brian

kiek
07-10-2017, 03:56 PM
I would like to make an appeal for a version that uses this data
Well registration based matching is already supported. Recognising UFO´s based on their registration would only bring Arjens hit rate from 97% to 98% i.m.o. Is that worth while?

bvanhout
07-10-2017, 04:13 PM
Ok, now I am getting confused. Yesterday I showed added image where the registration was known in Real Traffic because the aircraft type was shown, but it wasn't displayed by PSXseecontraffic because there was no callsign. If the registration or even just the aircraft type is known then is it not possible for PSXseecontraffic to generate it in flight simulator, albeit not in the correct livery.

Cheers
Brian

kiek
07-10-2017, 04:27 PM
If the registration or even just the aircraft type is known then is it not possible for PSXseecontraffic to generate it in flight simulator, albeit not in the correct livery.
? I cannot follow your logic ... I'm sorry.

Let me summarize:
If the registration is known then PSXseeconTraffic will match the livery based on the registration code, and if the registration is not known or the registration is empty, it will take step 2 which is matching based on airline+type, and so on, see Chapter 1 in the Manual...

However, this whole process only takes place if the callsign is NOT empty. *)
An empty callsign occurs seldomly, so you only might miss a few aircraft (that's where my 97 to 98 is based upon).

Believe me, if it was easy to implement, it would be in tomorrow morning ;-)

*) This has to do with how PSXseeconTraffic works internally and is not easy to explain in a few words, I'm afraid.

Cheers,
Nico

bvanhout
07-10-2017, 04:50 PM
I think we are talking at cross purposes here.
I have studied the manual in depth to try and figure out why some aircraft are not being displayed on my P3D.
I fully understand this is complex, and take my hat off to you for the development of this great programme.
I suppose as a typical flightsimmer, I want more.............

All I can base my comments on is what I have observed with Real Traffic and PSXseecontraffic.
Lets forget about matching livery to a/c registration for now.
If the aircraft type is known, would it be possible to generate that aircraft in PSXseecontraffic, regardless of whether it is the correct airline or not.

BTW, In the areas I fly in more than 50% of aircraft, and I mean airliners, do not have callsigns on FR24 and Real Traffic.

Regards
Brian

kiek
07-10-2017, 05:22 PM
BTW, In the areas I fly in more than 50% of aircraft, and I mean airliners, do not have callsigns on FR24 and Real Traffic.

I see ...

Well I can bring back the UFO option. If selected, the "Callsign not empty" restriction will be lifted and the aircraft will follow the normal matching process, so it can be matched upon registration, or -if not succesful- on type, or a default type will be matched. This all with a callsign UFO<sequence number> (I need a callsign in order to create a livery in P3D).

The drawback of this will be in the more enhanced areas such as EHAM. There you may see some UFO callsigns (even with correct liveries if registration was known) but without the possibility to rename these UFO callsigns to the real callsigns that become available in the RealTraffic stream a few minutes later. So you would see a KLM B744 with callsign UFO32 instead of callsign KLM887.

But that's what you deliberately choose for if you would select this new option. So you could use that in "your areas" while if you are flying at Heathrow or EHAM you better do not select the option.

Does that sound attractive to you?

Cheers,
Nico

bvanhout
07-10-2017, 08:48 PM
Thanks Nico,

That sounds like a great option around this until all areas come on line with regard to ADS-B.
So if I was in Europe I could use the existing product and in Africa the UFO version.
If you require a beta tester I am willing to help in this regard.
Thank you for your trouble.

Cheers
Brian

kiek
07-11-2017, 01:13 AM
Hi Brian,
It will be a checkbox, no separate version. You can switch dynamically.

However, after one night sleep I think I can even make it without a checkbox. If there is no callsign I generate an UFO version immediately and if and when callsign information comes available I will either just update the callsign in case the livery was good already (matched based on registry) or I delete the UFO version and generate a new version based on the callsign

Arjen ter Avest
07-11-2017, 03:39 AM
Very nice. As well, I suppose the 30 second 'settlement period' would already fill in some missing callsigns?

kiek
07-11-2017, 06:54 AM
Very nice. As well, I suppose the 30 second 'settlement period' would already fill in some missing callsigns?
No, from my experience it may take a few minutes, and sometimes more than half an hour. Presumably these pilots switch on their transponder at the gate during the start-up procedure, and the callsign comes later...

The advantage of my new (UFO) method will be that you will see some aircraft at the gates a lot sooner, and in the right livery if you have the registration code available.

bvanhout
07-11-2017, 01:06 PM
This sounds great, Thank you Nico.

bvanhout
07-11-2017, 01:12 PM
Nico/Arjen,
As a matter of interest, this is snapshot taken over South Africa at around 17:00UTC tonight.
Only one aircraft had a callsign, but all aircraft's registrations were available on FR24.
http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12421&stc=1

kiek
07-12-2017, 03:11 PM
Hello Brian,
You will receive, via Arjen, a beta version of 6.2 with the required/wished functionality

Could you test it for me, please?

Thx,
Nico

bvanhout
07-12-2017, 03:17 PM
Thank you Nico, will do.

kiek
07-16-2017, 01:33 PM
Hi guys,
Official version 6.2 has been released!
Have fun!
Nico