PDA

View Full Version : For the Airbus Experts: FCU LCD digit colors -- white, off-white, or yellow?

OmniAtlas
06-10-2015, 11:30 AM
I did not manage to take a look at an active (powered) FCU when I was in the cockpit of a real A330.

Does anyone know what are the colors of the LCD digits on the FCU? On all the videos I see on You Tube, they are yellow color -- I am not too sure if this is an aberration due to the back lighting.

The LCD digits on the Flight Deck Solution FCU is white.

Can someone with familiarity with the FCU confirm the correct colors?

Thank you,

Ben

Swiss1673
06-10-2015, 02:41 PM
Also never saw the real thing.... but youtube gives you probably a good answer :-)

https://youtu.be/yKH7umFRtjI?t=35s

Cheers
Daniel

PS. I have the CPFlight FCU and I guess its the most realistic one.

dodiano
06-10-2015, 08:02 PM
I am an A320 captain and they are not leds! It Is a display kind of what you see on calculators and is backlit it is a reddish or bluish display and the lettering appears like white.

Regards

OmniAtlas
06-10-2015, 08:20 PM
I am an A320 captain and they are not leds! It Is a display kind of what you see on calculators and is backlit it is a reddish or bluish display and the lettering appears like white.

Regards

Thank you for clearing that up Captain Dodiano! It seems like the display colors are misrepresented on all the video I see on YouTube!

Swiss1673 - colors on the videos are not representive in real life.

FDS produced a white color FCU display; I am not too sure about the other vendors.

sstusek
06-11-2015, 03:38 AM
Hi,

In all the videos and photos you can see yellow FCU digits (or any other LCD displays) but that is auto white balance daylight setting on cameras. Color temperature coming from light bulbs and "wrong" white balance setting is what causes a yellow looking digits on cockpit photos.

All the liquid crystal displays (LCD) in cockpits are so-called “negative” liquid crystal displays, where the background is dark and the digits are light. LCD`s are backlit with white or bluish light bulbs. It is true that when regulating incandescent bulbs brightness, light goes from no light through slightly yellow but at higher and max voltage they are white.
Like Dodiano said, FCU and all other digits should be kinda white with a slight tint of ... your favourite color :)

Regards

OmniAtlas
06-11-2015, 10:45 PM
Hi Simon, it seems you are correct :)

Here are some shots of an FDS trainer with white color readouts -- from different exposures and lighting it seems you either see 'white', or 'yellow'.

http://www.flightdecksolutions.com/gallery/A320/

OmniAtlas
06-13-2015, 09:01 AM

Regards

Hello Captain Dodiano,

Am I correct to assume that the displays seen on the pedestal (radio panels, transponder, rudder trim) and on the overhead (battery indicators, radio) are also white in lettering?

Thank you,

Ben

Jetcos
06-29-2015, 10:40 PM
Some FDS FBPT's have our FCU and some have CPFlight FCU's. This may explain the differences in colors. Customers already have the CPFlight so we install them. All up to the customer and their Avionics Software choice.

OmniAtlas
06-30-2015, 04:40 AM
Thanks for clearing that up Steve, regards.