PDA

View Full Version : Throttle cockpit hardware questions

fudspong
07-06-2014, 03:07 AM
Hi everybody!

I'm new to hardware cockpits but have been around flight simming for a while. For reasons best left unsaid I've decided to build a hardware cockpit, and if it is successful convert it to a motion platform. I've just ordered a Bodnar board and some Hall effect sensors, have a Universal Joint from a car driveshaft waiting to arrive from eBay. I have some questions though.

I plan to make a combined helicopter/fixed wing cockpit, including joystick, pedals, collective/throttle quadrant. Wood and metal working at a hobbyist DIY level is not a problem. My question to you experienced cockpit makers, is how do you make hardware controls such as throttle levers without friction at a low cost? My problem is that I don't know the right keywords to google, all I seem to get are plumbing supplies (!)

Do you just use a bolt and a couple of washers and accept friction as part of the experience, do you use miniature ball-races and weld them onto a shaft? Is there something I'm missing?

Trollgaard
11-25-2014, 02:11 PM
I have just started planning my own Throttlequadrant and trimbox and trying to figure out the best way to get a controlable friction on the levers. Not really sure what you mean, but I am quite positive there will always be some friction on a quadrant. If not, the levers would fall back to the lowest point by them selves. like the throttle on my F.L.Y stick does now.