PDA

View Full Version : Frame Rates

Irinside
05-05-2014, 02:56 PM
Hi Jean Luc

I am really sorry to bring this to you again, I seem to be the only one having a problem, I know you are busy and you have replied to this before.
I have a powerful network of i7 and i5 Pc's
They have loads of memory. 16GB, 12GB and 8GB.
Good Graphics cards with up to date drivers.
I have a SKALARKI Cockpit with all hardware and software.
Windows is up to date
Jeehell is up to date
Skalarki is up to date
All Drivers are up to date
Nothing is installed twice
There are no windows overlapping

When I start FSX my Frame rates are 60 -80 at High settings and 350 - 500 at low settings
When I start Jeehell they drop to 3 - 12 on High Settings and 9 - 12 on low settings
When I turn it off my Frame rates go instantly back to high numbers

I am either very stupid or very unlucky, both Marcin and I have tried all we know to correct this and failed

If there is any glimmer of hope you can give me I would be most grateful, I am ready to give up!

Would using P3D make a difference? Should I check my Power Supply?

Thank you so much for your time

Philip

SSO
05-05-2014, 05:54 PM
Not an expert (yet)... But some questions...
What are you running on what PC's?
What Anti alias do you use in the instruments?
What software besides FSX and FMGS do you have running?

OmniAtlas
05-05-2014, 08:53 PM
I find the standby instruments for some reason really drive down the framerate.

We should really be running all FMGS panels separately from your FSX/P3D workstation...I run everything on one computer (for now).

Irinside
05-06-2014, 03:19 PM
Not an expert (yet)... But some questions...
What are you running on what PC's?
What Anti alias do you use in the instruments?
What software besides FSX and FMGS do you have running?

Thank you for your reply, please see next post

Philip

Irinside
05-06-2014, 03:26 PM
I find the standby instruments for some reason really drive down the framerate.

We should really be running all FMGS panels separately from your FSX/P3D workstation...I run everything on one computer (for now).

Hi OmniAtlas.... YOU ARE THE MAN !!!!!!

If you were closer than Oz I would buy you a Beer!
Standby Instruments were the problem all this time!
Re-installed Jeehell S/B Instruments on another PC which freed up the Server and BINGO! Frame Rates running 30+

Thank you so much,

Kind regards from Ireland

Philip

OmniAtlas
05-06-2014, 07:27 PM
Good to hear :) I am going to try and tune down my AA and see if that helps next.

SSO
05-07-2014, 01:22 AM
interesting - I dont run the stand-by and FO instruments to reduce load

jeehell
05-07-2014, 04:57 AM
Hi,

Interesting indeed the STBY do cause such a hit on the FPS. I will look at it.
By the way, I think I already mentionned that in previous topics, but the preferred FPS setting is fixed at 30fps. Not above, not below. This allow a smooth visual and importantly a smooth data acquisition from the simulator.

Regards,
JL

bobsta63
05-07-2014, 07:28 AM
but the preferred FPS setting is fixed at 30fps. Not above, not below. This allow a smooth visual and importantly a smooth data acquisition from the simulator.

Even if we are running all the displays on a dedicated remote PC JL? - I'm assuming so given the 'smooth data acquisition' but just wanted to double check as otherwise I will reconfigure my main FSX machine?

Cheers,
Bobby

jeehell
05-07-2014, 01:13 PM
Hi,

If you have a dedicated visual PC (using wideview for instance), the visual PC is not limited in FPS.
However the main PC should still be limited to 30fps

bobsta63
05-07-2014, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the confirmation JL :)

Does it matter if you limit the FPS from FSX or an external tool such as an external FPSLimiter like nVidia Inspector? - I'm assuming this would ONLY work in FSX for the data acquisition?

Cheers,
Bobby

jeehell
05-07-2014, 06:03 PM
I have no idea how the third party FPS limiters work. I think the FSX built in limiter will work better as it limits the simulation FPS as well as the visual FPS.

JL

bobsta63
05-07-2014, 06:28 PM
I have no idea how the third party FPS limiters work. I think the FSX built in limiter will work better as it limits the simulation FPS as well as the visual FPS.

JL

Yeah I thought that was the case (External apps probably only limit the visual FPS) :)

Cheers JL,

Bobby

jeehell
05-09-2014, 11:31 AM
Hi,

Some users have been doing tests.
Apparently, the best scenario is limiting the FPS using FS internal limiter to a value which proves to be constant throughout your flight.
Using external limiters is not useful at all.

I still recommend FPS between 30 and 40, which will keep a smooth display, and free some CPU for the rest of the software.

JL

bobsta63
05-09-2014, 12:01 PM
Thanks for the clarification JL... I'll stick with the internal FSX limiter then :)

wkrp2012
05-09-2014, 04:56 PM
In case you haven't seen them, NickN has compiled a great deal of info on FSX "tweeks" (or non-tweeks) that improve performance. Well worth the read and implementation.

See:
http://www.simforums.com/forums/the-fsx-computer-system-the-bible-by-nickn_topic46211.html

and

Nvidia Inspector:
http://www.simforums.com/forums/drivers-nv-inspector-fsxcfg-complete-guide_topic36586.html