PDA

View Full Version : Jeehel compared to Project Magenta

brianwilliamson
03-29-2014, 12:34 AM
Well I have just about everything installed andworking, as far as JL. has programmed .
Have installed the Open Cockpit radios just usingIOCModules at this stage as I will work on getting the communications going with Radar Contact etc. Have the Trim Wheel working ok with IOC Modules as well.

All overhead are now working and lit up correctly.Running all this on just 3 computers. The 3rd one is just for the RMCDU only,but will use Radar Contact on that one as well. I am using FDS InterfaceITcards for most buttons and leds, as well as a couple of Bodnar cards, The FCU is CPFlight, the MCDU's are FDS,the radios are Open Cockpit.The rest is all home made.

What a pleasure to start up Jeehell's software. It all works so simply (except for a couple of dumb mistakes I made !!). A big surprise, for me at least, that even the toe brakes are 10 times better than PM. All the controls are simple to install and work perfectly.
The best thing is that it works reliably everytime, no stoppages, no lock-ups, no spending weeks and months figuring out what has gone wrong and why, and the service when you have a problem is better than any software that I have ever seen, as well as not having the excuse that "there is something wrong with your system" having been thrown at you when you complain to the software provider that something is not working. Well I spent 13 years trying to get Magenta to work, but no more !!

I could go on, but to summarise in comparison toProgram Magenta: The difference is that one should be free and the otherpayware, as I believe some others have already stated.

For those that are using PM, I would not hesitate in recommending a change over to Jeehell's software.

Again many thanks to JL for all the effort and time he has put into this software and I have to say that he has spent a lot of time getting it as real as it can go, considering some of the limitations of FSX. I am looking forward to many enjoyable hours, flying the aeroplane for a change !

Regards…………….Brian W

GodAtum
03-29-2014, 10:30 AM
wow amazing, what hardware and visuals do you use? cockpitsonic or FDS?

brianwilliamson
03-31-2014, 01:58 AM
Using FDS InterfaceIT cards and Bodnar cards, the visuals are 3 Benq 811 ST projectors.

Just plugged the clock in on the MIP and works perfectly.

Regards........................Brian W.

OmniAtlas
03-31-2014, 03:13 AM
Hi Brian, amazing shots. Again, you don't mind if we use this on the FMGS website?

Cheers!

P.S. wish I had a chance to visit your Sim while I was in Brisbane. Lots of simmers in that region :)

GodAtum
03-31-2014, 06:53 AM
Using FDS InterfaceIT cards and Bodnar cards, the visuals are 3 Benq 811 ST projectors.

Just plugged the clock in on the MIP and works perfectly.

Regards........................Brian W.

Amazing! What are the dimensions of your simulator? I'm struggling to find a suitable room. I have a 2.3m high cieling but I think I need 3m for the 180 projection screen? I think I need at least 5m x 5m space?

Barrykensett
04-01-2014, 05:38 AM
Brian
Really valuable work and comments from you. As you know I have been trying the software with a lot of success on a laptop. I have problems when it comes to moving onto the cockpit in that I use FDT Simboards for many of the interfaces. I have found that these don't work with Win 7 (I am changing all the PC's over from XP) and they are not in the Jeehell list of supported software. It looks as though I will have to consider changing those interface boards with the resultant expense but also time. Just one point, what interface do you use for encoders as FDS Sys boards don't deal with them? (This was an advantage with Simboards).
Barry
www.a320sim.com (http://www.a320sim.com)

OmniAtlas
04-01-2014, 07:14 AM
Amazing! What are the dimensions of your simulator? I'm struggling to find a suitable room. I have a 2.3m high cieling but I think I need 3m for the 180 projection screen? I think I need at least 5m x 5m space?

Check this website out -- http://b737home.blogspot.com.au/

Not an airbus build, but they managed to fit it in a ~ 320x160 cm size room. They are only using 2 projectors (W1080ST).

Barrykensett
04-01-2014, 12:39 PM
I moved from projectors to large screens. One result is taking up much less space, something to consider. Although I only use two 47" screens so far I have provision for another two at the side to get 180 degrees. Probably next winter's project.
Barry
www.a320sim.com

GodAtum
04-01-2014, 02:07 PM
I moved from projectors to large screens. One result is taking up much less space, something to consider. Although I only use two 47" screens so far I have provision for another two at the side to get 180 degrees. Probably next winter's project.
Barry

I would have thought screens are more expensive and have less immersion because of the bezels?

brianwilliamson
04-01-2014, 04:54 PM
Barry, I do not have any encoders except the ones on the FCU and the RMP's which are integrated. I have not tried this, but the Bodnar cards will handle encoders.

I had the whole suite of FDT cards originally, but sent them back. Too many problems. It may pay to stick to XP just for the FDT boards on one computer. Just a thought.

The change to JL's software is nothing short of brilliant ! It has so much more than Magenta that I will now need to do some more wiring.

Hope you can change over, as I am sure you will enjoy the results.

Regards.......................Brian W.

Barrykensett
04-01-2014, 05:00 PM
Price of large screens is coming down all the time, I can get a 47" for about the same price as a projector. I got thin bezels and I could get them even less obtrusive if I overlapped them. The main thing I have done is to use two for the forward views, most people use three which is OK for a single seat but not for a two seat cockpit. I set the eyepoint slightly different depending on which seat the aircraft is being flown from so I get a good view of the centreline. You can see the pilots view on my website, the last shot under the displays heading. Most of those shots are old ones with projectors. The bezels are behind the screen pillar of course but because the slope of the screens is not the same as the windows they are visible under some conditions. I minimise the bezel effect by a triangle of mirror which reflects the adjacent colours so blue sky looks fairly continuous. I have been using projectors for about six years, I changed because I don't have the width to get side views but I can with screens. Other advantages I found was that the colour mismatch due to asymmetric ageing of bulbs is corrected, also the alignment is much easier and the sharpness is orders better. I am not anti projector but screens suit my situation better. By the way you cannot do what I have done with Nvidia cards, it can only be done with ATI. I need to update the pictures on the website to show the current status.
Barry
www.a320sim.com

Barrykensett
04-01-2014, 05:03 PM
Brian
Yes I can stay with XP on one PC but I doubt JL would find it reasonable to develop his software to interface with them, I may be the only user.
Barry

GodAtum
04-02-2014, 05:03 AM
Price of large screens is coming down all the time, I can get a 47" for about the same price as a projector. I got thin bezels and I could get them even less obtrusive if I overlapped them. The main thing I have done is to use two for the forward views, most people use three which is OK for a single seat but not for a two seat cockpit. I set the eyepoint slightly different depending on which seat the aircraft is being flown from so I get a good view of the centreline. You can see the pilots view on my website, the last shot under the displays heading. Most of those shots are old ones with projectors. The bezels are behind the screen pillar of course but because the slope of the screens is not the same as the windows they are visible under some conditions. I minimise the bezel effect by a triangle of mirror which reflects the adjacent colours so blue sky looks fairly continuous. I have been using projectors for about six years, I changed because I don't have the width to get side views but I can with screens. Other advantages I found was that the colour mismatch due to asymmetric ageing of bulbs is corrected, also the alignment is much easier and the sharpness is orders better. I am not anti projector but screens suit my situation better. By the way you cannot do what I have done with Nvidia cards, it can only be done with ATI. I need to update the pictures on the website to show the current status.
Barry

Ah OK, I'm not familiar with projectors but I didnt know they where that bad! Having a large screen close to you is OK? Do you use plasma or LCD? Is your setup similar to this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBeYKoxpETg

OmniAtlas
04-02-2014, 05:56 AM
I personally prefer projectors because there are no bezels. You can setup a 180 degree wrap with 2x short throw w1080st projectors now.

Barrykensett
04-02-2014, 09:33 AM
I use LCD screens, not setup like the 737 above where the pilot has the bezels in front of him.

My view from the pilot's seat is like this, note no bezels visible.

And from the centreline

If however I lean forward and peer behind the screen pillar I can see the top half of the bezels.
If I pulled the sides of the screen back any further it would not be good on the eyes, I slid them back and forth to get an acceptable position.

I could not use the projector setup above as I don't have room over the overhead. I used back projection onto the screen.

Barry