PDA

View Full Version : Hardware build recommendation

OmniAtlas
03-19-2014, 10:48 PM
I'm planning to build a cheap brand new computer to run all the display outputs for Jehell FMGS.

That would include - 3x LCDs (PFD/ND - captain and FO side, EICAM, SD) and 2x CDU.

I will plan on adding an additional graphics card; but in the mean time, would this AMD APU be sufficient?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113283

It is the AMD A4-5300 and has a combined CPU+GPU built in. And its cheap!

Westozy
03-20-2014, 01:23 AM
Hi Ben, my own flight sim equipment philosophy especially with regard to your simulator's brain - re software, PCs and graphics. (Adopted from some good advice from Peter Cos by the way!) Work out your minimum requirements then buy three times better than what you need so you will have a few years of decent frame rates ahead of you. In other words, save where you can but don't skimp on the engine!!
Cheers Gwyn

OmniAtlas
03-20-2014, 01:40 AM
Hi Gwyn,

I'm running on a 2500k intel with a 660TI OC on the main P3D computer (the 'visuals')
I've successfully run Jeehells FMGS on my 4 year old Macbook Air without any slowdowns -- I don't really think it is very processor/video card hungry.

I am unfamiliar with the new AMD APU and was wondering if they would be suitable? I could of course go with something with a little bit more power, but I would rather spend that money on other flight sim hardware :)