PDA

View Full Version : Hacking old laptops

TRenner
03-13-2014, 12:48 AM
I'm sure some already know this, but an old laptop can have the screen removed. Mine is 10" by 8", and about 3/8" thick, which would be handy for making glass cockpits. And the screen is actually transparent. You can use a projector lens to project it onto the wall. And the backscreen can be used for backlighting the flight panel. Especially the 10" long LED.

I'm experimenting with seeing if a HUD can be made.

And this thing is extremely fragile. It wouldn't hurt to take a night school course on open heart surgery first.

I don't know how to upload the photos. Could I maybe email them to someone. And I've spent over half an hour trying to type this, with the program fighting me all the way. I finally used wordpad, with cut and past. What is that all about?

Happy hacking!
Terry

Shawn
03-14-2014, 01:30 PM
If you get it figured out I would be interested in seeing some of the photos. I have an old laptop that I would be interested in using the screen from if it's not that complicated to get it working.

Shawn

TRenner
03-15-2014, 08:23 PM
Hi Shawn. I've been trying to find out how to send pictures, but no luck. I would suggest first trying to dismantle some old Monitors. I've been finding them for as cheap as $2. You will know it didn't work when you see white lines streaming across the screen. Take one completely apart, and you will find more useful stuff. I apply 5v to light up the 10" LCD

benkog
05-08-2014, 09:35 AM
Hello Guys!
This idea (hacking old laptop) is very good, I think about this, but one of my friend has some word of advice: better to build from an old monitor, because an LCD monitor has all control circuits and panels, but in laptops these circuits are integrated on mainboard.....

BenkoG

TRenner
05-10-2014, 12:09 AM
I have just assumed that the screen on the laptop needed the video connector on the side of the keyboard. I have two dismantled ones in front of me. I will play around with one a bit

benkog
05-12-2014, 06:52 AM
I have just assumed that the screen on the laptop needed the video connector on the side of the keyboard. I have two dismantled ones in front of me. I will play around with one a bit

Hello TRenner,

As I mentioned, the monitor have VGA input, but the notebook display only have video signal input. So if you want to use the notebook display, MUST to have to build a video controller, whose output connect your notebook display. Not an insurmountable task, but it's easier to use an exploded monitor (only dismantling the plastic cover).
I think to build glass cockpit too.

BenkoG

jackwall
05-12-2014, 08:08 AM
I found the same issue with the old laptop screen ... great idea until you get to the signal lines and then it's more of a challenge ....

I settled on some eBay 10" monitors myself in the end!

Another alternative [I am spitballing here now !] might be FSWide and use the old laptop in it's full state to display undocked G1000 windows ?....

maybe even working out how to 180 the display ?

benkog
06-10-2014, 07:20 AM
Hi Guys, how are You? How are your projects?

BenkoG

Xpendable
09-22-2014, 12:38 PM
A good place to check for used LCD monitors in the US is Goodwill or a Salvation Army Store. I've purchased 3 or 4 LCD's for as little as $5 a piece and at most $11. Keep in mind that you probably won't find any 16:9 LCD's and most of the LCD's will be 17" or smaller. That's been my experience, anyway.