PDA

View Full Version : Connecting network

Barrykensett
02-11-2014, 04:25 PM
I have successfully got the FMGS software package working on one PC, I have programmed the MCDU and carried out flights and it all works fine. I have now been trying to get some gauges working on another PC. For basic setup I have static IP's on both PC's. They are both on the same network. The master is W7, the slave is XP. I have shared the FMGS folder on both PC's although not sure if this is necessary. I have run WideFS across both PC's, not that I think I need it but it is telling me that two way connection across both PC's is working.
I have modified the widefmgs.ini as described in the advanced user guide giving it the IP of the FS PC.
I first left the .ini file in the widefmgs folder as I thought it needed to be with the application so it sits in c:\FMGS\widefmgs folder but a post in this forum says
"you need to put the network.cfg in c:\FMGS and not in C:\FMGS\PFD!"
Could I have confirmation of which is correct?
Anyway having tried it both ways I am still not connecting to the server.
Should I run the starter and hence the full software package on the slave PC noting that it starts another server?
Or can I start the widefmgs.exe and then run the .exe files of the gauges I want to run.
I think I need to know which of the files in the software setup I need to run on the slave PC. I have tried many combinations but no success, I just get error messages "Not connected to FMGS server" or "not connected to Flight simulator".
I cannot find this detailed setup info in the manuals or the forum, if I have missed something can you please give me a hint?
Barry

Stephan Schwarz
02-12-2014, 07:30 AM
I am at work currently and do not have my cockpit in front of me, but I see some errors in your setup:

As you already assumed, sharing the folders or using WideFS is not required. You need the WIDEFMGS Server running on you main PC and the WIDEFMGS Client on the client PC.

Furthermore you have to edit the starter.ini files on both. You can edit the INI file with "yes" and "no" to choose the modules you want to have started on each PC.

If you have the FMGS Server and Client running, and the connection is still not possible, you should check the IP address again. As far as I remember you only have to edit this file on the clients, not on the server PC.

Maybe it helps for now?

Regards,
Stephan

jeehell
02-12-2014, 11:29 AM
Hi Barry,

Your main issue is that you installed the Server on the client. As stated on the forum,you must not install the server on the clients,otherwise it messes up the installation.
So I suggest you uninstall then reinstall the FMGS soft on the client.
A very good practice is to install only the components you need on that precise computer. Maybe the wideFMGS client was not installed, only the server one, I dont remember the installer behaviour...

It seems you dug out the threads very old posts :-) the network.cfg file has been obsolete for quite some time now. Is it still in my documentation somewhere??

Only widefmgs.ini is required in widefmgs folder.

The starter is configured (starter.ini file to be accurate) according to what is installed. So on a server install it launches wideFMGSserver.exe whereas on clients it'll start wideFMGS.exe.
If you don't want to use starter, you have to be careful with what you launch. But I recommend the starter.

Regards,
JL

Barrykensett
02-13-2014, 05:32 PM
OK got it working fine. Slight confusion in that I could find a wideFMGSserver program but not a wideFMGSclient program however I now see that widefmgs is started using the starter.ini so presumably the program is part of the starter.
My quote regarding network.cfg was indeed from a very old post (Thread network setup 08-07-11). Before contacting for help I searched the whole forum posts looking for clues.
So flying OK across two PC's, next step is to see if I can interface using my existing hardware.
Barry
www,a320sim.com

jeehell
02-13-2014, 06:23 PM
Ok good to hear. Keep us posted. If you have some questions regarding interfacing do not hesitate.

Regards,
JL

Captain777/300
08-14-2015, 08:44 AM
hi

from where get WIDEFMGS Client the FMGS software found WIDEFMGS Server only . and I need IP address the correct I have IP 191.168.1.1 for server

thanks
Zohair