PDA

View Full Version : suggestions for vertual instument software please...Cessna 172 GA steam

roxiedog13
09-20-2013, 10:20 AM
I have the computer, triple screens with matrox, aircraft controls, complete go-flight panels, radios, throttle, switches etc.

All I need now is a way to display the instruments for now and I figured the best way would be something like Project Magenta software.
I've been away from the whole scene for 1.5 yrs so I figured some new options must be available.

Suggestions, pros and cons welcome .

I figure one 20 inch wide screen display would work, but have a few square 2) 19" and 1) 15" as well that could work. Once I get it working
I would consider enclosed cockpit and a motion platform later.:D

Brodhaq
09-20-2013, 10:38 AM
What about connecting the 19" panel to your PC and just placing some gauges on it? You dont need project magenta, there are plenty of great GA gauges available for FSX (for example Flightline T - Reality XP Simulation (http://www.reality-xp.com/flightsim/flt/index.html) or Flightline N - Reality XP Simulation (http://www.reality-xp.com/flightsim/fln/index.html))

Pavel

BuildABoeing
09-20-2013, 11:28 AM
Or how about making your own gauges DIY-style. Should be around $20 each.

roxiedog13
09-20-2013, 12:29 PM
Or how about making your own gauges DIY-style. Should be around $20 each.

Please do tell more. $20 per gauge is cheap but how much work to build the same is required? I figure I will need 10- 3" steam gauges plus the fuel, amp,flap,clock and compass.

mach7
09-20-2013, 01:03 PM
There are a number of endless gauges out there from add-on aircraft panels and it is all freeware. You can buy FSPanel studio to move these (downloaded) gauges where ever you want...and re-size them to whatever you want.

roxiedog13
09-21-2013, 07:57 AM
Project magenta is only $99 for their package , is this considered expensive? The Flightline T and N packages are 29.99 each and you need both from what I can see. FS Panel is only $29.99 , I couldn't demo that one as I do not have FS on this system. Any pros cons between them that I should be aware of and is this it for options?

nismo
12-12-2013, 12:24 AM
FSXpand are another option. New gauges are very nice and you have the option to edit them as you like.

BuildABoeing
12-13-2013, 04:46 AM
Please do tell more. $20 per gauge is cheap but how much work to build the same is required? I figure I will need 10- 3" steam gauges plus the fuel, amp,flap,clock and compass.
Sorry I overlooked this posting.
Well it is pretty easy.

All you need for a gauge is:
* A servo-engine (S3003's are $5. The better HS-311 is $15)
* A 2mm shaft
* Two gears (Buy a bag of gears on eBay)
* 3+ pieces of plexiglas or Foamalux/Foamex
* A print of the gauge (Make your own)
* 2x 20mm spacer + 2x 5mm spacer (look for "M3 HEX")
* Craftmanship.

Most things (apart from the craftsmanship) can be found on eBay

I have posted two screen shots from a video I was trying to make on this subject (How to build a gauge). But the video is way too long so it needs some editing.

In this picture you can see my structure.

From right to left:
First I layer which a large hole for the gauge. This serves as a spacer the makes room for the needle.
Second a plate with the gauge on. I have printed my gauge on a sticker and mounted it on the plate. Very easy.
In the middle a small hole for the shaft and the needle is made from foamalux but you can also use plexiglass.
Then I use 20mm spacers before the two back plates.
The back end is made from two layers of plexiglass:
The first (The right one) only holds things in place. Is makes sure the gears not move apart and it adds stability to the shaft.
Between the two plates are two gears. One gear is mounted on the shaft. The other on the servo-engine. You need some sort of ratio as a servo only moves 180 deg but the gauge often needs 270 deg turn or more.
The last plate (far left) holds the servo-engine and the shaft.The white material is hard pressed cold foam. It is called Foamalux / Foamex and should be available at a DIY store (The kind that also sells MDF and plexiglas). But Plexiglas will also do.

Here you can see the front of the gauge. It needs to be mounted behind the MIP, so you only see the gauge through the hole.

My gauges is interfaced via SIOC and a OpenCockpits Servo card.

So as you can see, you don't need many materials, only some craftsmanship (and preferably better than mine :-P )

Cheers
Peter

roxiedog13
12-13-2013, 06:40 PM
Sorry I overlooked this posting.
Well it is pretty easy.

All you need for a gauge is:
* A servo-engine (S3003's are $5. The better HS-311 is $15)
* A 2mm shaft
* Two gears (Buy a bag of gears on eBay)
* 3+ pieces of plexiglas or Foamalux/Foamex
* A print of the gauge (Make your own)
* 2x 20mm spacer + 2x 5mm spacer (look for "M3 HEX")
* Craftmanship.

Most things (apart from the craftsmanship) can be found on eBay

I have posted two screen shots from a video I was trying to make on this subject (How to build a gauge). But the video is way too long so it needs some editing.

In this picture you can see my structure.

From right to left:
First I layer which a large hole for the gauge. This serves as a spacer the makes room for the needle.
Second a plate with the gauge on. I have printed my gauge on a sticker and mounted it on the plate. Very easy.
In the middle a small hole for the shaft and the needle is made from foamalux but you can also use plexiglass.
Then I use 20mm spacers before the two back plates.
The back end is made from two layers of plexiglass:
The first (The right one) only holds things in place. Is makes sure the gears not move apart and it adds stability to the shaft.
Between the two plates are two gears. One gear is mounted on the shaft. The other on the servo-engine. You need some sort of ratio as a servo only moves 180 deg but the gauge often needs 270 deg turn or more.
The last plate (far left) holds the servo-engine and the shaft.The white material is hard pressed cold foam. It is called Foamalux / Foamex and should be available at a DIY store (The kind that also sells MDF and plexiglas). But Plexiglas will also do.

Here you can see the front of the gauge. It needs to be mounted behind the MIP, so you only see the gauge through the hole.

My gauges is interfaced via SIOC and a OpenCockpits Servo card.

So as you can see, you don't need many materials, only some craftsmanship (and preferably better than mine :-P )

Cheers
Peter

I'm intrigued now maybe you could forward the video direct to my email roxiedog12@yahoo.ca . I used to build and fly model airplanes and have dozens of servos kicking around . Not sure how you interface via SIOC Servo card but I'm sure I could figure
that out.

Avro748
12-14-2013, 01:19 PM
You could pay $99 for some cartoonish looking gauges from PM, or get FS Panel Studio and place better looking gauges on the panel. In fact, you could even just use notepad, though it would take a lot of trial and error. As long as you use high resolution gauges, the effect is actually pretty good.

BuildABoeing
12-15-2013, 04:29 PM
I'm intrigued now maybe you could forward the video direct to my email roxiedog12@yahoo.ca . I used to build and fly model airplanes and have dozens of servos kicking around . Not sure how you interface via SIOC Servo card but I'm sure I could figure
that out.
Right now it is 7 separate videos, total 2Gb.
I will do some editing to the video over christmas, and let you know.

I use Prosim737 and SIOC for interfacing. Prosim737 is very easy to work with. But I am sure you can find SIOC-code that fits your need and how you interface.

roxiedog13
12-25-2013, 02:05 PM
Right now it is 7 separate videos, total 2Gb.
I will do some editing to the video over christmas, and let you know.

I use Prosim737 and SIOC for interfacing. Prosim737 is very easy to work with. But I am sure you can find SIOC-code that fits your need and how you interface.

May be a little too technical for me will have to investigate a little further . Would appreciate the video when you get around to it though .

AK Mongo
12-25-2013, 07:05 PM
This process will work well with gauges with limited range of motion (fuel, Vertical Speed, Airspeed, etc) The trouble you run into with steam gauges is that some of them are very tricky to implement mechanically. Those that require unlimited movement like an altimeter or that require adjustment (vor 1, vor 2, adf) are very different animals. Do you want some mechanical gauges and some virtual?

A little planning now will save you time and effort.

I have played a little with Servos with an Arduino card, and in combination with Jim's interface software (found free here: http://www.jimspage.co.nz/intro.htm ) the simple gauges are pretty easy.

BuildABoeing
02-01-2014, 06:05 AM
I believe I promised to return with a link once I finished editing the video.
Only took me 6 weeks…. :roll:

Anyway. My idea on how to make gauge easy and cheap:
http://buildaboeing.wordpress.com/2014/02/01/cheap-gauge/