PDA

View Full Version : Optimum Placement of Shakers or Butt Kickers

Tom_G_2010
01-15-2013, 07:24 PM
I am in the process of running speaker wire throughout my fuselage. I have runs for all the Surround speakers and a sub. I would also like to add the wire runs for a few Butt Kickers so I am now considering optimal placement.

Here are my ideas and questions so far.

I want one on the seat frame under the pilots seat for sure.
While the Copilots seat will see far less use I may want one there cost permitting.
Another spot I am considering is the forward portion of the floor near where peoples feet will rest.
I don't think it would take much (material or money) to get some mechanical coupling from the floor mounted unit into the rudder pedals if that's worth it.
And last, since I have a Cessna Y Bar for my yoke assembly I was pondering mounting one on the vertical bar to get some tactile feedback into the yokes. (at least until some future date when I can add full force feedback).

So that's a lot of shakers, cost, and amplifier capacity, which leads to the rest of the debate I'm having with myself.

How many is too many, if there is such a thing?
With the goal being to get some level of low end tactile feedback into the major contact points, Butt, Hands, & Feet, might there be a more optimal placement to accomplish this?
With the above in mind, might there be a way to accomplish that with fewer Butt Kickers?
Do those smaller inexpensive PC Gaming units really work or are they less than good bang for the buck?
What is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

Any thoughts, feedback, advice, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Tom G.

Tom_G_2010
01-17-2013, 01:32 AM
Hoping for some feedback before the weekend when I will be installing the wire runs... Thanks in advance!

saabpilot
01-19-2013, 11:14 AM
Hi,

We do have experience with Buttkicker placements in our sims.
The best placement is one or two a bit larger LF series (1000W amplifier) under the cockpit floor.
This gives you the very best feel in your feets as well as chairs.

The cheaper solution is a Buttkicker Gamer (100W) mounted in the respective chairs.
This solution works OK, but does not give as good feel as the ones under the sim flight deck floor.

Best,
Bjorn

Delphi
03-27-2013, 04:16 AM
I have one buttkicker placed underneath the pilot seat (CPT and FO). Two more buttkickers are placed on the flight deck plattform.

Audio amplifier: 70W

Total cost: EUR 150,-

Ruediger

For more information see: Tactile Audio System 1 (http://www.flying-the-winglets.de/AudioTactile1.html)

AK Mongo
03-27-2013, 10:03 AM
Need more info before I can help with the only question I am qualified for:

airspeed with or without coconuts?

Reid

akammerer
03-28-2013, 03:19 PM
Have you checked out the transducer section of this build site? The site layout is a little complicated to follow, but you can at least see the areas where this builder put transducers. Small ones directly on the rudder pedals for instance. Good discussion there on the merits of tactile feedback.

Adding Tactile Transducers (http://www.simprojects.nl/transducers.htm)