PDA

View Full Version : Now here's an interesting motion platform

Jim NZ
01-15-2007, 02:45 PM
My old mate Erich found this one for me.

http://digilander.libero.it/tornadoblu5/index1.htm

I thought it was an interesting approach.

Jim

www.jimspage.co.nz

Trevor Hale
01-15-2007, 03:26 PM
Wow.

Not to bad pricing. It will be very handy to buy the encoder from him and the software. I knew I built my sim on a moveable platform for a reason. Now I just need to talk my wife in letting me open up the ceiling in the Sim room. This will give me 19 foot ceiling to install my motion platform.

What do you guys think? Will she go for it? LOL

Roland
01-15-2007, 05:12 PM
Great to see another addition to the homebuild motion platforms, and nicely documented as well. Smart gymbal system too.
I wonder what he's using for interfacing the serial data to the motor drive. Basic stamp or something similar?

Thanks a lot for the link Jim!

AndyT
01-15-2007, 05:21 PM
I'm working on a 3 axis system (Roll, Pitch & Yaw) but its going to be a while before I get the kind of room I need for that. This would be a great alternative.

Trevor Hale
01-16-2007, 08:42 AM
Roland,

Funny you should mention the Basic stamp. I used one of those in my Grade 10 Electronics class, (many moons ago) I used it to mimic a complete 4 way intersection stop light system, with automated sensors for left turn signals. Actually worked well, and easy to program in basic.

Actually when you look through his web doccumentation he has created his own controller using fets and a small micro. The pcb is of a home grown fassion, however he will build and send to you for 490 Euros.

The only down falls I see are it is a standard serial connection not USB and it needs to have potentiometers to provide feedback to the encoder giving it the current sim position.

Good unit though, and surprisingly smooth.

A Job well done and well doccumented.