PDA

View Full Version : The Gauges Factory startup

rotorhub
09-03-2012, 03:06 PM
Hi

Is there anyone using thegaugesfactory in their setu?
The gauges factory (http://www.thegaugesfactory.org/)

I am testing them for a Baron 58 pit, but I have no luck starting the gauges trough WideFS or *.BAT file. It seems that the *.exe does not act as a normal *.exe file. I have no problem starting other files this way.

I would like to use these gauges, but starting all the guages one by one is not what I have in mind. I have the PM GAIFR an it works ok, but the gauges from
thegaugesfactory has nicer and more realistic look.

Regards
ArildE

BIGLDH
09-04-2012, 04:57 PM
As I am very new to this I can't speak with any high degree of authority, however, from my experience using these gauges, I have not seen an instnace or possibility of launching em all through a .BAT file. Reason for me is that with the GF gauges, I need to re-size them to fit the MIP, individually. No way to move / resize automatically or have a 'panel' with your sizes, positioning saved. The PEIX gauges, although PAYWARE have an option to design your panel / gauges and then SAVE that panel so you can simply load it without individually configuring them.

Again, no expert by any means, but I happened to be playing with this issue recently and these are my observations. Looking forward to hearing from everyone else or as I call you all.... THE EXPERTS!

Good luck.

Dale

rotorhub
09-04-2012, 05:44 PM
Hi Dale

Thank you for your input!

I found a French site with some info regarding these matters. There were some sample scripts and a auto hot key app that was mentioned. The guy who made these gauges does not respond or post anything new, so I guess it is a dead project for the moment.
I have the PEIX radio stack and it works great. I tried the demo of the GA panel but I did not think it was smooth enough for IFR/ILS. Project Magenta does a good job there.

I once had the ITRA prop gauges but lost the USB dongle. They did not respond to my replacement request, but the gauges are good. www.itra.de (http://www.itra.de) But not so good that I would buy them at full price again. A donation to TheGaugesFactory would be my choice if the project were alive. The gauges stlll have some issues upon exit. Any other advice for networked GA gauges are welcome.

regards
Arild

BIGLDH
09-05-2012, 01:50 AM
Please be sure to let all of us know if you DO find a solution or workaround to your dilema. I too would love to be able to minimize initial startup / configuration time. I have to also admit that the PM gauges were not that impressive considering PM's reputation and their overwhelming popularity in the 737 circles. So far, for me, the GF gauges look the best and have had the least amount of issues or glitches. The price is unbeatable as well :o) As always, would love to hear from others or more information regarding this!

Dale

defmeister
09-05-2012, 03:34 AM
I use peix gauges and have no problem with them. I've also used the gauges factory dials with monitor overlay on a networked computer. Once I have it the way I want it and it fits the overlay, I don't shut down the machine, I use hibernate instead and when I resume the gauges are where they should be. Might help.....

IanH1960
09-06-2012, 11:22 AM
Hi,

I've liked the look of the TheGaugesFactory gauges for a while and also wondered about how to set them up as a full panel. They are really nice and smooth in operation.

I have worked up a simple app which captures and saves the positions & sizes of all the gauges you specify and when re-run re-opens them all at the same positions with the same settings...

Here's the link..

Index of /Files (http://bffsimulation.com/Files/)

There's an instructions file in the zip which you will need to read if you want to use it.

The setup involves installing each of the gauges in its own folder - all within a master gauges folder. The location to the master folder is set in the app's .ini file, and the number of gauges you are using and the name of each gauge sub-folder are specified there also.

So remember to edit the ini file before first use....

When the app is run (it's just an exe) it sets the positions etc for each gauge and starts it. When it is closed it saves all the positions etc for the next time. The very first time it runs it uses the default settings for each gauge currently in their .cfg files.

...seems to work for me on Vista, but not extensively tested!

If anyone has a go please let me know if it works for you - I can clean it up a bit and add a proper GUI with buttons etc if there is enough interest..

Ian

BIGLDH
09-06-2012, 01:46 PM
Ian,

Wow! You are Johnny on the Spot here! I will most deinitely be testing your app ASAP. may be a few days, but I will make sure I get you a report back on the performance. Thanks for your work and for sharing with all of us!

rotorhub
09-06-2012, 02:37 PM
Thanks Ian. This was great news. It worked for me!

It did not remember the gauge position, but I will do some more tests.

I can help you with user stories, GUI sketch and icons if needed. I have some suggestions... :-)

Regards
Arild

IanH1960
09-07-2012, 03:27 AM
Thanks...

Any suggestions welcome, although it'll need to be kept simple.

It definately looks like the closing of gauges is not always clean - but this seems to be the case on my system with the basic gauges also. ie clicking on the close X on the gauge window bar usually closes the gauge - but not always. The gauge creator mentions a bug in this regard on his web site.

If a gauge does not close cleanly when the app instructs it to it is likely any position changes made for it won't be saved by the app.

If the app always seems not to save changes made to gauge positions and sizes then check that this works for the basic gauge itself - ie start it by running a gauge exe (not the app), move the gauge and then close it - then run the gauge exe again - does it now start in the new position?

Currently the app relies on the gauge's internal function of saving its position and size etc to the gauge .cfg file when it is closed. The asp then reads and saves the position data from the cfg file. I might be able to do this independently if this isn't reliable.

Ian

IanH1960
09-07-2012, 05:39 AM
..updated to beta 2.

Changes....

Beta 2 - 7/9/12

Corrected for KR**, KT** and KX** gauges.
Removed message box when gauge doesn't close - it forces close anyway..
Speeded up gauge close a bit.
Corrected for GEN_DME gauge.
Added feature to drag gauges without window bars - hold down "Caps Lock" and left click and drag with mouse.

NOTE doesn't work for one of the two Bendix electronic flight systems gauges - different .cfg file.

Ian

Index of /Files (http://bffsimulation.com/Files/)

iwik
09-07-2012, 02:23 PM
Hi Ian,
Thanks for the utility. Is this panel going to be put on top of your platform, it would be nice addition. You are right, these gauges
are quite smooth, just had to try them. May use them myself instead of the PM GAIFR i have.
Les

IanH1960
09-08-2012, 07:46 AM
Hi Les,

No problem, hope it's of use.

..pity there isn't an AP gauge in the collection - or at least I can't see one.

I've been mulling over a small sim for a while and am gradually putting some ideas together - I think I'll go with glass gauges to keep the costs down and I might use these TGF ones but we'll see.

It won't be on the motion platform - I've got some other motion ideas I want to try out that might be a bit easier to build, but I should be able to include the FFB in there...

Ian