PDA

View Full Version : Opencockpits question

GPreddy
08-16-2012, 04:23 PM
Howdy All!

I recently recieved the opencockpits mastercard, usb expansion, and display card for my mcp project. However, when I tried to connect the 5v power and ground plug to actually power it up, it only sparked, and I pulled it out right away. Looking at it, it looks like the wire from the plug to the vga port is burnt and broken, but the mastercard itself still works. Is there any way to fix this, or can I simply power the usb expansion card instead? Also, what did I do wrong?

I used one of the Molex connectors from my computer for the power, as recommended by Nico Kaan.

Thanks for your help!

Steve

fordgt40
08-16-2012, 05:21 PM
Precisely where did you apply both the ground and +5volt?
Does SIOC recognise the OC cards
There is no VGA port - do you mean the supplementary output one?

GPreddy
08-16-2012, 11:48 PM
The ground and 5v were connected to the white, two pin socket (J0). After testing the output of my computer's power source, I found it to be 5.4v. Yes, SIOC does still recognise the cards, so I know that they are still operational. And yes, I did mean the supplementary output port, not VGA. Upon further investigation, the damage does not look substantial at all. I will try soldering a wire to bridge the burnt-out one, and then test it with a stable 5v power source.

fordgt40
08-17-2012, 09:02 AM
Good news then that the cards are still operational. You should always power the mastercards, not the expansion card. Assuming that you initially powered up with the right polarity ie +5v to the J0 pin nearest the P2 connector and did not short the lines then I do not know what could have happened - I assume the cards were on a non conductive base. Good luck:)