PDA

View Full Version : Control all your PCs from a single PC

NicD
12-30-2006, 10:58 PM
You can do this with Keyboard/Video/Mouse (KVM) switches, or with VNC, but here's an even more efficient and elegant solution...

This neat open-source utility from Synergy is worth a try: http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/

It works like a dream ... you tell it the physical layout of the screens connected to various PCs and then you can use a single mouse to move the pointer across all screens. You can then use the mouse as per normal on whatever screen/PC you have the mouse pointer on, and, when you're on a particular screen the single keyboard you're using will be fully active on that screen/PC as well. Plus you can copy/paste between PCs in a blink. I'm using it now from my instructor station to manage all 5 PCs and 6 screens in my flightdeck. Only 1 mouse, 1 keyboard, and no extra cabling needed.

wollo
01-07-2007, 09:00 AM
Nicd, I've got 2 pc,S 4 Big screen on top and second pc's smaller screen below. I've been thinking about buying a two port KVM on ebay as they're really cheap now.
This sounds like a good alternative. If I have fsx running fullscreen on the top pc and PM on the bottom one can I still move between machines with my mouse pointer ?

I hope I explained that properly.

Bill.

ekezz
01-07-2007, 09:51 AM
My solution is a 4 port KVM as I have the CDU/FMS and the PM Systems PC each on separate PC's. Not to forget my FS PC and my GC PC's. For Instructor Station I use a laptop with it's own keyboard. I have anothe PC for the GC lower Eicas, may try the software solutions for that one.

wollo
01-07-2007, 10:27 AM
Do you use the monitor switching capability on the kvm or just the k and m?

ToTom
01-07-2007, 11:08 AM
http://www.uvnc.com/download/index.html
I use version 1.01
It is very good.

Hans Krohn
01-07-2007, 12:56 PM
I use synergy too, and I'm absoloutely happy about it.

I run FS9 on three monitors for outside views, full screen. To syneregy, they appear as one screen. Once the mouse leaves this main screen, FS gets minimized and pauses.

Regards,
Hans

wollo
01-07-2007, 01:06 PM
Hans,
Thanks for the reply.
That what I was scared of.
Is there any way to stop it minimising fs when you move off the main pc window? I'm assuming fs is only pausing because of the task switch?

NicD
01-07-2007, 05:28 PM
I don't have the pause issue - my 'pause on task' is off.

I'll be using a combination of KVM and synergy. I'll use the KVM to switch video feeds from the various PCs but just let synergy run the shared mouse and keyboard. That way I only have to run video cables to the KVM switch and not multiple mouse and KB leads.

wollo
01-07-2007, 05:40 PM
Nic does your fs minimise when you change screens?

NicD
01-08-2007, 04:27 AM
Wollo - no it doesn't minimise on screen change.

Hans Krohn
01-08-2007, 05:53 AM
Hans,
Thanks for the reply.
That what I was scared of.
Is there any way to stop it minimising fs when you move off the main pc window? I'm assuming fs is only pausing because of the task switch?

Wollo:

the pausing, yes.
Actually, I am quite happy about FS minimizing when I go off screen with synergy, because it minimizes in 3 windows (and reopens them just like they were before). If I do an Alt Enter, I go back to all windows on top of each other and I have to undock them again...

Anyways, once my cockpit is up and running, there is no need for the mouse anymore. I try not to touch it, but to do all tasks during the flight by flipping switches, turning knobs etc. - that's why I spend all those 1000s of h building my cockpit, after all :-)

Regards,
Hans

wollo
01-08-2007, 12:07 PM
that, fair enough. I'm not quite at the switches stage yet. I'll give it a try later this week. I'll let you know how it goes.

Bill.

Bob Reed
01-08-2007, 02:23 PM
THere is another option called VNC http://www.realvnc.com/ THis is what I use for setting the sim up and working on it. I have 1 keyboard and 1 mouse and it uses the monitor hoked up to the machine you are sitting at so ther eis no looking through the MIP or trying to read that little tiny CDU screen. Works good and it is free.

nrasch0402
02-13-2007, 11:28 AM
I too, am using synergy. In fact, I have it running across operating systems ( WinXP home-Win98 ) with no issues.