PDA

View Full Version : How to organise paperwork like maps, plates etc

Goldmember
02-26-2012, 11:46 AM
I wonder how real life pilots organise their paperwork. I see A5-size folders with perforated documentation. What is in one folder? One airport? And how many folders do they carry with them? What if you have to divert and you don't have the folder?

Second question: there's a trend to go to iPad's for documentation. I've downloaded JeppTC, ForeFlight and EFB Global Navsource. They look nice but for sim use, they're too expensive. Does anybody use the iPad in a simpler/cheaper way?

notgotaclue
02-26-2012, 01:44 PM
I wonder how real life pilots organise their paperwork. I see A5-size folders with perforated documentation. What is in one folder? One airport? And how many folders do they carry with them? What if you have to divert and you don't have the folder?

Second question: there's a trend to go to iPad's for documentation. I've downloaded JeppTC, ForeFlight and EFB Global Navsource. They look nice but for sim use, they're too expensive. Does anybody use the iPad in a simpler/cheaper way?

Hi,
I have an ipad with all the charts I could find installed on it, I thought it was the bees knees when I was playing around with it- guess what?....... I no longer use it and have gone back to my faithful paper charts. Nothing beats scrambling to find the right chart at the last minute, clipping it to the yoke, whilst doing 101 other things - it seemed like cheating on the ipad ;)
Allan

Goldmember
02-26-2012, 06:02 PM
So how have you got your charts organised? You print out all 65 pages of EGLL and put them in a folder? Same for EHAM etcetera?

notgotaclue
02-26-2012, 06:09 PM
So how have you got your charts organised? You print out all 65 pages of EGLL and put them in a folder? Same for EHAM etcetera?

Hi,
I bought all the Jeppesen approach charts from Ebay, I have 4 binders worth and it has most European airports. I think I paid about £40 for them. They guy I bought them from is a 737 pilot and there were the ones he used for work. They are a few years out of date, but perfect for the sim.
Well worth it. Adds to the realism no end.
Allan.

fsaviator
02-26-2012, 08:51 PM
Jepp charts are organized a specific way. They are always in the same order, and the page numbers always correspond to a certain chart (airfield diagrams are the same page number, regardless of airport; ILS approaches have a corresponding page # etc) all which correspond with the general order a chart will be used.

My charts (SW USA) come from jepp in their industry standard order. Each binder is organized by region, state, then airport by ICAO code.

At the end of the day, your best bet is to organize the best way for you to quickly find a chart. As for printing each chart... if you update your nav info regularly, you'll go broke trying to stay ahead of the latest update.

Warren

blueskydriver
02-26-2012, 10:01 PM
Suggest you think about the update aspects; especially, if you use PM, Prosim or SimA. If you use Navigraph, then your navdata will be updated for each one of these programs. So, now your paper charts will be outdated rather quick and not match the navdata.

However, there are two ways to stay updated and that is to use Navigraph nDac charts, but you'll have to pay for updates more often (all credit based). Or, you could get Avilasoft EFB program run it on your Ipad via Air Display addon. With Avilasoft, you'd be using the navigraph navdata to see the required data and not actually see the chart so to speak.

Finally, there is a third method, you could get Good Reader pdf reader addon for the Ipad and use AirNav website to get your charts, you then do the "open in Good Reader" function and save them. You would then organize them in Good Reader yourself and whaa-laa you have update charts at your finger tips, but you would have to do the updating everytime they're updated on AirNav and that is normally monthly...

BSD

notgotaclue
02-27-2012, 06:55 AM
Suggest you think about the update aspects; especially, if you use PM, Prosim or SimA. If you use Navigraph, then your navdata will be updated for each one of these programs. So, now your paper charts will be outdated rather quick and not match the navdata

BSD

Hi,
I use prosim and have not seen much variance using my slightly outdated charts.
It is not real life and nobody is going to die because my chart says a 4000 feet SID has been changed to 5000 feet in the update.
These changes are very small, in fact I have been using the charts for a few months now and have not noticed any differences - certainly no shop stoppers.
Allan.