PDA

View Full Version : BACKGROUND SEPERATE FROM ATC!

manhattan
02-09-2012, 09:42 AM
Here I am again asking (begging) for help as to how to seperate or modify the two types of audio (atc and others) in FS9?
Normal listening to atc, means accepting blasting levels from engines etc etc. I know there are sliders to alter levels, but background has to be so low (so as not to drown out atc) that it becomes pointless! Seperating them (somehow) is required.
Could a networked computer or a second sound card be the answer? Could taking up domino's help**&//^^/##\%

FS10 has the answer, but I use many multiple monitors - and it dont like it!!!

Here's hoping,

TONY, Plymouth UK

iwik
02-09-2012, 01:24 PM
Hi Tony,
The only thing i can think of it the Goflight GF-ATC module. It filters out the engine noise to give only atc audio with realistic radio sound. It has no ability to hear some engine noises however. If this is wanted you would have to get the general audio maybe from another card.
Mutleys Hangar has a review of the module. I dont think its that easy in FS9.
Les

notgotaclue
02-09-2012, 02:55 PM
Hi,
I use Radar Contact over a network.
Much more satisfying having ONLY atc coming out of your headphones.
Allan.

CWFlightsim
06-23-2012, 06:30 AM
Gidday,
In FS9 there is no physical way of separating sounds.... so... I got my old pro-logic stereo amp and ran 3 speakers, 2 side speakers for engines and the centre speaker automatically decodes the ATC into the centre speaker.

manhattan
03-05-2013, 10:55 AM
Hi,
I use Radar Contact over a network.
Much more satisfying having ONLY atc coming out of your headphones.
Allan.

Hi Allan.
Sorry to come back to you yet again! Can you explain in greater detail how this works? Where is RC installed - on the main PC or the client? How does audio from FS find it's way through RC as atc only?

Thanks again.

TONY Plymouth UK

manhattan
03-05-2013, 11:00 AM
Gidday,
In FS9 there is no physical way of separating sounds.... so... I got my old pro-logic stereo amp and ran 3 speakers, 2 side speakers for engines and the centre speaker automatically decodes the ATC into the centre speaker.

Hi there.

Can you explain more clearly, how a stereo amp can automatically decode (seperate) atc from other sounds - given that they are all on the same signal feed?
I thought that one signal carrying ALL sounds cannot be seperated this way?

Many thanks.

TONY.

notgotaclue
03-05-2013, 02:25 PM
Hi Allan.
Sorry to come back to you yet again! Can you explain in greater detail how this works? Where is RC installed - on the main PC or the client? How does audio from FS find it's way through RC as atc only?

Thanks again.

TONY Plymouth UK

Hi,
I got it working quite a while ago and as I am not too hot with computers I cannot truly remember.
I THINK it was pretty easy and I set it up like this.
Install Radar Contact on the client pc and connect to FSX using Widefs.
You will need to tell radar contact where FSX is located through the network.
The way I start it is to run Widefs and make sure that is connected.
Then load the flight plan into Radar Contact and click start.
On the Main PC you will see the RC menus to call for clearance, Atis etc..... When you call for clearance (or whatever) then the sound will come from the client pc, if you then set up headphones on the client pc it is very realsitic and the sounds for ATC come through your headphones, whilst the engine etc.. will come from the main pc.
As I said I am not great with 'puters and I have probably missed a step along the way - so hopefully someone else will chip in with further advice.
Allan.

ohsirus
03-05-2013, 10:16 PM
Try indievolume.

Welcome to IndieVolume! | IndieVolume (http://www.indievolume.com/)

Every application can have separate volume level, independent of other applications volume level.

For example, you are listening to the music, and suddenly some application LOUDLY shouts or dings — with IndieVolume you just configure shouting application to sound at different (lower) volume compared with the volume at which player application is playing music.

Every application can be (forcibly) muted independent of other applications.

For example, you have occasionally visited one of that websites, that play horrible sounds in the background — using IndieVolume you can just mute web browser not to output any sound at all. Or you like to play flash games and would like to control volume level — IndieVolume can do that as well.

Two or more soundcards, but applications play only on one.

For example, if you have built-in sound card and SoundBlaster as second sound card, or USB/Bluetooth headset, you can configure certain applications play on built-in sound card, and others play on SoundBlaster or USB headset, fully employing your audio hardware.

Mute all applications when critical application plays a sound.

For example, you are having business chat in Skype or GoogleTalk, and suddenly some application plays a sound — with IndieVolume, you can mark Skype/GoogleTalk as "exclusive", so none application would sound during your Skype/GoogleTalk calls.

manhattan
05-09-2013, 08:31 AM
Hi.
The ATC as distinct from other aircraft sounds does not constitute an "application", and all sounds are bound up in the single audio output coming from the sound card. Because of this, seperation is virtually impossible - even using a graphics equaliser to filter out unwanted sounds.
Indie Volume seems to be an audio mixer that receives different feeds to be mixed and processed in the normal way? FS has only ONE feed from the sound card carrying ALL sounds.
Having said this, your further comments wiuld be of interest.

Thanks.

TONY Plymouth UK

Peter Dowson
05-09-2013, 10:28 AM
Where is RC installed - on the main PC or the client? How does audio from FS find it's way through RC as atc only?

If you use a third party program for ATC, instead of the terrible default FS ATC, then the sound comes from that program, not from FS. So there is no need for sound to be routed from FS through it!

RC runs quite happily on a networked PC. The menu can appear on the FS screen, or, via a little program called ShowText, on any screen on any PC in the network. The sound can be routed to a headset, for eample, because you'd connect the headset to the Networked PC which is running RC.

You can do the same sort of thing with ProATC/X, though not (yet) move its menu off the PC screen.

Regards
Pete

ohsirus
05-09-2013, 10:44 AM
Hi.
The ATC as distinct from other aircraft sounds does not constitute an "application", and all sounds are bound up in the single audio output coming from the sound card. Because of this, seperation is virtually impossible - even using a graphics equaliser to filter out unwanted sounds.
Indie Volume seems to be an audio mixer that receives different feeds to be mixed and processed in the normal way? FS has only ONE feed from the sound card carrying ALL sounds.
Having said this, your further comments wiuld be of interest.

Thanks.

TONY Plymouth UK

Correct. You must use an external ATC in order to separate the Audio. IndieVolume would allow you separate ie. RC4 and FS9 Audio channels.

manhattan
05-09-2013, 11:34 AM
If you use a third party program for ATC, instead of the terrible default FS ATC, then the sound comes from that program, not from FS. So there is no need for sound to be routed from FS through it!

RC runs quite happily on a networked PC. The menu can appear on the FS screen, or, via a little program called ShowText, on any screen on any PC in the network. The sound can be routed to a headset, for eample, because you'd connect the headset to the Networked PC which is running RC.

You can do the same sort of thing with ProATC/X, though not (yet) move its menu off the PC screen.

Regards
Pete

Many thanks Pete.

I presume that RC would perform in much the same way as inbuilt ATC (but much better) and would relate to aircraft movements in the same way? I am not too familiar with RC and presume that I can select ATC only to send to the headphones? Sorry, I'm not too technical!

Thanks again.

TONY, Plymouth UK

Peter Dowson
05-09-2013, 06:16 PM
I presume that RC would perform in much the same way as inbuilt ATC (but much better) and would relate to aircraft movements in the same way?

It tries to deal with AI traffic. it does talk correctly to them, and stops most, but not all, runway conflicts. It doesn't handle them in the air. For decent air separation you need to add something like AISmooth (which actually also helps with default aI too).

I am not too familiar with RC and presume that I can select ATC only to send to the headphones? Sorry, I'm not too technical!

RC's sound goes to the default sound device. You can make that your headset on the Networked PC. If you ran RC on the same PC as FS you'd need to change the default device before starting it, or use that IndieVolume program described earlier in the thread.

ProATC/X will one day have sound device selection capabilities, which would be a tidier way of doing it. It's not in yet, but on their "to do" list.

Pete

manhattan
05-18-2013, 06:37 AM
It tries to deal with AI traffic. it does talk correctly to them, and stops most, but not all, runway conflicts. It doesn't handle them in the air. For decent air separation you need to add something like AISmooth (which actually also helps with default aI too).

RC's sound goes to the default sound device. You can make that your headset on the Networked PC. If you ran RC on the same PC as FS you'd need to change the default device before starting it, or use that IndieVolume program described earlier in the thread.

ProATC/X will one day have sound device selection capabilities, which would be a tidier way of doing it. It's not in yet, but on their "to do" list.

Pete

Hello again Pete.

Thanks again for your valuable assistance. I will be installing RC on a seperate computer as suggested. Will I need to install anything else as well to make this work?

Regards,

TONY Plymouth UK

manhattan
05-18-2013, 06:42 AM

Pete

Hello again.
Just a quick question - apart from RC, will I need to install anything else for this to work?

Regards
TONY.

ohsirus
05-18-2013, 06:28 PM
RC and WideFS.

wiganpilotsteve
01-04-2014, 06:54 AM
I plan on using my old Sony home theatre 5.1 system with the sub woofer tucked in just behind my seat at the bottom. I have been looking for the Goflight ATC module, but can't seem to find one with a black facia.