PDA

View Full Version : 727/737 throttle quad question- trim wheel removal

daveaust
12-13-2011, 02:07 AM
Wondering if anybody here has pulled trim wheels off of the shafts. I just brought home a 727 quad and the shaft is splines underneath like I see on google examples, but has a freely spinning center shaft of some sort. Mine has a small hex set (maybe locking?) screw and then a slotted small screw or plate surrounding the hex screw. The inner shaft spins freely clear across to the other wheel. The hex screws are tight but not sure if I need to try to loosen the slotted piece or break the small hex set screws loose first. I just dont want to strip anything up on this part. I am thinking those of you who have done or seen these before will know exactly what I am talking about. I think the 727 and 737 design is identical here. If I need to post up a close-up pic for clarification I can. I attached a far shot just to show it off. Needs soap!
Thanks for any advice, dave austerman

Philb737
12-13-2011, 04:14 AM
Dave,
You need to hold the hex shaft on either the right or left side of the trim wheels with the correct hex screw driver firmly and then loosen the slotted small screw with your fingers on the opposite side of the hex screw. Most of the time the slotted screw is finger tight! if you can't turn it with your fingers you can use a sharp needle nose pliers or a scissors. The hex screw is a long shaft with hex tips running(inside of the trim wheel shaft) from one end of the trim wheels to the opposite side securing the trim wheels to the trim wheel shaft with two slotted screw on both sides on the trim wheels . Once you remove the slotted screw you can push the hex shaft from one end to the other! You don't need to take off both slotted screw!!!
Phil

daveaust
12-13-2011, 10:08 AM
Phil, thank you! That is exactly the kind of info i was wondering about. I noticed the two hex "screws" were quite solid and that explains why! I will try to free it up this way tonight when i get back home. Once again, thanks for your expertise. I had a feeling you guys would know what i was talking about... Dave