PDA

View Full Version : base leg

ArmchairAviator
11-27-2011, 09:55 AM
I recall when I went from two to three monitors I got more real estate, but still did not have enough "side view" to sight the runway on base leg...I would have to do diagonal approaches. I am currently running two projectors and am wondering will three projectors cover enough real estate to give me a look to the runway on baseleg?

Ah I think I have my answer. I can see runway on base leg on these videos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAk5qFOOYaQ
http://www.youtube.com/user/ckrailvideo#p/u/3/rlcf1QE50sA

Aaron
11-27-2011, 06:33 PM
With three monitors atached to a th2go or a eyefinity/surround, if just zoom back, you will just get the same view, with more portion of the sides, but in the front view. If you want to look left, and see whats going on the left of the airplane, you need to work with the views (front, front-left, left, etc...). The more usual setup its three undocked views, one per monitor/projector, zoomed to adjust them to your setup.

Undocked views will kill your framerate, so wideview (www.wideview.it) its a important improvement in this issue.

In our case, we have three projectors, every projector attached to one pc. Every pc (3) connected to a server via wideview, to cover around 220º onto a curved screen. More or less like the videos you post (as far as I know, the simulator on the setup have undocked views with just one pc, but with FS9 (less hardware needed))

Aaron
11-27-2011, 06:35 PM
duplicate by mistake, please delete it.Thanks

blueskydriver
11-27-2011, 07:19 PM
Aaron, so what are the computer specs on all 4 computers? Trying to figure out how much more insane that would be for us with 12 computers, 2 IPads and a laptop running already!!!

What are your frame rates with a setup like that? Right now we can get 15 to 18 @ KJFK or KORD with everything possible loaded, in the air we're at 40-60 Now, if we turn on FSAltitude, it is more like 30 at the airports and 50-90 in the air. Two questions; first, have or are you using FSAltitude, and/or what scenery do you use? Second, does that mean multiple of three or four for each computer on your setup? If so, that is truly incredible!

Finally, do you have any videos posted? Like to see some wide shots of your sim, the room and the projector arrangement...

BSD

Aaron
11-28-2011, 06:23 AM
Aaron, so what are the computer specs on all 4 computers? Trying to figure out how much more insane that would be for us with 12 computers, 2 IPads and a laptop running already!!!

My visual setup is made by 4 PCs:
The three visual clients are: I7 2600k@4.2Ghz, 8Gb RAM, 1Tb HDD (no SSD at the moment) and nVidia GTX570 with Optoma EW610ST. Every one of this are running Immersive display lite 2, FSX (almost all maxed out, locked at 61fps, sound disable), Wideview and widetraffic clients.

The server is a I7 930 @ 4.0 6Gb RAM 1Tb HDD (no SSD at the moment) and ATI 5870, running FSX (with all sliders to the left and locked in 31 fps, sound activated) with Wideview and widetraffic server, and FSUIPC - WideFS.

What are your frame rates with a setup like that? Right now we can get 15 to 18 @ KJFK or KORD with everything possible loaded, in the air we're at 40-60 Now, if we turn on FSAltitude, it is more like 30 at the airports and 50-90 in the air. Two questions; first, have or are you using FSAltitude, and/or what scenery do you use? Second, does that mean multiple of three or four for each computer on your setup? If so, that is truly incredible!

In heavys escenarios like KLAX, KSEA, EDDF, or ORBX scenery with heavy autogen and badweather we never go below 30s on short-final, and only in little spikes with no stutters. Most of the time the MAX framerate (locked at 61) is mantained. But the FPS are not really important. While we were configuring those clients, we have never problems with framerate, but the stutters and smoothness its the tricky question. With that kind of configuration, with the visual PC's not working on sound, joysticks, usb's, etc. the smoothness is drastically increased while the FPS is almost the same that in single PC config.

We have 9 computers in total as follow:
1 server (fsx, sound, fsuipc-widefs, wideview-widetraffic, yoke, rudder and throttle)
3 visuals clients (fsx, wideview-widetraffic)
1 for PFD/ND for capt and FO and chronos (4 monitors to 2 vgas)
1 for upper and lower eicas (2 monitors)
1 for CDU
1 for RCDU
1 for overhead

Finally, do you have any videos posted? Like to see some wide shots of your sim, the room and the projector arrangement...
BSD

Of course, you have a set of building photos on the blog (http://mi737.blogspot.com/p/fotos.html) and some videos on youtube.
A short video of the first steps in the new systems and visual: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7vggfnmzWI
And a quick circuit with thunderstorm and snow in lowi: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYHnAoFtTH0

At the end of the video you will see the screen and projectors position (very standard, nothing spectacular). The vid is in spanish, but I really dont say nothing of interest for simbuilders (its just a video to show the simulator to most of the people)