PDA

View Full Version : looking for advice and help with baro ajdustment in a Goose.

Redlance88
09-06-2011, 11:18 AM
hey all, I have been trying to find information for how to be able to manually adjust the barometric settings for the altimeter. I know the "B" key can reset it and that it can be set to standard, pressure, but I wish to be able to assign the adjustment to a rotary encoder, I have seen this done with other aircraft but even for them I have not been able to find the assignments in either the stock fsx controls list or in fsupic lists. could some one point me in the correct direction, I am getting a little confused as to how this has been accomplished by others, my hope is that even tho the stock Grumman goose in fsx doesn't have a virtual knob on the gauge that the assignments from say the 172 will still control it, but so far I have not been able to even figure out how to make it work for the aircraft that do have the virtual adjustment knob, What Am I missing ? thanks in advance for any one who can point me in the correct direction.

Shawn
09-06-2011, 11:32 AM
In FSUIPC, I beleive your looking for the Kollsman increase/decrease function. Named after the inventor Paul Kollsman (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Kollsman)

Redlance88
09-06-2011, 01:00 PM
I will look that up as soon as I get home from work. I don't recall seeing that specific listing but I am not surprised being as unless you know that bit of history one would have no idea, that "kollsman" is what it is refering to. no doubt you have spared my desk from several sessions of head bashing. thank you so very much! for us non pilot but enthusiastic sim builders, a more descriptive notation for that control might be in order. now with any luck ATC will stay off my case on longer IFR flights :)

Shawn
09-06-2011, 08:40 PM
I'm going from memory but I'm pretty sure it's Kollsman something? I had the same issue a couple of years ago, I remember spending hours going through the list of FSUIPC assignments looking for something that would adjust barometric pressure.

Redlance88
09-07-2011, 12:03 PM
Thank you, works perfectly now, so, all that is left is to import my various gauges to an independent monitor and fabricate my main instrument panel. what do you folks recommend as the best way to do that?, I have several computers to dedicate to this project if needed, my goal is minimal lag with the instruments and as realistic scale as I can manage from virtual gauges. being as I am looking primarily for a single aircraft type set up with rare but occasional use of other types, my plan is to make every thing geared towards being a goose cockpit replica including over head throttle locations and the like. would like some thoughts on what works and what doesn't. so far I have working pots, for throttle x2 fuel mix x2 and prop pitch x2 all of the toggles for the entire aircraft, with the exception of the fuel cut offs and the transfer pumps, I have a plan for the primary flight controls that I suspect will work. I intend to do fully dual linked controls but the rudder set up will be more Cessna like than authentic, but the feel should not be that noticeable for some one who hasn't flown in nearly 20 years. and I think the torque tube rudder pedals will be more practical for the space constraints. would like to hear from folks that have done the monitor behind panel set up for gauges and get some feed back on what has worked well for them. as always thanks for taking the time to read this and I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Shawn
09-08-2011, 08:23 AM
I am currently working on two LCD monitor, panels covers. They are made from PVC plastic sheet and PVC tube for the gauge bezels. I found the plastic sheet very easy to work with as you can cut it by hand with multiple scores from an exacto knife, this allowed me to cut square holes for my tactile switches. I laid out all the holes on a piece of paper first with a ruler and compass and then taped this to the PVC plastic so I could centre punch the position of the holes directly onto the PVC, cutting the holes with an adjustable hole cutter on a hand drill. Eventually I will build the primary panel from MDF that will hold the monitors in place, the plastic panels will insert into the main panel. Hope that gives you some ideas? What gauges are you planning to use?

Shawn

Redlance88
09-09-2011, 04:10 PM
well, for now I would like to hear what every one else has has success with, and to hear what my options are, Ideal for right now would be to just import the stock goose gauges over to a spare monitor I am happy generally with how they look and function. if that is not practical or possible than I have looked into making free ware ones from the gauge factory (TM) work for the basics. the various over head ones for engine rpm temp pressure ect are more problematic both because of how necessary they are and how the location makes it impractical to consider a lcd display option. so when I get to that stage I may be building my own. for right now tho, The "BIG SIX" are my concern as are any others that would be on the main panel. and for right now I want to hear about software gauges options.