PDA

View Full Version : Dual projectors advices ?

Nick1150
04-05-2011, 02:08 PM
Hi there,

My 737NG cockpit uses a Hitachi CP-AW250NM ultimate short throw projector and I am more than happy with it. I also have a TH2GO digital seating around from my prvious setup...

Lately I've been thinking of purchasing a second projector to expand my external visuals...

I know that the issue with a dual visual setup is the fact that the center of the actual screen is between the two displays (screens or projectors) thus making landing procedures difficult (I guest) ... The scenario of purchasing two projectors instead of one to have at the end 3 projectors setup is out of my budget right now, since the Hitachi CP-AW250NM is in the 1200 euros range (!!!)

So I was wondering, does anyone here uses a dual projector setup, and share his impressions with us ? Possibly a few pics would help.

My setup:

http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/uu109/Nick1150/My%20Cockpit/IMG_0533-1.jpg

http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/uu109/Nick1150/My%20Cockpit/IMG_0534.jpg

Thanks

Sean Nixon
04-06-2011, 03:54 AM
Hi Nick

Member Clive on this forum is using two projectors the way you are describing. He lives near me and I fly his sim quite regularly. The problem you envisage is not as noticeable with projectors as it might be with monitors as there are no bezels to get in the way.

Although neither of us (both using Nthusim) have used the new edge blending feature, this can only help in this matter.

But even using edge butting as Clive is now, the join does not detract from the visual experience. Landings are fine.

Here's a video, although the position of the camera kind of hides the join. Disregard the two lines left and right of centre, they are joins in Clives hastily erected screen. He plans to make them better when he gets a chance.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nlMNExs6PvY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

One other thing worth mentioning. Clive is using two projectors from different manufacturers that he got off ebay. I think they are even quite old. They certainly have different colour rendering, which is noticeable in the video. Given all this, the join in the middle is not as intrusive as you might think.

Sean

Nick1150
04-06-2011, 04:14 AM
Hey Sean thanks for the info :)

Unfortunately, I cannot see the video since it says it is not available in my country, but I would highly appreciate if Clive could share some time with me about this matter. If it is worth, I will get the 2nd projector immidiately you see ;)

Thanks

Nick

Sean Nixon
04-06-2011, 04:28 AM
I'll let Clive know

Clive
04-06-2011, 01:27 PM
Hi Nick
I am very happy with my dual projector set up .... here is a pic. I have the right window views provided by a projector above the cockpit and to the left ...the left window views are from the right side projector which is about 10 feet apart from the left projector.

Clive

Nick1150
04-06-2011, 03:00 PM
Thanks Clive,

I really appreciate your response :)

So actually the center of the screen does not create any problems.

Clive
04-06-2011, 05:36 PM
Hi Nick

I had no problems at all with the centre of the screen.

Clive

Douglas999
05-07-2011, 04:49 PM
Hi Clive

I have just bought two ultra short throw projectors ( three would be the dream but that's for the future). Can I ask you how you have your two projectors configured i.e. what views do you use?

I have extended the desktop on to the two projectors, but when I try and stretch the window across the two, the view snaps back to one. I have managed to get the main view to run across the two projectors and open two other views for Front left, Front right which view wise looks great but it wont work in full screen. My graphics cards are nvieda. XP home, FSX.

Thanks

Douglas

Sean Nixon
05-08-2011, 05:44 AM
Douglas

Are you using a Matrox Double (or Triple) Head 2 Go in your setup? Or are the projectors connected directly to your graphics cards? This may explain some of your difficulties. I know Clive uses the DH2G, which plugs into one out on his VGA outputs, and the projectors plug into that. Therefore the PC sees the projectors as one display.

Sean

Douglas999
05-08-2011, 09:03 AM
Hi Sean

Thanks for the reply, there are few two projector set ups around.

The projectors are direct to the graphics card. I was hoping to spread the costs by buying two projectors now and then the TH2G and a third projector later. I take it the that I need to wait until I can buy the TH2G before I can span the two projectors.

Douglas

Sean Nixon
05-08-2011, 09:13 AM
I take it the that I need to wait until I can buy the TH2G before I can span the two projectors.

Douglas

I'm not 100% sure, maybe you can get it to work without the Matrox. It's just that I've used the TH2G from the start, as has Clive with his DH2G, so we've no experience in doing it your way.

With the Matrox in the equation, the PC see's the projectors as 1 screen with a resolution of, say 2048x768, and displays it as one.

Sean

Clive
05-08-2011, 12:14 PM
hi Douglas
as Sean explained I use the DHTGO from Matrox and it works fine but I have no experience of your system.

Douglas999
05-08-2011, 05:43 PM
Hi Clive
Thanks for the reply.
looks like I will need to bring forward buying at TH2G. The wide outside views look really good.

Cheers

Douglas

ArmchairAviator
11-27-2011, 09:36 AM
I know that the issue with a dual visual setup is the fact that the center of the actual screen is between the two displays (screens or projectors) thus making landing procedures difficult
Thanks

No problem at all...in VC you can slide the view to the side slightly using crtrl/alt/shift/return to shift the cockpit window frame out of the way. You can see this demonstrated near the end of video (2:34-2:45) when I am coming in to land. If you don't fly in VC then check out some of my other videos to see the join line in cockpit view...it is really not a factor at all. With a little effort you can get the blend perfect. I am using 2 Epson EX 5200 long throw projectors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72pusD2B16E

clayton4115
03-22-2012, 12:54 AM
hi

i have just purchased this projector and i have never used projectors before for FSX, i am currnetly using a 27' dell for the external view only and a 24" LCD for the instruments, am i going to be pleasantly surprised when my projector arrives,

also i do not have much room so i purchased this short throw projector,

comments appreciated!

Optoma GT750E 720p, Short Throw, 3D Projector native 1280x800 resolution

Sean Nixon
03-22-2012, 01:24 PM
Seems to get a decent review. I'm sure it will be fine. I assume you are just using the one projector projecting a single image onto a flat surface in front of the cockpit?

Sean

clayton4115
03-22-2012, 07:29 PM
Hi Sean,

Yes one projector however if i get another one at a future date what benefit will this bring?

Sean Nixon
03-23-2012, 03:03 AM
If you use a second (or third) projector solely for the external visuals, then simply put, you'll see more. Obviously, you'll need a bigger screen to take advantage. As the screen size increases, it's common to start to wrap the screen around you, so you begin to have more views to the sides. This can be either a continuous curved screen, or (typically) 3 flat screens angled from each other.

clayton4115
03-23-2012, 03:09 AM
thanks so with the projector i am getting it is 1280x800 so if i had a second one would the resolution increase to 2560 x 800 (basically i will see more of the sides of FSX?)

Sean Nixon
03-23-2012, 03:13 AM
That's it. You need to consider how the projectors will be connected to the PC (or PC's). There are various methods, each has it's pros and cons. For example, using a Matrox dual head 2 go (or triple)!

clayton4115
03-23-2012, 05:53 AM
ok thanks, i think i will wait for my first projector and see how it goes, should be fun! should arrive mid next week, will keep you updated.

clayton4115
03-24-2012, 04:30 PM
Hi,

I just realised that i am buying this from the US, however they have different voltage there to connect to the,mains power, will this be an issue for me because in Australia we have 240volts, will i need to buy an adaptor or something?

Neil Hewitt
03-24-2012, 05:35 PM
Hi,

I just realised that i am buying this from the US, however they have different voltage there to connect to the,mains power, will this be an issue for me because in Australia we have 240volts, will i need to buy an adaptor or something?

Probably not. Most appliances these days are built with dual-winding transformers that can cope with US-standard 110v and the 220/240v systems used in most other countries. It's less expensive than making different models per-territory. It'll probably come with a US mains cable in the box, though, so you'll need an Australian-style mains cable for it. I would recommend replacing the whole lead, don't just put an Oz plug on the US cable - the cable may not be rated for 240v @ whatever amps your projector needs. Do check the manual - there may be a switch hidden somewhere that you need to change when using 240v; but these days most appliances are auto-switching.

A quick Google says that this particular model from Optoma is rated for 100-240v. Assuming it's auto-switching all you need do is supply a correct mains lead and you're good to go.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma-GT750E.htm

Hope that helps...

clayton4115
03-24-2012, 06:34 PM
hello,

thank goodness, yes i checked the specs and it sayd 110v - 240v so i can safely assume i will be ok, i do have an adaptor at home so i do not think i should have any problems!

thanks for your reply,
:D

clayton4115
03-26-2012, 07:37 PM
Ok, i received both projectors now the question is as i do not have much space i can only use 1 projector, shall i use the dell s300 or the optomo 750e?

Also i am having hard time positioning the projector as if i place it behind me i get shadow of myself, if i place the projector on the side the image looks all skewed, any options without hanging on the ceiling?

Also i love the huge view but the lower resolutions will be getting used to.

clayton4115
03-27-2012, 06:04 AM
hi

on the optomo 750E it states "Maximum Resolution VGA: UXGA (1600 x 1200), HDMI: 1080p"

does this mean i can fly FSX in 1600 x 1200 using this projector?

i found the details on this link

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Optoma-GT750E-HD-720p-1080p-Short-Throw-3D-HDMI-v1-4a-DLP-Projector-GT720-/170712205925

I have not opened this projector as yet as i am still playing around with the Dell 300s i have as well.